Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy, this is the first time posting for me but i was just seein if this has happen to anyone else. last night while drivin up to our mall round here front left wheel locked up then became free again i had a feeling it was my wheel bearing but the tire became free again, while goin up the bypass it started makein sounds again i pulled over n by this time i new it was my wheel bearings. i just replaced the other side last week. i took it down to the metal shop that i work at n started tearing the hub assembly apart. when i started tale the nut off (the one piece nut) it broke n the key way was still on there i finaly got it out pull off the hub n rotor assembly n i find my bearing welded onto my spindle. i heated it up with the oxygen cedline torch n it still didnt come off well long story short the race feel right out of the hub assemly, 20 dollars into 70 dollars. but i was just woundering if this has happen to anyone else, why would both bearings go exaclty a week apart? sorry for the long thread but this is first time useing this n just figureing out how to do this all, thank you

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
varner17 said:
howdy, this is the first time posting for me but i was just seein if this has happen to anyone else. last night while drivin up to our mall round here front left wheel locked up then became free again i had a feeling it was my wheel bearing but the tire became free again, while goin up the bypass it started makein sounds again i pulled over n by this time i new it was my wheel bearings. i just replaced the other side last week. i took it down to the metal shop that i work at n started tearing the hub assembly apart. when i started tale the nut off (the one piece nut) it broke n the key way was still on there i finaly got it out pull off the hub n rotor assembly n i find my bearing welded onto my spindle. i heated it up with the oxygen cedline torch n it still didnt come off well long story short the race feel right out of the hub assemly, 20 dollars into 70 dollars. but i was just woundering if this has happen to anyone else, why would both bearings go exaclty a week apart? sorry for the long thread but this is first time useing this n just figureing out how to do this all, thank you
Happens all the time. Too many miles, you went wheelin' and didn't clean crap out, you did new bearings and didn't set preload right, yada yada.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i figured that but i mean its just weird them goin at the same time i tore the hubs apart befor when i put new rotors on but i just didnt no if it would be becasue of the tires vibrating becasue there super swampers 34s n there cupped pretty bad or the stress its puttin on the bearings or somethin deeper than that

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i no this may not be the place to ask, but how do you guys get pictures n your specs under your name?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
varner17 said:
yeah i figured that but i mean its just weird them goin at the same time i tore the hubs apart befor when i put new rotors on but i just didnt no if it would be becasue of the tires vibrating becasue there super swampers 34s n there cupped pretty bad or the stress its puttin on the bearings or somethin deeper than that
By them going shortly after one another, and you having messed with them 1 week earlier, I can only speculate you did not preload/use proper spec for putting it all together. So you'd need to elaborate on that.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Shadofax said:
By them going shortly after one another, and you having messed with them 1 week earlier, I can only speculate you did not preload/use proper spec for putting it all together. So you'd need to elaborate on that.
:stupid

Everything Shadofax said. And no, just installing 34 inch Swampers won't make the bearings go bad. The extra weight will take the bearings out faster than normal, but as an example, with my 36" Swampers and 37" MTR's, the bearings only needed to be replaced about every 12 to 18 months.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
varner17 said:
Beyond what we've told you, if you tires are "cupping pretty bad" it also sounds like you have bad alignment issues. Doesn't really matter what tire you're talking about (course swampers are heavier, don't balance as well, blah blah). If you're out of alignment it can make the tires shimmy, wear badly, and could cause issues with worn steering components, trouble with bearings. But again I would tell us your procedure for doing bearings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
actually that did happen to me it looked exactly like that, i went out to our junk yard n got a new spindel, well the 1 piece nut burned up n i needed to get it out of my work place n they gave me the 3 piece nut. is that a bad set up, should i go back to the one piece nut, everything went back together fine but i am just wonderin if it will screw anyhing up becasue of it not be the 1 piece nut?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, yeah so your sayin just go back to the 1 piece nut...i have it in now i ordered a one piece nut from ford (the only place i could get it) but i wasnt sure if i needed it or not so i was goin to return it i will be gettin it monday n todays sat. so is it ok to drive till monday?

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
Myfullsize said:
You gotta love TTB, theres some connection there, though many will not admit it. Put a shitty suspension on a vehicle, and expect the bearings to last. Not.
Steve83 said:
MFS
The wheel bearings are carryovers from the solid D44, and the suspension has nothing to do with the wheel bearings life, so your theory doesn't hold water.
lol i find that funny
another person talking shit about ttb and dont know wtf there talking about:histerica

·
Registered
604 Posts
had Bias 40' TSL's that shook the front end violently above 25

Had perfect alignement but they are Impossible to balance. They shook so bad due to the big lugs grabing the road the wheel bearings always needed replacement after a few weeks, the last time it disentegrated breaking the lock ring an shearing all the threads off the spindle......not to mention having the brake pads fall out of their seat thus losing brakes.

now i have 35' dunlops....no more shaking an my wheel bearings are much happier now:thumbup

an still have perfect alignement......

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Steve83 said:
varner
Click my signature & look in the Brakes & Hubs album. There are a group of photos & diagrams showing the 3-screw locks & hex nut.

MFS
The wheel bearings are carryovers from the solid D44, and the suspension has nothing to do with the wheel bearings life, so your theory doesn't hold water.
Agreed.

Original poster....one last time or stop asking for info...how did you do your bearings? give us your procedure or go away. we'll tell you right or wrong. Does that worry you?

My fullsize.....
Another slap at the TTB is not warranted. Seeing as you no longer have a Bronco, take your opinion elsewhere.

You own a Jeep. Go post with them about how you hate TTB and love your D30/D35C axles.

No offense to you, always liked your past posts, but now you just post negatively about the TTB. and not much else. good luck to ya, and bye....:thumbup

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry i forgot that i was suppose to post my procedure i just was tryin to make sure my tire wouldnt fall off or **** antying up on the axle. but anyways this is what i do, take off the manual hub cover, take out the spring n that gear that goes inside of the alum piece that meashes with the hub, then i take off the big O ring n then the small c clip. after all that is out i take out the nut (with the 4 prong) then pull off the hub rotor, when i reasemble i make the the races are in good seated the whole way, then i pack the bearings real real good n even put more grease on so its like globs, put the rear seal on put the rotor back on put the outer bearing in seat it in there with my hands put the nut on spin the rotor when tighting the night as tight as possible then backing it off then snuging it while spinning the rotor then i put the rest of the guts in. n thats what i do i mean these bearings that i had n there that burned up they had to be in there from 88 becasue n old guy owned this n when i got it, it had 28,000 on it soo i dont no, sorry for it bein so long but thats what i do:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oops i didnt mean to put the f word in there sorry people lol i didnt realize till i just looked at it

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
MyFullSize said:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58961
You gotta love TTB, theres some connection there, though many will not admit it. Put a shitty suspension on a vehicle, and expect the bearings to last. Not.
I never had axle or suspension problems with my TTB bronco's. The bearings lasted a LONG time with 33's. That Dana 44 is one tough SOB, either in a solid axle or in TTB form.

The only axle problems I have ever had were with that crappy Dana 30 that comes in jeeps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i havent had problems with the axles at all the 44 or the 9". the only other thing i aint understandin is when i come to a stop like the back end kicks up, n when i go it like pops back down. i dont no if its brakes or if my axle is twistin up in the back..but whatever you guys can help me on becasue i dont no if i should start a new post bout all the problems...n theres one more problem to, when i first got it id be driving when it would shift into OD, im pretty sure its that gear. anyways it would like slam in i thought it was the U joints but i checked n theres not alot of play in it. i wouldnt think it was the front becasue im in 2wd when it does it...but yeah if i should start a new post for them 2 questions tell me. i just want to learn how to use this corretly n not make as many posts..thanks

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Steve83 said:
varner
Punctuation is free - use all you want. ;)
:histerica :toothless

It is helpful. From what I was able to read it sounds like he's doing the wheel bearings properly. I just hate those little 1 nut locknut deals. Much prefer the inner/outer nut and lockwasher setup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey man thats just the way i am.:) not to smart but o well. n i mean if i was in school id be punctating but im not. typein online is the only time that i dont puctate...but there ya go better? lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts