Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased the Ford scanner for my 91 Bronco. I want to check why I have the test engine light on but I can't find the EEC test plug. Does anyone know where it would be on a 91 Bronco. I found a big black box that has multiple plugs and one said EEC power but does not say EEC test. Is this the one I am looking for? Help. :whiteflag

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
under hood, on drivers side fender. you will have a big plug with several (5 i think) slots in it, and then there should be a small 1 slot connector as the other test lead. they should be close to each other, in fact from the factory they both snapped into a cover.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
You found the correct connector holder. It holds the EEC Power Relay, the Fuel pump relay, and the Data link connector DLC otherwise known as the EEC Self Test Plug.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
BTW seattle, that ford obd1 scanner is sweet. I got one on order now...it was only like $25 and has a digital code readout instead of the flashing lights....

I highly reccomended it to anyone repairing an obd1 ford. SOOOOOO much faster and easier

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
BTW seattle, that ford obd1 scanner is sweet. I got one on order now...it was only like $25 and has a digital code readout instead of the flashing lights....

I highly reccomended it to anyone repairing an obd1 ford. SOOOOOO much faster and easier
Compared to counting the flashes? Oh yea, much easier with acuracy and memory. The book is very good as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Truck turning off on Reverse

Hello,

Thank you to everyone who assisted me in locating my ECC test cable but now I have another question. I've noticed in these past couple of months that whenever I put the truck on reverse it tends to either turn off or it sounds like it wants to turn off. At the same time the battery indicator goes on low when I put it on reverse. The battery is good but can't figure out why all of a sudden it has started doing this. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Acceleration Problem

I have to say this is a great website for help w/bronco problems. I seem to have an acceleration problem with my truck. When i drive it for a while and then tunr it off for a while and then restart it it starts off really accelerated. It usually takes me having to shut off the truck for a few minutes and then restart it until it starts off correctly. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does I have to wait for a while to restart. Any suggestions. My mechanic change the piece that looks like an L near the carburetor a while ago but this problem is still there. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
I have to say this is a great website for help w/bronco problems. I seem to have an acceleration problem with my truck. When i drive it for a while and then tunr it off for a while and then restart it it starts off really accelerated. It usually takes me having to shut off the truck for a few minutes and then restart it until it starts off correctly. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does I have to wait for a while to restart. Any suggestions. My mechanic change the piece that looks like an L near the carburetor a while ago but this problem is still there. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
IAC valve testing

Ooops... Sorry, you stated "carburator" which means you do not have an IAC...

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Seattle, My '90 is FI, he has a '91. I'm thinking that he is looking at the throttle body, thinking that it is a carb.

I'd suggest that you pull diagnostic codes. It may be as simple as a vacuum leak.

Pull Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) From your onboard computer.
Your engine and transmission are computer controlled.
The computer uses sensors to tell it a number of different things and it controls actuators that push or pull mechanical levers (kinda). If one or more sensors aren't working properly, the computer goes "blind" and doesn't know what to do. If the computer can "see" but one of the actuators is broken and therefore can't follow the commands of the computer; the engine won't run correctly. The computer is preprogrammed with set values for each of its sensors, and each of its actuators. It will run a self check of all systems, like the space shuttle; it will compare its set value(s) to the value(s) it recieves from its sensors, and actuators. If any sensor or acutator is out of the "normal" range the computer will generate a "code." It will generate some codes on the fly, and others will be stored while you are driving. There is a simple method to "pull codes" out of the computer for one to use for diagnostic purposes.
Earlier versions of On Board Diagnostics OBD 1983-1995 can flash the error code to the dash board and can be pulled in one's driveway without any special tools.
Later versions of On Board Diagnostics OBDII some 1995, and pretty much all 1996 and newer, require one to use a code reader or scanner tool.
Some auto parts stores will scan your engine codes for FREE, you may want to call around. Some will scan OBDII but not the older (prior to 1996) OBD systems.
SO here you go...
How to scan FORD on board Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in your driveway

HowTo Pull Codes 1983-1995 Broncos, Mustang, F series Trucks, Econolines, 302, 351 and more

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Seattle, My '90 is FI, he has a '91. I'm thinking that he is looking at the throttle body, thinking that it is a carb.
Sorry, it does say 91 Bronco. My mistake! :doh0715:

I would still confirm that the IAC has a gasket and is working correctly in addition to pulling codes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts