Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to change my front driver side tire tonight and noticed that the wheel was hard to spin as I was putting the lug nuts back on. The rotor looked great and there wasn't any noise when I spun it, but it would not spin more than 1/3 of a turn by itself.

I read the recent wheel bearing tightness thread but it only mentioned wheel spin with the calipers off. Should it spin more freely with the caliper on?

·
yes
1,769 Posts
I had to change my front driver side tire tonight and noticed that the wheel was hard to spin as I was putting the lug nuts back on. The rotor looked great and there wasn't any noise when I spun it, but it would not spin more than 1/3 of a turn by itself.

I read the recent wheel bearing tightness thread but it only mentioned wheel spin with the calipers off. Should it spin more freely with the caliper on?
No, It should spin less freely. The pads tend to rub against the rotor while spinning so it makes it harder to turn. If you take the calipers off and it will still only spin 1/3 there probably too tight...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not hear the pads rubbing, so that is good. I'll probably repack the bearings this weekend or next to make sure everything is allright.

thanks for the responses.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
What Steve83 said AND make sure(if it's not clear) you wire brush the "caliper bracket/mounting tracks" clean and lube with grease, I like extreme molly pressure grease, but it's your call.

By ensuring the tracks are clean, the calipers will "float" and center themselves when you drive/brake like a balanced tire does preventing less drag by the pads along with properly packed wheel bearings as well. :chili:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moly grease is toxic, and Ford recommends silicone anyway.
I repacked my wheel bearings with moly grease so I probably have tumors now.

The brakes I bought at AZ came with a little packet of grease for the calipers/slide pins/anti rattle clips.

Thanks for the tips on this one. My haynes manual was pretty useless today doing front brakes, wheel bearings, and manual hub conversion.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts