Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 bronco. Dana 60 SAS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a set of 38.5 x 15 mud tires on my truck
i have them mounted on my factory rims i think they are 7 or 8 inches wide. it looks good from the side, but when you stand in front of it ot in back of it . it looks like the wheels dont stick out far enough. if i get a wider rim would it help me out with getting them to stick out father.
i dont know too much about back spacing and stuff like that so any comments or suggestions would help me out a lot.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
a rim thats wider with the same backspacing will stick them out more. Stock wheels I believe have a 3.5" backspace, so a 10" wide wheel with a 4" backspace will move the tire out an inch or two.

·
Registered
89 bronco. Dana 60 SAS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MikE2 said:
a rim thats wider with the same backspacing will stick them out more. Stock wheels I believe have a 3.5" backspace, so a 10" wide wheel with a 4" backspace will move the tire out an inch or two.
just a question. what about those trucks i see that the wheels stick out like half a tire. i just wanted to make them stick out more because i have bush wacker cut out fender flares and it just looks goofy to me i wanted to get the tires to look wider basically (stick out more) to make the truck more proportion.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
A 15x12 with 4.5 inches of backspacing would kick them out a lot

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
litle pimp said:
just a question. what about those trucks i see that the wheels stick out like half a tire. i just wanted to make them stick out more because i have bush wacker cut out fender flares and it just looks goofy to me i wanted to get the tires to look wider basically (stick out more) to make the truck more proportion.
Are you equally concerned with breaking axles?:popc1:

·
Registered
89 bronco. Dana 60 SAS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive never broken any axles. i drive my truck to work and backl every day. on the weekends i beat the crap out of the truck offroad. i thought when you do higher(lift) you go wider.
i just got done a 6 in lift and 3 in body. just want it to look a certain way

·
Registered
89 bronco. Dana 60 SAS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does anyone know where i can get a set of rims with that kind on back spacing and that wide. any info would help. ive tried ebay.no luck
thanks a lot

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
litle pimp said:
ive never broken any axles. i drive my truck to work and backl every day. on the weekends i beat the crap out of the truck offroad. i thought when you do higher(lift) you go wider.
i just got done a 6 in lift and 3 in body. just want it to look a certain way

38.5 gumbo mudders, a TTB front and 8.8? and you beat the crap out of it, and have broke nothing?

·
Registered
89 bronco. Dana 60 SAS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shadofax said:
38.5 gumbo mudders, a TTB front and 8.8? and you beat the crap out of it, and have broke nothing?
i dont go climbing mountains or huge rocks and stuff. i have trails near my house. mostly lots of mud i play around in. driving near Rail Road tracks they got lots of trails to drive in, its fun cause its the only thing around me.

·
Registered
89 bronco. Dana 60 SAS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The transmission is the only thing that has gone major wrong. it was replaced with a junkyard one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What wheels did you find with the 4 ish back spacing? I am thinking of a similar thing, with the cutout flares and all and would like that similar look... although I will have a 60 front and 10.25 rear, just to be on the tougher side for the 44's I want (as I am sure Shadowfax can attest to after brow beating me in previous threads) =]

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
10X15's with 3 3/4 backspace would do nicely. Inexpensive from US Wheel.

·
Registered
89 bronco. Dana 60 SAS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BigBadBronco said:
What wheels did you find with the 4 ish back spacing? I am thinking of a similar thing, with the cutout flares and all and would like that similar look... although I will have a 60 front and 10.25 rear, just to be on the tougher side for the 44's I want (as I am sure Shadowfax can attest to after brow beating me in previous threads) =]
i found some i liek on this site
http://www.petepaulsen.com/Catalogofwheels/Truck Mod.htm
check it out.
there the cheapest i found.im not a big fan of chrome so im gonna go for the white ones.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I thought the less backspacing - the more they stick out, while the more backspacing - the less they stick out. For instance, a wheel of the same size and diameter with same tires on it with 3.5" backspacing should stick out more than the same wheel/tire combo with 4" backspacing.

·
Registered
89 bronco. Dana 60 SAS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
equin said:
I thought the less backspacing - the more they stick out, while the more backspacing - the less they stick out. For instance, a wheel of the same size and diameter with same tires on it with 3.5" backspacing should stick out more than the same wheel/tire combo with 4" backspacing.
i dont know how any of the back spacing stuff works. If someone could explain it. It would be helpful before i order rims.

thanks

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
litle pimp said:
i dont know how any of the back spacing stuff works. If someone could explain it. It would be helpful before i order rims.

thanks
It's simlply the measurement from the BACK of the wheel where the lugs bolt to the axle INWARD to the wheel lip.

Example: an 8" wheel with 3.75" of BS means that you can measure apx. 3.75" from where the wheels lugs are bolted to the axle to the wheels inner lip. Obviously this means you have roughly 4.25" of distance out to the outer wheel lip (which is the one you can see). so backspacing refers to that inner wheel measurement. Offset should not be confused with it.

So little backspacing means you see a lot of rim on the outside (side that is viewed), and tends to offset the whole wheel/tire combo outward. Offset is how much you are deviating from the wheel centerline IIRC (+ or -)

·
Registered
89 bronco. Dana 60 SAS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shadofax said:
It's simlply the measurement from the BACK of the wheel where the lugs bolt to the axle INWARD to the wheel lip.

Example: an 8" wheel with 3.75" of BS means that you can measure apx. 3.75" from where the wheels lugs are bolted to the axle to the wheels inner lip. Obviously this means you have roughly 4.25" of distance out to the outer wheel lip (which is the one you can see). so backspacing refers to that inner wheel measurement. Offset should not be confused with it.

So little backspacing means you see a lot of rim on the outside (side that is viewed), and tends to offset the whole wheel/tire combo outward. Offset is how much you are deviating from the wheel centerline IIRC (+ or -)
thanks helped a lot. plus i looked up some diagrams online with pics.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts