Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still learning and searching my new to me Bronco and while checking the power steering fluid I found this plug just hanging by the power steering pump, where does it go?

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Washer motor plug is just a black rubber thing and should come off near the headlights, at least mine does.

Check the sensors under the intake, and look on the drivers wheel well for its mate. There's a ton if stuff that comes off from that area and it could have fallen out.

It could also be from an ac unit that may have been removed.

What color are the wires?

·
imdabes
937 Posts
I can't quite see the ac compressor in that picture, but make sure there's a plug in the back and in front, it could be one of those. Peoplesometimes just unplug the compressor so it won't turn on if its broken since ac is expensive to repair.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Power steering pressure switch. The switch should be on the power steering pressure hose.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts
Power steering pressure switch. The switch should be on the power steering pressure hose.
What years had this? I've yet to see one. Mine doesn't have it, nor did my previous Broncos.

My guess is the air compressor. Looks just like it.

·
Man of endless projects
9,288 Posts
+1

they were on the 302s, i think until they went with MAF. if the pressure hose was replaced, it might not have the right one without the port on it on it so they just ditched it

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts
+1

they were on the 302s until they went with MAF
Well that explains it. Thanks.

I'll make sure to look at one next time I'm in the junkyard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just did a search on the power steering pressure switch and an older post from another forum popped up and said that only the 5.0 w/ manual tranny had a p/s pressure switch. Can anyone confirm this??

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
What years had this? I've yet to see one. Mine doesn't have it, nor did my previous Broncos.

My guess is the air compressor. Looks just like it.
Compressor has a different connector.
+1

they were on the 302s, i think until they went with MAF. if the pressure hose was replaced, it might not have the right one without the port on it on it so they just ditched it
This.
I mostly see them on 302s but my 94 with MAF doesn't have one.
I just did a search on the power steering pressure switch and an older post from another forum popped up and said that only the 5.0 w/ manual tranny had a p/s pressure switch. Can anyone confirm this??
It's not just the manuals, Ive seen them on many trucks, most of them autos.
I can't find a very good picture. The PSP switch is mounted in the pressure hose so the PO may have swapped it with one that didn't have the switch and left the connector hanging.

Just For reference of what the switch looks like here's a ford escape engine, you can see the switch mounted in the pressure line on the left. Ford used the same switch for many years. The connector is the same one used for injectors.

If you run a KOER test you'll probably get a code for the PSP switch since it's missing.

·
Man of endless projects
9,288 Posts
my 88 had it with a 302 and C6 auto tranny. my 90 F250 with 302 and AOD auto tranny had it. my old 96 302 didn't have it and it was MAF. E-series vans with a 302 up to a certain year (probably when switched to MAF) had them and don't think they made an E-series with a manual.

the idea of the switch was to raise the RPM a couple hundred when steering at a stop to help the 302 from struggling cause god knows the 302 has little lowend torque

BTW, for those that have done a Saginaw pump swap on there 302, they do have a high pressure hose for it with the pressure switch port. just look for a similar year as your truck E-150 with 302

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Compressor has a different connector.

This.
I mostly see them on 302s but my 94 with MAF doesn't have one.

It's not just the manuals, Ive seen them on many trucks, most of them autos.
I can't find a very good picture. The PSP switch is mounted in the pressure hose so the PO may have swapped it with one that didn't have the switch and left the connector hanging.

I don't have the pressure switch so the PO must have changed it. So far I haven't noticed any issues, other than an error code is there anything wrong with just leaving it alone?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts