Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'93 XLT 5.8 E40D Emerald Green
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm just running 32x11.50 tires and a 1" body lift...plenty for me at my age, lol. However, I would like to see the wheel wells full of tire. I'm thinking i'd need to go 1" to 1-1/2" to get them to the outside of the fenders a bit.

So...it's safe to do? What sizes are available? What is considered too much? Any manufacturer I should use in particular? Why?

$ _$$02 New Tires.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am against the use of wheel spacers and body lifts. All those do is increase the leverage applied to bolting which increases the risk of breakage. My recommendation (and this is as a mechanical engineer) is to use appropriate suspension lifts and offset wheel sizes.

but many people use them without issue, if it is just a driver, it isn't being bashed on or abused, failure is unlikely.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am against the use of wheel spacers and body lifts. All those do is increase the leverage applied to bolting which increases the risk of breakage. My recommendation (and this is as a mechanical engineer) is to use appropriate suspension lifts and offset wheel sizes.

but many people use them without issue, if it is just a driver, it isn't being bashed on or abused, failure is unlikely.

Well, at 64 , I tend to agree with you. It just recently came to me, in very good shape really. The body lift was already done, the stock wheels were good enough for me, and I certainly will rarely have it offroad, so as they are in use pretty commonly, I just thought I would research them.

Thanks for your opinions, Jimmy Dean, really!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well, at 64 , I tend to agree with you. It just recently came to me, in very good shape really. The body lift was already done, the stock wheels were good enough for me, and I certainly will rarely have it offroad, so as they are in use pretty commonly, I just thought I would research them.

Thanks for your opinions, Jimmy Dean, really!
just remember, my word isn't bible. I have an 82 with a body lift on it as well, was on it when I got it just haven't bothered with removing it yet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, after searching here...maybe not such a good idea.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have zero data to support my position (so there's that) but I think many spacer failures are operator error. Things like not replacing lug studs (if too short) or not seating them properly if replaced, not understanding lug versus hub centric with respect to spacers and/or lug nuts, not following up on any retorque checks if recommended, , not degreasing them prior to install, etc. The torque and load transmission path is through friction - that doesn't change whether a spacer exists or not. But there's a lot of details to make that work that I don't think the common user really gets into.

That said, I also avoid them, and will pick a wheel width and offset that works for what I am looking for when the time comes.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,985 Posts
Agree with above. Spacers are fine as long as looked over correctly. I have ran them in the past with no ill effects. However have since gotten the correct offset wheels.
I would also only consider this kind of spacer, which bolts on with another set of wheel studs, not the kind that slip over your current wheels studs.

To use those without cutting down the threaded part of the stock studs, you will need a 1.25" spacer.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,992 Posts
Im running 2" spacers front and rear. Mainly because i have 4" wide cutout flares and wanted the same look you are going after. Before, it looked like a body builder who skipped leg day for a few years!

I wheel with them too. No issues. Just remember to retorque the spacer nuts after a bit, just like you would the normal lug nut. Spydertrax are the supposed best. I dont remember the brand i got from summit for the rear, and the fronts are for a dodge dakota (9/16" studs) I found on an f150 in the junkyard.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,992 Posts
Before

After

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well after much consternation...I just ordered a set of 1.5" ones. Hub centric, of course. We'll see if I even use the fronts or not when I have them here to play with.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,992 Posts
Well after much consternation...I just ordered a set of 1.5" ones. Hub centric, of course. We'll see if I even use the fronts or not when I have them here to play with.
Broncos use a lug centric bolt pattern. But you should be okay with what you bought.

Reactions: tygr1

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Figures. I'll get by, I guess.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Yeah as long as the lugs arent designed for a purely hub centric mount (flat seat) they'll work fine as lug centric. I'm running some spacers on a cavalier that are hub centric from the factory but being acorn style lugs they work fine as lug centric.

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
588 Posts
The front and rear track width are different on our trucks. Without looking it up, if I remember correctly, it is about a 1.5 inch difference, front wider than rear. I am running a 2 inch on the rear and a 1.5 inch on the front. Makes the tires fill out the stock wheel wells much better IMO. If installed properly and maintained, shouldn't be an issue. As far as the argument that they put undue stress on the bearings, etc, it is no different that changing the offset. Mine went to Moab a little over a year ago, and have run around Az some, without any problems.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heh-heh...ordered some wheels with -27mm offset as well. I'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
The front and rear track width are different on our trucks. Without looking it up, if I remember correctly, it is about a 1.5 inch difference, front wider than rear. I am running a 2 inch on the rear and a 1.5 inch on the front. Makes the tires fill out the stock wheel wells much better IMO. If installed properly and maintained, shouldn't be an issue. As far as the argument that they put undue stress on the bearings, etc, it is no different that changing the offset. Mine went to Moab a little over a year ago, and have run around Az some, without any problems.
i dont believe the more stress, however i do believe in the further out your tires are from the hub the easier it is for alignment to affect tire wear

·
Addicted to Junk
12,992 Posts
i dont believe the more stress, however i do believe in the further out your tires are from the hub the easier it is for alignment to affect tire wear
Both of you are sort of correct. Yes it puts more stress on things but not more than a heavily offset wheel. Same is true for alignment issues and scrub radius.

Scrub radius is how far out the contact patch is of the tire and its rolling center from the ball joint. The larger the scrub radius, the worse your steering and therefore, tire wear, will be. In a perfect world, the ball joint would be on the centerline of the wheel.

The biggest downfall of spacers is having twice as many fasteners that can come loose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts