Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of noise will a Bronco make when the ball joints go. Is it a popping sound, grinding sound? Does it happen when you brake, go over bumps or accelerate? Should it happen all of the time, or intermittently. Will one side fail and not the other? I know its a lot of questions, but I am trying to figure out what the hell this noise is that my rig is making. Thanks.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I only know how to test if they go bad...hands at 12 and 6 if you can move it back and forth then they are worn....don't know of any sounds they make.

Also the Bronk should be jacked up for this :D

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Of all the ball joints that have ever gone bad, on all my trucks, not one ever made any noise, BUT the steering was definitely affected. Once I felt like I was driving in ruts on bias ply tires, I knew my ball joints were bad. How can you tell for sure? Put the front axle on stands, and get yourself a 2-3ft prybar under the tire, and pry upwards, and watch the joints. Also a good time to check your TREs while you're under there too

·
Super Moderator
14,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah Dave, you're right about checking the TRE's, mine are shot and could probably use replacing, but they're not bent, and my steering is really not too sloppy. I came to the conclusion last night that noise I'm hearing is most likely not a result of bad ball joints. Gearhead and I were talking he suggested the noise might be from the fact that there are only two bolts holding the front slider mount on the frame, when the frame flexes it makes the noise. What do you think. Does the frame really flex that much?

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
did the noise start right after you installed the sliders? I know on my frame I can see it move when I grab ahold of the slider and move it up and down.

also another thing to check is the rivets holdign the engine crossmember in place. they like to get loose and make a popping noise. there is a tsb out there that has you intall bolts instead

·
Super Moderator
14,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dustin, yeah the noise started right after I installed the sliders. Not sure about the engine cross member making noise, since I never heard this until Sunday. I'm really thinking it's got to be the sliders flexing on the frame because I don't have the other two bolts in. As you can see in this pic. I think that might be causing sufficient rubbing to make the noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts