Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone near the westside of LA able to help me with my wheel bearings?
My front auto hub on the passenger side is loose again. I got some help over the summer at spectures pad and it was properly tightened. But I would like to fix this for good now. I see the Timkin bearings on summit but I'm not sure which pieces I need. Anyone got a link to a diagram on these things? Yeah I know I need the manual hubs, I am working on it.

Thanks in advance guys!

:rockon:rockon:rockon:rockon

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
IIRC you need the special pronged "4x4 socket", costs around $17.00 most auto stores and tear everything down to the spindle. Timken is a good USA brand, replace any/all and repack bearings with a synthetic grease, check the "torque specs" using a torque wrench for the hub lock nut etc.

FSB "search tool" above, Haynes Repair Manual, www.broncolinks.com or FSB member El Kabong's - baba loohey's favorite FSB links and questions should give you enough help info.

It's more of a PITA job then complicated and you should be able to do it yourself in the driveway....

Best I can offer.....:beer

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
328 Posts
This info is from Oreillys website. I think the part numbers directly interchange with Timken. For the inner bearing, you want A-37. Since you had autolocking hubs stock, you want A-35 for the outer bearing. If you need to use the spindle nut wrench I can mail it to you. Just make sure you send it back when you're done...

Front outer bearings, P/N A35
Cone Part Number: LM501349
Cone Bore: 1.625 in. (41.275mm)
Cone Length: 0.78 in. (19.812mm)
Cone Radius: 0.14 in. (3.556mm)

Cup Part Number: LM501310
Cup Outside Diameter: 2.891 in. (73.431mm)
Cup Length: 0.58 in. (14.732mm)
Cup Radius: 0.031 in. (0.787mm)

Front inner bearing, P/N A37
Cone Part Number: LM603049
Cone Bore: 1.7812 in. (45.242mm)
Cone Length: 0.7812 in. (19.842mm)
Cone Radius: 0.14 in. (3.556mm)

Cup Part Number: LM603011
Cup Outside Diameter: 3.0625 in. (77.788mm)
Cup Length: 0.5937 in. (15.08mm)
Cup Radius: 0.031 in. (0.787mm)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JKossarides, as always thanks for the tip. I'll starting looking for the 4x4 tool, there are a couple of competent auto part stores still around in my neighborhood. Wish me luck.
scld1354, if I cant find it I'll be hitting you up for sure. thanks man.
I saw a couple videos on youtube showing how to remove and repack the bearings, I'm going to review as much info as I can.
I just called napa in big bear and they said they need the exact build date of my bronco, something about different versions and different bearing configurations, either way, I'll get the timkins as soon as I figure out the correct ones to use.

Thanks again for all the info guys!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've been meaning to perform this repair as well.
I've read the write-ups on it and it's definitely a PITA so I was considering having a shop perform it.

Mike310 - let me know when you're going to do it. i'd love to come by and watch the work being performed. i may even lend a hand. :toothless
just trying to get an idea of the process.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts