Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be helping my roommate look at an Explorer for his little sister. It's a 2000 on 35" tires apparently with a crate engine and 70,000 miles. Not sure if that is on the engine or everything but. I'm concerned that it has not been regeared and will be taking a gearing chart for 35" tires that shows the RPMs for different gears. I'll also bring my GPS and compare indicated speed to the actual speed. It looks like it takes close to 9" of lift to fit the 35s so I'll see how the lift has been done.. I know by now what's right and what isn't.

What notorious weak spots are there on the Explorers?

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
i cant really think of anything offhand thats bad about the gen 2's....

nope, not off the top of my head...

get some pics of it!

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
BALL JOINTS They make me all kinds of money at work. The front driveshafts usually wear fast. What engine? the dual overhead cam 4.0 is garbage. I don't personally like the alternate 4.0, but it can be ok when maintained. Those may have had the option for the 5.0 or 4.6, both a good choice.

Also ive put a bunch of multifunction switches on the columns, make sure all the lights work.

And with that much lift/tires I would think twice about it period. "normal" wear goes out the window. You will be replacing ball joints once and year, not to mention wheel bearings, axles, steering parts. Better be a "toy" truck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It all depends who you talk to about them, I have a one cousin who had nothing but problems with his. Then I have another cousin who had put I think around 150,000 miles on one with out an problems. Then I know 3 others who have had one in the past & they swear they would never buy one again. I had one and the intake manifold had to be replace 4 times. Cracked cylinder heads is a very well know problem with them. Here is a link that details know common problems for these trucks http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2000/ Good luck.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
BALL JOINTS They make me all kinds of money at work. The front driveshafts usually wear fast. What engine? the dual overhead cam 4.0 is garbage. I don't personally like the alternate 4.0, but it can be ok when maintained. Those may have had the option for the 5.0 or 4.6, both a good choice.

Also ive put a bunch of multifunction switches on the columns, make sure all the lights work.

And with that much lift/tires I would think twice about it period. "normal" wear goes out the window. You will be replacing ball joints once and year, not to mention wheel bearings, axles, steering parts. Better be a "toy" truck.
their is no DOHC 4.0, its OHV (which was phased out in 1997) and SOHC....

the gen 2 had the 5.0L (which IMO is the best) the 4.0 SOHC's had timing chain problems i believe, otherwise just keep up on maintenance and it will be fine...

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
\daily driver for a girl in high school and then university.
RUN. it will get expensive. stuff like that is not designed to be driven everyday and be dependable. Those things EAT balljoints with the stock 235/75/15's on it. You said it has 35's? If its still got the stock suspension it will be trashed.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
their is no DOHC 4.0, its OHV (which was phased out in 1997) and SOHC....

the gen 2 had the 5.0L (which IMO is the best) the 4.0 SOHC's had timing chain problems i believe, otherwise just keep up on maintenance and it will be fine...
you are correct. I always got them confused. SOHC had timing chain problems. OHV was the other option

5.0 all the way. I really dont like the 4.0s

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I had a 95 sport 4x4 w/ the SOHC 4.0. I sold it with 197k miles. I got it when it had 94k. The only thing I did was change the egr sensor....thats it. I would say its the best SUV for the money...period. I put mine through hell with only oil changes. I think I flushed the tranny once. The others are right about the ball joints, however. When they wear out you'll know it. You can't turn your radio up loud enough. They will sequel and creek louder than an ambulances' siren. I would not hesitate to buy another even with high miles if I were in the market for one.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Well, it's an Exploder. Meaning it failed right there.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
My 98 5.0 AWD has been pretty bulletproof. I beat the piss out of it, haul way too much w/ it, drive it every day and it runs like a champ. It's only got 130k on it but it hasn't been taken care of by it's passed owners. I also go through ball joints way too often.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Well i have a '93 which i drive every day. tow a trailer with it, have towed fullsize trucks behind it even, a few times.. i 4 wheel it a little too. it's been pretty bulletproof. it had about 160k on it when i got it, has 212 on it now. its had 31" tires the whole time.

of course. i don't think a '00 would have a single part in common with my 93. so that pretty much makes my rating useless.

i do agree though, that 35" tires on asphalt all day long would be a bit rough on it's stock suspension, steering, etc. why not get her something a little more stock since she isn't going to be wheelin' it anyway?

·
Garage kept
1,186 Posts
I have a 97 ex 5.0 with all the goodies. It has been tons of fun. I have 0 complaints other than the ifs that has as much flex as a lawnmower. Hub assemblies & ball joints are a regular thing with only 285's.
I took care of the d-shaft and AWD crap with a BW4406 f-150 t-case.

I re-geared to 4:10s which is a MUST

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Damn man..sick explorer, fusion, and bronco there..I'm coming to live w/ you guys

·
Registered
670 Posts
my freind has a 99 2 door sport with the 4.0 in it, i about $hit when i saw the lift kit he was wanting to buy, i think it was only like 4 inches but it was going to cost him 2 grand, around here you could buy a decent bronco for 2 grand :shocked

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Well, it's an Exploder. Meaning it failed right there.
which is why it was the best selling SUV in america for over 10 years :uhoh3

My brothers 1998 never had any problems from the time he owned it with 33k miles on it, to when he sold it with 118k miles... 5.0 AWD great truck, he's still kicking himself for ever selling it :rofl:

I would have to say that the v8's were the most dependable, because the drivetrain was all tried and true parts... 5.0L we all know those last, and the 4R70W is a great trans... the 4R/5R55E's are weak, the 4.0 SOHC's had timing chain problems and the 4.0 OHV could blow head gaskets and what not....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts