Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drained and refilled my rearend a few weeks ago and have driven about 50 miles. I checked the fluid today and was 3 pints short. I read somewhere on here that you should check it around this point after a refill, and I'm glad I did. There is no oil spot on my driveway and the pumpkin looks fairly clean - I can't spot a leak. I used the paper gasket that AZ sold me with no sealant.

Any thoughts?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Assuming you checked in exactly the same level position, and that the temperature hasn't changed between times (either ambient or axle temperature), it could've simply migrated out into the axle tubes. Remember it's pretty thick stuff, and the axle is about six feet long. If you fill it to the edge of the fill hole NOW while the axle is cool and level, check it again in a few days. You may want to recheck your cover bolt torque.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
how are the axle seals? i've seen a couple axles extremely low because the seals were shot and the vent tube clogged, but i don't think they'd lose that much in just a few weeks

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Assuming you checked in exactly the same level position, and that the temperature hasn't changed between times (either ambient or axle temperature), it could've simply migrated out into the axle tubes. Remember it's pretty thick stuff, and the axle is about six feet long. If you fill it to the edge of the fill hole NOW while the axle is cool and level, check it again in a few days. You may want to recheck your cover bolt torque.
I think we have a winner!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Sig you were right. I checked it again today and it was at the right level. It had some bubbles/froth in it though. I had just driven it around the block to test my timing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts