Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay im not a bronco expert so i wana know what kinda engine i got and i looked on the engine and it said 351/400 so i know its either the winzer(SP)
or the 351 celveland(SP) thanks for the help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
The Windsor is a small block 351. The Cleveland is a big block 351. What you have is really neither. It is a combination of a 400 and a 351 that Ford used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Unless your motor has been swqpped it is neither a Windsor or a Cleveland and you can't tell by looking at them. Check the crank and if it has 5MAB, 5M or 5MA cast on the crank, then it's a 400. Otherwise it's a 351M. I supposed that you could also measure the stroke from the spark plug hole: 3.5" is 351M, 4" is 400.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
ok....post pics of the engine.......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,161 Posts
YamYZ250F said:
Okay im not a bronco expert so i wana know what kinda engine i got and i looked on the engine and it said 351/400 so i know its either the winzer(SP)
or the 351 celveland(SP) thanks for the help

If it 'said" 351m/400 on the engine anywhere it has to be the tag on the valve cover since that is the ONLY place the engine data ever resided on these engines. That said, the ssame tag wil indicate what displacement you have. (Assuming, of course, the valve covers are still on the original engine).
On the valve cover tag:

First line is "Engine Family: 351m/400"
Second line "Engine Displacement: 351m (or 400)"

The 351m and 400 are officially small-block 'Cleveland engines', but are distinctly different from the 351C, with taller decks, larger cranks with 351W-sized main journals, and a big-block bell housing pattern. So...they are a small-block that is as tall as a big block and with big-block 429/460 bell housing pattern. Confused now?...yr in good company :toothless
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
huh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
Crawdad said:
The Windsor is a small block 351. The Cleveland is a big block 351. What you have is really neither. It is a combination of a 400 and a 351 that Ford used.


Either i completely misunderstood what this guy said...


or he's fukkin retarded...




:popc1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
bmc69 said:
If it 'said" 351m/400 on the engine anywhere it has to be the tag on the valve cover since that is the ONLY place the engine data ever resided on these engines. That said, the ssame tag wil indicate what displacement you have. (Assuming, of course, the valve covers are still on the original engine).
On the valve cover tag:

First line is "Engine Family: 351m/400"
Second line "Engine Displacement: 351m (or 400)"

The 351m and 400 are officially small-block 'Cleveland engines', but are distinctly different from the 351C, with taller decks, larger cranks with 351W-sized main journals, and a big-block bell housing pattern. So...they are a small-block that is as tall as a big block and with big-block 429/460 bell housing pattern. Confused now?...yr in good company :toothless
great post thanks, BMC69. Sometimes reading a little further will help clear things up before posting a reply. my .02
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,161 Posts
and there is a dedicated section on the ProjectBronco forum for the 335-series engines that is packed full of good data and a ready source of info from some guys who get a LOT out of the 400s....including Pantera builds.
 

·
Chaos is coming!!
Joined
·
515 Posts
These are good motors. I've had a lot of luck with these. I have one in a 79 that I use for racing and it is a powerhouse. It is a 351 Modified or a 400. The only way to tell is to look coe the castings or measure the stroke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
I must be out of luck cause mines not running.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the info guys, next time i go up i will take down more info of the engine, mine isnt running either i need to put a battery in it and see if it even turns over,i do know i need a new tranny for it though it only goes in reverse so ive been told
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top