Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it has been covered on lots of threads here and there.

But I am planning on going with a BDS stage 2 lift with their replacement radius arms. I see everywhere that 3.5" bs is ideal on these trucks if your running a 6" lift with 35s. Where does this leave the wheels on say a 17x8.5 or so wide wheel outside the fender wells? I want a wider stance but it seems NO newer style 17" wheels have that small of backspacing. They are all in the 4.5" range which seems that it will tuck you under to far. And probably rub even with aftermarket radius arms.

any pics people have with BS numbers and wheel, lift and tire size? Anyone running a 4.5" bs wheel and what does it look like?

The only other option on newer more BS wheels is spacers to bring it on down. We all know about going there

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4" backspace works awesome on 17x9" wheels, pretty much flush w the edge of the fender bulge.

Im wanting to go a bit wider and still have clearance on radius arms. 'im going to run a 35" toyo MT i can almost be sure on tire brand, and a 17" rim with BDS suspension. anyone close to running a set up like this? i would like to retain as much turning radius as possible without dealing with rubbing on radius arms. (hard to keep and let the woman understand that dont turn lock to lock HAHAHA:histerica )

·
Registered
373 Posts
Then you'll have to either find that 17x8.5 in a 3.5" B.S. (best of luck), which will have 5" of wheel hanging out past the hub face and 'bout another 1.5-2" of tire sticking out past the outside wheel edge, or run 1" spacers (definitely not ideal and expensive) on 4.5" B.S. 17x8.5 rim. Keep in mind that the wider your stance is, the more load is put on your wheel bearings and hub.

Most "newer style" alloy wheels look terrible on our trucks, IMO. I paid less than I would of for ugly aftermarket alloys to get custom backspaced steel 17x9" wheels from Cragar (<$420 shipped).

·
Registered
7 Posts
In short be it 8 or 12 bolts when we cut out the stock WMS and supply the new centers, the new centers are welded into the shell on the wheels making them all but the same design. Only real difference is that one has 8 bolts and the other has 12. I know at some point the 12 bolt is a stronger wheel but I'm yet to see an 8 bolt fail. As a rule of thumb I tell people if you are going to run them on a heavy tow rig or run a tire over 44" tall to go with the 12 bolts. Anything 44 or less, 8 or 12 bolt wheels work just the same.

(Picture of a recentered 12 bolt wheel.) This wheel has been recenteredd with a pressed center and does have rock rings added to it, has been powder coated.)

Note: This is an 8 bolt with a pressed center and no rock rings welded in. Wheel has been powder coated)

Q: Do I need to recenter the stock wheels?

A: In short 99% of the time the anser is Yes. The wheels are 9" Wide with a 7" Back space or (BS). This means that your wheel will be tucked under your rig 7" of the 9" width. Most can get away with this on the rear axle. But on the front you will hit your tie rod. There are ways to run the wheels in stock form. Wheel spacers. As spacer that bolts to your stock hubs, these spacers have a different set of lugs in the same 8x6.5 bolt patern that are spaced out 2" further than your stock hub. This allows you to run the stock wheel. For the hardcore wheeler spacers are not the best choice, recentering the wheels would be a better route. There are companys that make HighSteer arms that make it to where you run a shorter tie rod. stock wheels can be run that way. The last way is if you use Hubs off of a truck that had dual rear wheels. Those hubs are wider and allow you to run stock wheels. All in all most of the time you are better off going with a recentered wheels as the list of things above will prob. end up costing you the same if not more than just starting with a recentered wheel.

Q: Can I run Radials on my 8 bolts? Can I run Bias ply on my 12 bolts.

A: Yes. Both wheels work the same with radials or bias ply tires. I suggest PVC inserts for all wheel purchases. They are what make the wheels double beadlocks when installed and they do not have a profile like "run flats" do. They allow you to air all the way down to 0 Psi if you would like and not have any problems.

Q: Are these DOT approved?

A: To cover my ass I have to tell everyone that anything I sell is for off road use only. That being said. The stock wheels are stamped DOT approved. These are the wheels that all the humvees blaze down the road on every day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
this is from trailworthyfab.com $175 dbl beadlock w/ 37 12.50 they press new centers to what ever you like and w that 6" lift it'll look sweet

·
Premium Member
7,131 Posts
I have been looking at 17's myself and all of them have like 4.5 inch back spacing and my 15x10's are 3-5/8's. I found a couple 17's that have less but they are either cheap steel wheels or way expensive beadlocks.

I am just kind of curios why they don't make many 17 inch wheels with less back spacing.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have been looking at 17's myself and all of them have like 4.5 inch back spacing and my 15x10's are 3-5/8's. I found a couple 17's that have less but they are either cheap steel wheels or way expensive beadlocks.

I am just kind of curios why they don't make many 17 inch wheels with less back spacing.
Walker Evans makes 17" simulated bead locks in 3.75" backspacing. High quality stuff. Bingo.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

That has been my problem to, most your wheels are 4.5" or 5.0 + or - a few. Youll need at least a 1" adaptor to make any of the wheels work. Grr, I think 4.5" would just be to damn inset. not 100% sure but I will be doing a stage 2 lift with 35s. Just not sure if Ill still get rubbing with no adaptor.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts

Most of the newer trucks are becoming setup opposite of us. The wheels they need have the face sitting way out (little or no backspace). So companies are building wheels for the long term trend (little or no neg. backspace or maybe even + BS) with these newer trucks that commonly come stock with 16 or 17rims already.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
I'm running in to this problem as well. I've had a chance to buy several really nice sets of wheels at 16.5" dia. but you can't find any good tires for them unless you are going huge. I want to run the BFG KM2's but they don't have anything for a 16.5" rim other than the 35 AT's.

I plan on running no bigger than 37's and I am about to settle on a 17" rim due to the tire choices I have. I would like to run the hummer H2 wheels but they have 5 or 5.5" backspacing and to me that's too much.

I would absolutely love to have a set of Walker Evans but good Lord they love them things and if you find a used set they are usually beat to death.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
very true on the 16.5's there is little selection.

On the wheels, nice alloy ones have really gotten reaonable. I just bought a set of the 17x9 Ion Alloys for $139/ea. It used to be that I wouldn't have gone this route, but a steel wheel of the same size is around $100 these days, so it's not that big a deal to me. I just couldn't see paying more than $200 for a wheel. The tires for 17's were already over $300/ea.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
very true on the 16.5's there is little selection.

On the wheels, nice alloy ones have really gotten reaonable. I just bought a set of the 17x9 Ion Alloys for $139/ea. It used to be that I wouldn't have gone this route, but a steel wheel of the same size is around $100 these days, so it's not that big a deal to me. I just couldn't see paying more than $200 for a wheel. The tires for 17's were already over $300/ea.
Which wheel and backspacing did you go with? what size tire and lift?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Which wheel and backspacing did you go with? what size tire and lift?
The wheel backspacing is 4.68" (-8mm offset). Tires are 37x12.5x17 MTR Kevlar with roughly 6" lift

1 - 20 of 30 Posts