Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching and not finding an answer, I figure I'd post the question:

Does anyone know how and why the wheel well lips on my Bronco rusted so badly in such a short period of time? Is the water coming from within the wheel wells?

I bought the Bronco 4 years ago and I've noticed the last 2 years that the rear lips are rusting badly.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You live in Idaho, Salt on the roads? It may sit on the inner roll of the fender and when you wash you can't get to it?
It's lived most of its life in Sandy, UT (Where I bought it).

ever take it mudding?
Naw, never done any wheeling in it because it has 190,000+ miles on it and is also a DD.

There's another thread where the member removed the rear quarter panels exposing so much rust on the inside of the wheel wells.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
Ford did this miraculous thing where they put a lip on the rear wheel wells. When you're driving, all that craptastic junk gets hung up on that lip and interacts poorly with the steel, causing the rust. The only way to avoid it is to make sure you wash that lip completely clean when you wash the truck, or do what i did and just let it rot until the lip falls off.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it part of the quarter panel or the wheel well lining?

·
Registered
586 Posts
isn't Utah Salt Country? Salt Flats, Salt Lake and what not.....that could have a lot to play along with the fact that Ford had that lip in the wheel well

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I bought it (From a wholesale dealer) there were no signs of rusting in that area.

The first couple of years was fine. It's the last two years that the rust have shown up; fast!

·
Registered
586 Posts
If you are going to stop it you need to attack it now......

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are going to stop it you need to attack it now......

Yeah, that's why I'm asking the questions.

I don't think grinding down the cancer and then Rust Bullet it will help in the long run (Or will it???).

·
Registered
586 Posts
you can grind it out but you need to make you you get it all...its not going to be fun.....

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it's part of the quarters and the fender. It's more than likely rusting through from behind rather than rusting from the outside in.

If it's mild get it taken care of now, it doesn't take log for it to go bad fast

Yep, that's what I figured :cry .

I have to get inside the wheel well liner and investigate :banghead .

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Silly Question:

After grinding out the rust (Both inside and out) and Rust Bullet-ing it, would some form of weatherproof spray-foam insulation help prevent water from pooling there?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
you can't easily get to this area. it's almost impossible to clean. there is a spot welded piece between the outer fender and the body tub. it's the area above that where the problem is.

if you can see the rust on the outside (bubbles) your choices are:
1. get patch panels - cut, weld, grind, fill, sand, fill, sand, paint, sand, paint, paint

2 get fender flairs and ignore it

3 cut the fenders nicely and hope you get all of it. if you get lucky, do a good job and completely remove the mid piece it won't look that bad.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you can't easily get to this area. it's almost impossible to clean. there is a spot welded piece between the outer fender and the body tub. it's the area above that where the problem is.

if you can see the rust on the outside (bubbles) your choices are:
1. get patch panels - cut, weld, grind, fill, sand, fill, sand, paint, sand, paint, paint

2 get fender flairs and ignore it

3 cut the fenders nicely and hope you get all of it. if you get lucky, do a good job and completely remove the mid piece it won't look that bad.

I'm thinking of going with #2, although I think I'll clean up the rust on the outside and Rust bullet it and then put fender flairs on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts