Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Support our troops!
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok it is near the end of the year so let's have a little fun so out with it. What was the coolest idea you had for a Bronco Mod. that turned into a total disaster? To start off here is mine (well ok one of mine).

In doing Mt. Blanca this year I ended up tearing off my rear axle breather tube. Being the master engineer that I am (ya right) I decided that I could one-up Ford. I plugged the original breather tube and screwed a 1/2" hose barb into the filler plug. Then I ran 5/16" gas line up to the front of the engine compartment and T'ed it into the front dif., then ran the hose up to the brake M/C and tie wraped it there with a cheap fuel filter on the end to keep crap from falling into my "protected" breathing system.

Then something really bad happened, I drove my Bronco across town to my G/F's house (with her in the Bronco of course) and I found out that I not only made the best darn dif-breathing system known to man and beast but also a really efficient GEAR OIL PUMP :banghead ! Which of course was blowing 90w gear oil all over my exhaust system. Boy did I stink up her parking lot when I pulled in, not to mention all the smoke that was following me down the highway... At first I thought all the smoke was coming from a diesel truck in front of me but when I pulled off the highway there was no hiding from it, I made an awesome cloud!!!

Ok I know that I am not the only bonehead out there so "share".

dc

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
:lolup :lolup :histerica :histerica

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
While replacing my old worn out sticker nasty steering wheel with a brand new ford one made of leather I happened to get extremely cheap..........

I almost broke my nose removing the old one. Does that count? cause it felt boneheaded at the time, and is one of the few things that can make a grown man cry. No one saw me do, but I have told all you folks now, so I guess that would be boneheaded idea number 2. Maybe I should shut up now

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
Microwave toast....... :thumbup

Actually it wasn't an idea...... but the stupidist thing I've done (truck related :D ) was while reparing a crapped out tail gate motor.

Had the window not quite all the way down so the tail gate would not open. I was inside with the back panel off and the motor all wired up and ready to "test." Leaned out the window to ask a friend to touch the wires on the battery and when the window shot up.... yep.... my head was still a hanging out.

My "friend" came around to see what all the commotion was about and there I am with my head wedged in between the window and the roof. He did what any of us would do in his place after he realized I wasn't decapitated.... He starts laughin his @$$ off! Meanwhile I'm sorta sitting sorta hangin there yelling at him to get the friggin window back down! So he regains his composure and of course touches the wires on the wrong terminals cinching me up even tighter before he got it down.......

Sure was glad no one was around with a digital camera...... :doh:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ironclad said:
of course touches the wires on the wrong terminals cinching me up even tighter before he got it down.......
:lolup :lolup :lolup :lolup :lolup
you :slap your "friend"

·
Support our troops!
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ironclad said:
Microwave toast....... :thumbup

Actually it wasn't an idea...... but the stupidist thing I've done (truck related :D ) was while reparing a crapped out tail gate motor.

Had the window not quite all the way down so the tail gate would not open. I was inside with the back panel off and the motor all wired up and ready to "test." Leaned out the window to ask a friend to touch the wires on the battery and when the window shot up.... yep.... my head was still a hanging out.

My "friend" came around to see what all the commotion was about and there I am with my head wedged in between the window and the roof. He did what any of us would do in his place after he realized I wasn't decapitated.... He starts laughin his @$$ off! Meanwhile I'm sorta sitting sorta hangin there yelling at him to get the friggin window back down! So he regains his composure and of course touches the wires on the wrong terminals cinching me up even tighter before he got it down.......

Sure was glad no one was around with a digital camera...... :doh:

Had the same thing happen when working on a Saturn electric window a few years ago, glad to see I am not the only one.

dc

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
I actually watched a guy and his friend do the very same thing... I was rolling and laughing so hard that my gut hurt for days afterward... if memory serves, they had to wrench the window back down cuz they couldn't figure out how to reverse it... it was a good hour he was stuck like that... this was when I lived in Pennsylvania... it was hysterical to watch...

:beer :histerica :lolup :wacko :drinkbud

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Well All my mods rocked never had an issue with any of them. But My worst mistake was putting on a starter relay that wasn't exactly the same as what I pulled off. It was the same but different shape so the guy said.

Put it on started it. Everything was great it worked. Put my tools away and hear a engine start cranking. Think to my self, some pour saps car wont start and then laugh a second. Till I realize it's my engine cranking. So with an "OH SHIT"! I grabbed a wrench and yanked the battery cables Good thing I put an electric fuel pump on.. That would have sucked if it started.

So I took that one back and went to napa for the right one. And all was better from that day on :drinkbud

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
The dumbest thing i did this year in my truck was when i was putting an extra solenoid on the fender wall for my plow accesories...well i mounted it back a few inches from the other one by where the factory jack is mounted. Well i closed the hood after i was done and all of a sudden sparks were coming out everywhere like the fourth of july. I idn't even think about the hood coming that close to the inner fender but it sure did.

oh and another one is when i was working on making my custom bumper. I put the old chrome on back on. i slid the bumper up to the frame with the bolts in the wholes. i started to tighten up one side while the other side decided to slide off, hit the grounbd, and crack me in the head...that chrome bumper had some power behind, the only thing though is i had done it this way a million times and never had a prob, so what gives...

·
Registered
193 Posts
tried to clean inside of tailgate window by laying tailgate flat and opening window causing window to catch on outer lip of tailgate and bowing then shattering into a million tiny peices.lots of fun getting all the pieces out then shelling out the cash for the new window. .One good point: replaced rivets with screws and nuts so that should window ever have to come out or be replaced it will be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
69 Bronco crawler, 93 EB cruiser
361 Posts
jeesh, when are you going to lift that thing?! :goodfinge

my greatest idea of the year can be summed up with one picture:

my brother was driving but i definitely get dumbarse points for ensuring him that the swamp was "only up a little bit" :histerica

luckily, it's a FORD and ran the whole time, at least till we pulled it out and the smog pump seized up... then the rigging began :toothless

·
Registered
211 Posts
My bad was when I decided to resolder the rear window defrost. The wire had come undone from the window and I soldered it with my butane torch/solder pencil. I have done it before with other vehicles but never with a butane pencil that gets so hot. So just before I finished the solder job, the window shatters from the heat. So $300.00 later . . .

Kev.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Air Wrench does not insur proper torque

Guess I have to own up to it. I had The Bronco off the ground for a few days, bolted everything back together, wheels back on with my Air Wrench which I had cranked the pressure down on for another operation. Test drove around the block, all OK, parked for days, forgot the mental note to torque the wheels.

The vibration started about 5 miles form home on a busy highway. Since I was only a mile form where I was going I figured I was OK. As I turned right into the parking lot the dirvers side rear tire kept on going down the busy 4 lane highway while I rolled into the parking lot on the brake drum. I tried to loook as composed as possible as I went out into the traffic creeping around my tire layiing in the middle of the road to roll it back. People were pointing at the truck, laughing, shaking their heads. A flashing neon "DUMBASS" sign was not necessary.

A Police Officer - fortunately with a sense of humor - gave me a lift to the Parts Store where I bought new lugs, a start wrench and a small floor jack (now permanently in the back of the truck) and I was on my way, forever more humble.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Here's mine:

Oh well, live and learn.......maybe...:toothless

P.S. for those that don't know, I'm on the backside of the hole. Thats where it stopped when the engine locked. :banghead (hey at least you can see I had made it through other wise) Anyway those that were there can attest to how deep that was! :beer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.