Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having issues getting my factory steering wheel off. I am using a steering wheel puller, is there something I'm missing? Thanks-Troy

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
If you are pulling by putting the bolts through the wheel support (under the horn button) and have removed the center bolt, you should be golden. You may want to smack the wheel with your hand a few times until the initial "pop". Then it will slowly come off depending on the years of corrosion/surface rust.

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what I thought, but I just bent the bolts holding my steering wheel puller. I've removed the main nut and thought I would be good, but just checking. I'll keep working it, just wanted to make sure there wasn't a release or pin that I was missing!

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
When you screw in the steering wheel puller tighten the center bolt fairly snug and then give the center bolt a couple hits with a hammer as well. It is just stuck if the center nut is off.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Mine came off easy last week, just took the center nut off, tightened the bolts for the puller, then kept turning the "pusher" bolt till the wheel "popped", then I just pulled it out. It got interesting when I tried to pull it again a day later to re-clock it right, the dumb center nut cross-threaded itself on the way out! I had even greased the treads when the wheel was off the first time! Never seen anything like that happen before, ever! Ended up sliding a 4ft pipe through the steering wheel and then using a breaker bar and a cheater pipe on the nut, threads on the shaft show no damage whatsoever, but the nut is a bit messed up, it still holds fine but I'd really wanna replace it - what should I be looking for, 9/16-24?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Try a few drops of penetrating oil on the splines.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i have never had to use a puller. i just hit and jerk it till it comes off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow what a thread to come across. Mine REFUSES to come off. It bent the bolts on the steering wheel puller AND actually caved in a chunk of the centre stud. Beat it with a hammer to try to get it loose and still nothing. Combined puller AND going to town with a 4lb sledge and well.....my rag joint is in 2 pieces and my wheel is still on. Wow.... Hoping it'll give a little after sitting overnight with PB blaster on it. This wheel is no good now. Happy I have a good spare :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just got ambitious. Pulled the column out, set the wheel on the concrete step outside and let the column hang. Then hammered on the shaft with all I had and *pop*, came right off. Now to find my other woodgrain cruise wheel that my g/f just scored from the JY! Minor success! haha

·
aka BroncoB♥tch
839 Posts
wow sorry to hear you are having so much trouble getting off, mine was like that the first time I took it off, used a rubber mallet and gave it a few really good whacks, but now it comes off relatively easy, now getting it lined up right is another story, me and my column have this hate/hate relationship and doesn't like to cooperate with me, now matter if its straight or not when I put it on it always seems to be turned more to one side or the other once all put back together. as long as it steers I don't care anymore lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well mine will go back together alright now. My old wheel was kinda beat up (and I certainly helped! haha), and I also have to replace the shift collar. The roll pin broke at some point and the previous owner kept using it so it's now mangled and the shifter flops around all over the place. Should be fun finding a new collar, but I think I'll slap this wheel back on with a bit of anti-sieze behind it, just in case! hahaha

·
Registered
44 Posts
BTW, mine actually pulled the threads right out of the wheel with the puller. Thats how stuck it was!

·
Registered
97 Posts
wow sorry to hear you are having so much trouble getting off, mine was like that the first time I took it off, used a rubber mallet and gave it a few really good whacks, but now it comes off relatively easy, now getting it lined up right is another story, me and my column have this hate/hate relationship and doesn't like to cooperate with me, now matter if its straight or not when I put it on it always seems to be turned more to one side or the other once all put back together. lol

are we still talking about steereing wheels:toothless

:popc1:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts