Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To work outside on the BronK...or any vehicle for that matter. It's been colder than a witches teet here lately and my garage feels like a meat locker. I have a little space heater that's good for 30-40 out, but it just laughs at me in this cold. Do you guys just bundle up like you're gonna climb Mt Everest...or do you use some other form of heat.

I was thinking about those heaters Summit sells that connect to a propane tank like this

Just wondering what the rest of you do in the cold.

·
Registered
769 Posts
its -45 degrees here. local cholls were cancled

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
10,769 Posts
Those are ok if ya just want to heat your hands up or for a small area . This is the one I use here ( Chicago ) when I MUST work in my garage . It's pretty quiet and decent on the propane . Home Depot sells them . Keeps my uninsulated garage nice and warm .

Heater

·
Banned
470 Posts
Our garage has an electric heater hanging from the ceiling that kicks on every now and then. Many times my garage is warmer than my house.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Was working on pulling an engine yesterday morning, 20 degrees and falling, nasty 25 mph winds. I was fine for the four hours I was out there- had warm boots on, good thick work jacket, wool hat, and leather gloves. Had to quit so I could go to bed, I work nights, otherwise I would've been out there all day no prob.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dirtdigger said:
Those are ok if ya just want to heat your hands up or for a small area . This is the one I use here ( Chicago ) when I MUST work in my garage . It's pretty quiet and decent on the propane . Home Depot sells them . Keeps my uninsulated garage nice and warm .

Heater

Needs a 100lb propane tank :shocked How much do those run...I would think the heater i mentioned would be pretty decent if you could set it up right above/behind were you are working. Although heating the whole garage would be nice..it's got 15ft ceilings and 2 1/2 cars wide...I would think that it would get expensive. I'm thinking something more directional based would serve my purpose better...but I like the thought.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dustball said:
Was working on pulling an engine yesterday morning, 20 degrees and falling, nasty 25 mph winds. I was fine for the four hours I was out there- had warm boots on, good thick work jacket, wool hat, and leather gloves. Had to quit so I could go to bed, I work nights, otherwise I would've been out there all day no prob.
Just old fashioned hard core :rockon I like it. Although I find when doing the little things (this damn brake line) I just don't generate enough body heat...then again maybe I should put something on more than just jeans and a sweatshirt or 2 :wacko

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
10,769 Posts
93BroncoXLT said:
Needs a 100lb propane tank :shocked How much do those run...I would think the heater i mentioned would be pretty decent if you could set it up right above/behind were you are working. Although heating the whole garage would be nice..it's got 15ft ceilings and 2 1/2 cars wide...I would think that it would get expensive. I'm thinking something more directional based would serve my purpose better...but I like the thought.
Na.............the one I have usea a 20lb tank . Blow ya right out of the garage . Go to home depot , check it out , the biggest one they carry ( the one I have ) only uses 20lb tank . The one on that web site is an industral one .........sorry for the confusion . Must have clicked on the wrong one . :brownbag Changes made .:thumbup

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Dustball said:
Were you doing this OUTSIDE? If so, that cold weather has gone to your head. I've found 20 is my lower limit for being ok in the shop, on the nights when I've started to get chilly around quitting time I've come in the house to see it's 17 outside. I don't bundle up quite as much as you tho.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Dirtdigger said:
Na.............the one I have usea a 20lb tank . Blow ya right out of the garage . Go to home depot , check it out , the biggest one they carry ( the one I have ) only uses 20lb tank . The one on that web site is an industral one .........sorry for the confusion . Must have clicked on the wrong one . :brownbag Changes made .:thumbup
See, how long will that last you on a 20lb tank? Seems this could get expensive and inconvenient in a hurry. And propane is expensive, I dont' really want to get a second 100gal tank for the shop

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
10,769 Posts
Keith_L said:
See, how long will that last you on a 20lb tank? Seems this could get expensive and inconvenient in a hurry. And propane is expensive, I dont' really want to get a second 100gal tank for the shop
It depends on what temperature you want to work in . I would not use it for a steady source of heat , but in an emergency it's great . When I bought it propane was $9.00 a 20lb bottle . Now it is $20.00 . It last for a while if you heat up the garage and the turn it down to a lower setting . I like it , but to each his own .

·
Registered
389 Posts
Dirtdigger said:
It last for a while if you heat up the garage and the turn it down to a lower setting . I like it , but to each his own .
If you can, describe "a while". 2 hours?, 4 hours? a day long wrench fest?

From ones I've seen, I like that model you recommended and I'm just curious.

I'm gettin' too old...spoiled...pussified...:shrug gettin' tired of Dustball's method.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
10,769 Posts
79broncn said:
If you can, describe "a while". 2 hours?, 4 hours? a day long wrench fest?

From ones I've seen, I like that model you recommended and I'm just curious.

I'm gettin' too old...spoiled...pussified...:shrug gettin' tired of Dustball's method.
They'll last a couple of days . They have a pilot light . I turn mine on high to get things heated up then turn it down to the pilot light or low . If your asking how long it will go full out ...I don't know . Just never had to do it like that . :shrug

·
Registered
769 Posts
another way to stay warm in a garage is to 1.make sure the doors are shut and there is no ventelation.2.start bronco and let idle 1/2 hour.3.pass out from fumes and forget about coldness:toothless

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
when your dog's nuts stick to the porch cause it is frozen, then it is too cold to work on the bronco!!!!

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Keith_L said:
Were you doing this OUTSIDE? If so, that cold weather has gone to your head. I've found 20 is my lower limit for being ok in the shop, on the nights when I've started to get chilly around quitting time I've come in the house to see it's 17 outside. I don't bundle up quite as much as you tho.
No, I was doing in my kitchen like you :goodfinge Yes, outside! My garage is too full to fit a vehicle in it so I do all my work on my driveway.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
dogonmut said:
When it's really cold in my shop I just switch from shorts to Levi's and maybe put on a long sleeve shirt. :chili:

Then again when July rolls around I start crying. There's nothing like being outside in the sun workin' on your rig in 110 degree weather. :cry
yup thats about right for az

1 - 20 of 20 Posts