Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
the Broheim
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is fueled by frustration! For the last week I have been working adamantly at trying to enlist in the Army National Guard. It started out great, recruiter wanted to speak with me right away, took the ASVAB and talked to the recruiter on the same day, filed my background check etc. All of a sudden everything came to a stand still, evidently a misdemeanor can still carry felony penalties, even if it was a juvenile crime! :doh0715:

So for two days straight I was at the local court trying to get detailed reports and a letter for the recruiter. Finally the recruiter came down and A very nice (and Hawt) Juvenile public defender was able to find all the information we needed and right a letter clearing me to be able to carry a firearm legally. :twotu:

Just as I thought things were going to start moving again I found out that now I need a waiver just to enlist. Evidently the military see's my background and says Criminal and no thank you. I understand why they wouldn't want convicted felons and such but I was a little taken back when they said I was in the same boat :whiteflag

Now I have to go and find 3 people that have known me for 10 years or more and have them write letters of recommendation saying that I am a good person with a straight moral compass. Its not all that big of a deal but still a complication I was not expecting. What has really gotten me is the fact that these letters and all my scores will be sent to the units for which MOS I am applying for and they have to accept me, and want me.

Has It always been this way, have commanders always had the right to pick and choose who is in there unit :shrug

BTW applying for:

31 B Military Police

35 L Counter Intel.

19 D Calvary Scout

open to suggestions :thumbup

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
This post is fueled by frustration! For the last week I have been working adamantly at trying to enlist in the Army National Guard. It started out great, recruiter wanted to speak with me right away, took the ASVAB and talked to the recruiter on the same day, filed my background check etc. All of a sudden everything came to a stand still, evidently a misdemeanor can still carry felony penalties, even if it was a juvenile crime! :doh0715:

So for two days straight I was at the local court trying to get detailed reports and a letter for the recruiter. Finally the recruiter came down and A very nice (and Hawt) Juvenile public defender was able to find all the information we needed and right a letter clearing me to be able to carry a firearm legally. :twotu:

Just as I thought things were going to start moving again I found out that now I need a waiver just to enlist. Evidently the military see's my background and says Criminal and no thank you. I understand why they wouldn't want convicted felons and such but I was a little taken back when they said I was in the same boat :whiteflag

Now I have to go and find 3 people that have known me for 10 years or more and have them write letters of recommendation saying that I am a good person with a straight moral compass. Its not all that big of a deal but still a complication I was not expecting. What has really gotten me is the fact that these letters and all my scores will be sent to the units for which MOS I am applying for and they have to accept me, and want me.

Has It always been this way, have commanders always had the right to pick and choose who is in there unit :shrug

BTW applying for:

31 B Military Police

35 L Counter Intel.

19 D Calvary Scout

open to suggestions :thumbup

The Navy?......

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
The Navy?......
Last I heard the Navy had a year long waiting list for most rates. It be a great time to be a recruiter right now. Hell, they're looking for every and any reason to get current sailors out of the Navy now. We're overmanned everywhere.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
As far as I know, they've always needed waivers for things like criminal records. Especially, if you're wanting ratings that would require security clearances beyond certain levels. Police, Intelligence, areas, like that, they tend to be a little more particular.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Dude, this is just the beginning of years of BS, red-tape, frustration, and hoops to jump through. Get used to it.

·
the Broheim
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Navy?......
Tried and was straight up rejected, Same with the Coast Guard, The army is at least moving me this far. If this dont pan out I might try the Marines.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I went through some of that BS. My recruiter did everything for me though. He was just happy I went in and said "When can I ship out?". Especially when I said I'm going Infantry. Oh and good luck with the Marines. They're pickier than the Army now.

·
the Broheim
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went through some of that BS. My recruiter did everything for me though. He was just happy I went in and said "When can I ship out?". Especially when I said I'm going Infantry. Oh and good luck with the Marines. They're pickier than the Army now.
Great :doh0715:

And sorry about your fallen brothers in arms :cry

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was in years ago, but I think that Guard and Reserve commanders get some say over who is assigned to their units.

I went to Basic in the early 90's and we had more than one guy in my platoon with jail time (it might have been juvenile, I don't know. I steered clear of them).

Good luck to you.

PD

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
"Kid, I want you to go and sit down on that bench that says Group W .... NOW kid!!"

And I, I walked over to the, to the bench there, and there is, Group W's
where they put you if you may not be moral enough to join the army after
committing your special crime"

·
the Broheim
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Kid, I want you to go and sit down on that bench that says Group W .... NOW kid!!"

:wtf :shrug

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts

"Mother rapers. Father stabbers. Father rapers! Father rapers, right here on the Group W bench! And the biggest, meanest father raper of them all, came over and sat down next to me and asked, "Whad'ja get?" And I said "Nuthin', I just had to pay fifty dollars and pick up the garbage." And he asked, "What was you arrested for?" And I said "litterin'." And they all moved away from me, until I said "And creatin' a disturbance."

I will never, ever, tire of this song, for the rest of my days.

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
dude dont get me started on the army.
so when i was 17 i was all set to enlist. took the asvab and made a 92. i had my uncle draw up a contract for me saying that i was only going to enlist if i was confirmed a place in air assault school. well i broke my collar bone, separated my ac joint, and got a hair line fracture of the scapula. a year later i went to MEPS and they couldnt clear me for jump school since i was still having trouble with my shoulder. well 2 weeks later i get a call from my recruiter saying if i didnt report for duty in 48 hours i was AWOL. i hung up and called my lawyer uncle to reread everything i had signed. i signed nothing binding and she was just trying to **** me over.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts
"Alice's Restaurant Massacre," by Arlo Guthrie, was basically a song about his attempt at not getting drafted during the Viet Nam War, and how he used an incident of "littering" to attempt to be kept out of the Army. He later made a movie based on the song.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Long song, a lot of reading, but here's the pertinent part. Bear in mind the "massacre" is a littering incident. And don't worry, it was written long before I and a good portion of FSB were born.

Link to the whole thing if you're ambitious:
http://www.arlo.net/resources/lyrics/alices.shtml

And Quote (first and last paragraphs are the main parts, but the rest just builds :D ):
"Kid, see the phsychiatrist, room 604."

And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I
wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill,
KILL, KILL." And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and
he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

Didn't feel too good about it.

Proceeded on down the hall gettin more injections, inspections,
detections, neglections and all kinds of stuff that they was doin' to me
at the thing there, and I was there for two hours, three hours, four
hours, I was there for a long time going through all kinds of mean nasty
ugly things and I was just having a tough time there, and they was
inspecting, injecting every single part of me, and they was leaving no
part untouched. Proceeded through, and when I finally came to the see the
last man, I walked in, walked in sat down after a whole big thing there,
and I walked up and said, "What do you want?" He said, "Kid, we only got
one question. Have you ever been arrested?"

And I proceeded to tell him the story of the Alice's Restaurant Massacre,
with full orchestration and five part harmony and stuff like that and all
the phenome... - and he stopped me right there and said, "Kid, did you ever
go to court?"

And I proceeded to tell him the story of the twenty seven eight-by-ten
colour glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and the paragraph on
the back of each one, and he stopped me right there and said, "Kid, I want
you to go and sit down on that bench that says Group W .... NOW kid!!"

committing your special crime, and there was all kinds of mean nasty ugly
looking people on the bench there. Mother rapers. Father stabbers. Father
rapers! Father rapers sitting right there on the bench next to me! And
they was mean and nasty and ugly and horrible crime-type guys sitting on the
bench next to me. And the meanest, ugliest, nastiest one, the meanest
father raper of them all, was coming over to me and he was mean 'n' ugly
'n' nasty 'n' horrible and all kind of things and he sat down next to me
and said, "Kid, whad'ya get?" I said, "I didn't get nothing, I had to pay
$50 and pick up the garbage." He said, "What were you arrested for, kid?"
And I said, "Littering." And they all moved away from me on the bench
there, and the hairy eyeball and all kinds of mean nasty things, till I
said, "And creating a nuisance." And they all came back, shook my hand,
and we had a great time on the bench, talkin about crime, mother stabbing,
father raping, all kinds of groovy things that we was talking about on the
bench. And everything was fine, we was smoking cigarettes and all kinds of
things, until the Sargeant came over, had some paper in his hand, held it
up and said.

"Kids, this-piece-of-paper's-got-47-words-37-sentences-58-words-we-wanna-
know-details-of-the-crime-time-of-the-crime-and-any-other-kind-of-thing-
you-gotta-say-pertaining-to-and-about-the-crime-I-want-to-know-arresting-
officer's-name-and-any-other-kind-of-thing-you-gotta-say", and talked for
forty-five minutes and nobody understood a word that he said, but we had
fun filling out the forms and playing with the pencils on the bench there,
and I filled out the massacre with the four part harmony, and wrote it
down there, just like it was, and everything was fine and I put down the
pencil, and I turned over the piece of paper, and there, there on the
other side, in the middle of the other side, away from everything else on
the other side, in parentheses, capital letters, quotated, read the
following words:

("KID, HAVE YOU REHABILITATED YOURSELF?")

I went over to the sargent, said, "Sargeant, you got a lot a damn gall to
ask me if I've rehabilitated myself, I mean, I mean, I mean that just, I'm
sittin' here on the bench, I mean I'm sittin here on the Group W bench
'cause you want to know if I'm moral enough join the army, burn women,
kids, houses and villages after bein' a litterbug."

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
It's a thanksgiving tradition still on some of the classic rock stations around my area.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I finally got into the Navy after having a similar problem. My friend also needed a waiver because of some medical problem that was really nothing when he was like 2. I did very well on the ASVAB and it was the only reason I got in. My ship date is in December and it was the earliest one they had avaliable. Joining the military is no longer a straight forward thing. The hardest thing about the military nowadays is getting in.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I read in the paper that since 9/11 military pay has increased 42%,compared with 32% in the private sector.Re-enlistments are way up,especially among young members with families.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts