Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do a lot of work in computers...mostly in the data protection and disaster recovery fields. The first question anyone asks after a computer crash is 'Where in the hell are the backups and when was the last one done?"

So, I'm asking y'all if you've made a backup of your computer recently. No? May want to get on that sometime. You only have to back up the data you can't replace. Theres some mighty fine pics on this board, but I bet you got tons of other pics and stuff that are not saved at Supermotors :D

Keep it simple. Keep all your crap in as few folders as possible...use the My Documents folder as a starting point. Skip the Windows folder and all the applications...they can be replaced if you have your recovery CD and applications disks. Worry about the stuff you can't replace. Back those folders up to a CD (or DVD if you gots that much crap) every now and again. One other solution is to grab a cheap external drive off craigslist or ebay and copy everything over to it.

Keep it simple. Keep all your stuff in as few folders as possible and BACK THEM UP on a regular basis.

'Nuff said. So...when was the last time you made a backup?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
A very good point/reminder. I don't agree with your "keep everything in as few folders as possible" I DO agree with "keep everything in as few root folders as possible, with as many folders as you want inside that directory" That way you can still just copy the single tree, yet be organized as well. I despise nothing more than seeing a single folder with tons of unorganized crap in it. Drives me crazy!

Edit: and for me: Full system backup a couple weeks ago, appended files daily (one on the hdd, one on my flash drive) :thumbup

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ubermich said:
A very good point/reminder. I don't agree with your "keep everything in as few folders as possible" I DO agree with "keep everything in as few root folders as possible, with as many folders as you want inside that directory" That way you can still just copy the single tree, yet be organized as well. I despise nothing more than seeing a single folder with tons of unorganized crap in it. Drives me crazy!
Good point. I tell noobs that they can have as many folders as they want, but to try to keep them all under the 'My Directory' folder until they know what the hell they're doing. Lots of windows apps use that as their default now. Too many locations for a noob will get them confused in short order.

Thanks for mentioning your flash drive. Fast becoming a popular home backup tool.

·
0 Posts
2 weeks ago, 3 laptops = 3 DVDs of pictures and crap.

I have learned my lesson in the past. :duh

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have several removable HDDs that I back up on at home. Usually once a week. At work I use a tape back up to back up the network. Differential every day and a full back up on Friday. It runs till sometime Sunday afternnon. On my workstaion at work I back up to a Iomega 40 USB then take it home and back it up on my home computer with my mutiple removable HDDs. Kinda over kill but I hate to lose Data. One of these days I'll get off my lazy ass and put in my tape jukebox at home and back up like a normal geek.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,986 Posts
Three hard drives in my main machine and do a weekly copy of everything back and fourth so I don't get screwed.

Adrianspeeder

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,563 Posts
i dont do them at home, there is nothing on here i couldnt live without but i should do at least one a month anyway, as for FSB its backed up daily, once daily to the main harddrive, once daily to a secondary harddrive, once daily to an off site seperate server and once a week to my harddrive at home :thumbup

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Emabrassing to say, but I don't know how to "back up" my Hard Drive. Any simple way to explain a way to do this? I can't be the only one on here!

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Blue

I burn my pics, music, etc onto DVDs and CDs with the burner.

Thanks to Hoot2dr I may be doing it very shortly. I haven't done it since November. Man how time flys !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Blue87 just burn every thing you can't live without to CD or DVD. Basicly your just making a copy you can put back on the hard drive in case yours crashes.

All I back up is Pics, MP3s, and some cowboy stories I'm writing. It's all in a folder called Junk. I have maybe 10 gigs I'd hate to lose.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Cool, well I guess I already do it then. I burn all new pics I take onto a new CD every time I load them from my camera to my PC. When I get enough CDs with enough info together, I compile all of them onto a single CD. They're basically all I care to save in case of another virus.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Just run raid 1, mirroring mode.:thumbup

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
i use norton ghost and do full system back ups, takes about 13-15 cds, but i dont have a dvd burner, all the comps @ my house have norton ghost, and it is set to automatic back up at 8:00pm every friday to the main data server. then once every other week on to new cds.

So i back up pretty regularly for a home user. it makes it easier in restoring windows, about 1-1/12hr to use norton recovery with the images, and 3+hrs to restore windows with all the apps, and proper drivers, and to reconfigure everything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts