Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 78, both wheel cylinders are leaking. Do you guys recommend replacing brakes at same time while your in there
Any recommendations on brand
Thanks for your knowledge

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
I would replace everything, wheel cylinders, brake shoes and brake hardware.

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Super Moderator
26,092 Posts
Yo Rudy,
Welcome!
Inspection and Verification
NOTE: Occasional brake squeal can be caused by environmental conditions such as cold ambient temperatures, heat, rain, snow, salt, mud, hot ambient temperatures or high humidity. This occasional squeal is not a functional problem and does not indicate any loss in brake effectiveness.

Performing the following inspection procedures.
Look for leaks. Clean the unit and remove the brake master cylinder filler cap. Check the fluid level. Check the condition of the gasket.
With the engine running, apply force to the brake pedal and hold for ten seconds. If brake pedal height cannot be maintained for 10 seconds or the brake warning light comes on, service is required.
Visually examine front and rear tires and wheel assemblies for damage such as uneven wear, tread washouts, or sidewall damage. Make sure the tires are of the same size, type and, where possible, same manufacturer. Any tire or wheel that is damaged should be replaced.
Wheels and tires must be cleared of any foreign matter, and tire pressures adjusted to the correct specifications. If tires exhibit uneven wear or feathering, the cause must be corrected. Check steering and suspension components for damage/wear and, if necessary, check and adjust steering alignment.
Check hydraulic hoses and tubes for leaks, cracks, chaffing, and distortions. The fasteners that hold these components in place should also be checked.
NOTE: Do not pry under or otherwise disturb the dust boot. This may destroy a very important seal. If there is leakage, it will find its way around the dust boot.
With the brake drum removed, check for loose or worn parts. Check the rear wheel cylinder for leakage around the dust boot.
Check for proper installation, leakage, caliper slide lubrication and excessive wear along caliper supports.
Test the instrument cluster warning light. Apply the parking brake. Check that the light comes on when you start the engine.
Release the hand brake. Check that the warning light goes off.

Replace calipers in pairs
Work on one wheel at a time

Bench bleed master cylinder
Inspect brake lines and hoses.
Here is;
1978 Bronco Dealer Brochure via member Indybronco

MANY 78 Parts Break-Out Diagrams by member Indybronco (Lula Mae) @ pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

1978 Bronco Emission Component Location Diagrams via 78brncoxlt

1978 Ford Bronco & Truck Wiring Diagrams by Ford via member Bronc Mom @ Demo78 wiring diagram.pdf

1979 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual via member Ziggy; similar to 78.

1979 Wiring Schematics, Connector Pin-outs, etc by member Ranger429 @ 79 wiring schematics
Similar to 78

Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop by Dave Resch @ Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop

78 351M/400 Engine Exhaust Emission Control Information Decal & Timing by member grovermyson @ Timing - Do I need to do anything ?

C6 Auto Transmission, if equipped, Description & Operation, Adjustments, Diagnosis & Testing (partial), Disassembly & Assembly, Parts Break-Out Diagram, Hydraulic Control System Diagram, Removal & Installation & Specifications @ https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_155464716156516&key=6ed47b392b9edfe394b9e89b72717104&libId=ju70qeuf01000bgv000MAb4isjltc&loc=https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/6-1978-79-bronco-tech/210246-c6-rebuild.html&v=1&opt=true&out=http://www.thedieselfiles.com/Ford/C6%20Automatic%20tranny.pdf&ref=https://www.google.com/&title=C6 Rebuild - Ford Bronco Forum&txt=Description & Operation, Adjustments, Diagnosis & Testing (partial), Disassembly & Assembly, Parts Break-Out Diag...

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

Ford Shop Manual Diagrams: 1978-1979 Full Size Shop Manuals, partial @ Technical Diagrams Archives
My Tablet takes too long to download, so try the first in this list as long as you have Adobe Acrobat 9 installed. Let me know if the downloads are worth the effort.
Includes:
Wiring Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Rear Lights Diagram
Motor Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Air Cleaner Diagram
Chassis Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes '78 Brakes Diagram, Gas Tank Setup Diagram
Body Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes; Upper Body Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, heater Ducts Diagram, Tailgate Diagram, Console Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, Grill Setup Diagram, Heater Controls Diagram, Interior Trip Diagram, Rear Sheetmetal Diagram, Tilt wheel Diagram, Tire Rack.

For any Bronco issues or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Build section that requires a 30 post count & Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How to Use Search and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)including, "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc.

Try to find time to Participate and VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes. They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!

Al

·
Registered
2-78 bronco,s-I is a ranger xlt and one is a custom-It has original 4 speed and I put a 390 in it
73 Posts
I would since I had it apart.. Might consider flushing out the old fluid as well. A vacuum pump like this makes easy work of it.
Why not use the bleeder bottle . It gets the old fluid out good .When you bleed the brakes and it might cost $3.00 for everything?

·
Registered
none :(
30 Posts
Brake cylinders can be rebuilt for cheap compared to buying a new one look up rebuild kits. Just two o-ring's and the boots need to be replaced. Sometimes they need to be honed so thats something to look out for. Although anybody with a bench vise and a drill can do that. A leaking axle seal will get gear oil all up in there to so look out for that and once a brake shoe or pad gets covered in brake fluid or gear oil I would change it instead of trying to clean it. Unless you want your brake shoes wet so the rear brakes don't work so well so you can do better burnouts. Good luck

Bud

·
Registered
239 Posts
Last time I looked wheel cylinders for these truck cost about 12 bucks.
so cheap I am worried
With that rebuilding ourselves might be better

·
Registered
none :(
30 Posts
Last time I looked wheel cylinders for these truck cost about 12 bucks.
so cheap I am worried
With that rebuilding ourselves might be better
Lol I hear ya. To cheap to be good. The 9" had a long production run and the axle is everywhere so it makes sense it would be cheap. Just go ahead and go disc's in the rear if you're looking to spend money lol. Oooooo 800 over at lmc truck I didn't think it was that expensive. Do they stop 788 bucks better? I doubt it

Bud

1 - 9 of 9 Posts