Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and the wife have been thinking of getting a second dog.

right now we have a german short hair, lab, pit bull mix runt, 6 months old, and only 20 lbs. at msot she is estimated to reach 30lbs, maybe a bit more. she is super affectionate, and has been very good with other dogs, she also is submisive when around larger ones usually, rolls onto her back, waiting to be licked, its kind of gross actually.

we have 2 cats as well, and they are doing well with dog, one gets along great, while the other, the calico, doesnt want anything to do with the dog, or us, most of the time.

soo, my question is, at what age is a good time to introduce anouther puppy, if we get a second, it will be a small breed, and we havent decided on one yet. not a ankle bitter, but a 20-30lb area.

i have heard some horror stories about dogs being really teritorial, but some that have done great. but it seems that it is the older dogs that dont like new ones.

what are other experiences

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
In my experience it's the older dogs that get all territorial. Also the larger one usually tends to dominate... so I would introduce one while they are playful. I have also read that changing the location of where they eat and how the eat makes it new to the current dog. If it's open feed, change the location.

99% of dogs though get use to it after a few days.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I just went through this when my wife when got married.. she had 2 dogs and I had a Lab.. hers... are bpth 10+ years old.. one 40 lb lab/chow mutt and a 75lb Blue tick/ Doberman... he's too cool... mine is a 100 lb..Black Lab dominate male.... we were skeptical about them fighting... Dogs have to find out the order of command and it took them a 2 week pattern of fighting off and on to figure out who's who... my dog is a big bully especially when it comes to food...they fought every time I fed them for 2 weeks almost... now I have to prepare their food and feed them twice a day ... spreading their food bowls at different locations.... the small dog eats slow and sometimes my lab bullies her and eats her food.. I have to stay out and watch them to finish up so she gets to eat...... it's cold in the morning now!... urgh

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
IMO there's not a textbook "ideal time" but the earlier the better. As already stated, it's harder with older dogs.

Remember, dogs work on the same hierarchy as a wolf pack, you are always the alpha male (or should be). If they fight too much, put a stop to it, let the agressor know this is not acceptable. A few skirmishes are likely, but they shouldn't be injuring one another.

Frequent socialization of your dogs will help, too..... ie if you take them out to public places a lot, esp where they are exposed to other dogs, they are far more likely to accept new dogs in the household. It's no different than kids who are always home-schooled oftentimes have a hard time making friends in social settings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts