Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Trac-loc in the d44??

• Leave it open

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Trac-loc *****...(dont say ARB cant afford it)

Votes: 24 75.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 91 is getting a d44 SAS this summer...i beginning to gather parts...
since im am upgrading the 3.54 gears to 4.56..im gonna need a new carrier..
i live in pa and the truck is a daily driver and occasional weekend warrior...it will see a lot more of paragon after the SAS but still is my daily driver..

im thinking of putting a trac-loc upfront i can find one on ebay pretty cheap ...the added traction would be great...However ive been told not to do this because of problems driving in the snow..specifically steering...im not one to use my 4wd all the time in the snow unless i need it..

so what do you think leave it open up front (requires buying a 3.93 and up open carrier for 50 bux) or put the trac-loc in and suck it up???

dc

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
i would go trac lok since you can't afford ARB. Mine was rebuilt and is kinda of annoying so far as it is almost totally locked front. Like you were saying in the snow, i have to push in the clutch and coast around tight corners, and no gunning it or i go straight. Doesn't help with a rear locker though.

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Get a lock-rite. Awesome reliable locker that does very well on the street also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the trac loc. I had a ranger that had a trac loc in the rear, and it didn't like going off road. It's good if you like to launch tho.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Hear say has it that trac-loc's wear out and basically become an open carrier. Just buy the open and weld it up. Nice locker. Need it in the snow just lock in one wheel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
82Brizonco said:
I'm not a big fan of the trac loc. I had a ranger that had a trac loc in the rear, and it didn't like going off road. It's good if you like to launch tho.

trac locs are made by dana for dana axles only i thought, what axle was in that ranger cuz it might just have been a ford limited slip which are garbage. any way i put a trac loc in the front of my bronco, works great off road but on the road it sucks because it does not like to slip much, it almost acts like a locker kinda

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
lightnin said:
Hear say has it that trac-loc's wear out and basically become an open carrier. Just buy the open and weld it up. Nice locker. Need it in the snow just lock in one wheel.
hearsay eh? John, john.......I'd say anyone ever owning one would say it's factual. but on a more technical note, it's not hearsay...traclocs use clutches that wear (fairly quickly as far as miles go). As they wear the grip or "lockup" (not really lockup but rather ability to transfer power to the wheel with traction) tends to go with it. sure you can put new clutches in, but the carriers for these are weak with all the metal removed, they are only maginal as far as added traction they give, and the clutch wear is just a PITA.

If not an ARB full locker (spensive unless you find one used for around $400 or so), I would think about a tru trac limited slip (does not use clutches).

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Shadofax said:
hearsay eh? John, john.......I'd say anyone ever owning one would say it's factual. but on a more technical note, it's not hearsay...traclocs use clutches that wear (fairly quickly as far as miles go). As they wear the grip or "lockup" (not really lockup but rather ability to transfer power to the wheel with traction) tends to go with it. sure you can put new clutches in, but the carriers for these are weak with all the metal removed, they are only maginal as far as added traction they give, and the clutch wear is just a PITA.

If not an ARB full locker (spensive unless you find one used for around $400 or so), I would think about a tru trac limited slip (does not use clutches).
What is what I figured. I wasn 99% sure of that. That is why I said Hear Say. I have welded front. Probably won't ever change.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
im not a fan of a welded front, especially in the snow. thats like playing russian roulette with 5 in the chamber.....i say lock rite, ive run it in blizzards and was glad i had it.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
By chance, what was the cost on that?

I'm one for the solid front and just locking one hub. But then again, I'm a crazy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts