Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know where to attach a tow rope to if i were to get stuck. In the front bumper i dont have the little hooks that stick out of the bumper and in the back i just have a 3500lb ball hitch that is on the bumper. where should i attach a tow rope if i get stuck or if i have to pull someone out? Thanks im pretty new to the muddin scene.

·
Registered
271 Posts
ive attached mine to my hitch a few times but i never yank or have had two. sorry for little help

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Here is what I did in the front. Just a couple of hooks bolted to the inside of the frame rails. It was cheap and easy. In the back you can get a hitch receiver and get one of those removable shackles. I don't know if you should attach anything to your bumper. Has anybody just put a big D-ring in the hole where the ball goes?

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
If your gonna wheel get a winch, you can either get one attached to a winch bumper or even a portable hitch one. Bottom line is even if you don't have tow points you still need to get your rig out of the mud, so drivers side of the axle if you have a TTB, from back either side of axle but my back hitch has factory tow spots in there. Good luck finding it if you in the mud:) They sell some really inexpensive winches that will get the job done smitty 299. You need 8 to 10k rated winch to do the job, preferably 10.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
If your gonna wheel get a winch, you can either get one attached to a winch bumper or even a portable hitch one. Bottom line is even if you don't have tow points you still need to get your rig out of the mud, so drivers side of the axle if you have a TTB, from back either side of axle.

I don't think I would hook anything to the axles. That is a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
I don't think I would hook anything to the axles. That is a bad idea.
Wheeling without tow points and a winch is a bad idea, it's almost impossible to find a part of the frame to wrap it to, and using the skid plate would really be awkward, so minus tow points what would you do? Friends put you mud boots on a push.:thumbup It depends on how stuck you are, if your in deep don't use axles, call a tow company. But, if you just need for your wheels to get traction and your not deep 99% it isn't going to hurt nothing using your axles.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
I dont know where to attach a tow rope to if i were to get stuck. In the front bumper i dont have the little hooks that stick out of the bumper and in the back i just have a 3500lb ball hitch that is on the bumper. where should i attach a tow rope if i get stuck or if i have to pull someone out? Thanks im pretty new to the muddin scene.
Do NOT use the tow ball for recovery straps, chains, or ropes. They are deadly missiles when they snap off and have killed people.

Pulling on the axle beams is a bad idea, don't do it.

Get some tow hooks for the front, or even a short sling you can choke off of the frame rail or bumper in between the frame rails. You could do this with the rear also.

For the rear you can use a receiver for a tow ball but install a nice big shackle through the hole instead of a tow ball.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
just hook the tow strap to you're hood latch.. you can always use a seatbelt if you dont have a strap handy.
just kidding.

i usually hook to the frame if there is nothing else available to hook to, on my own vehicles i install a ring, or hook to the frame (or build it into the bumper). of course a hitch is a great spot to hook on for the back of the truck, just put the hook right through the safety chain holes.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,200 Posts
:stupid No on the tow ball as a recovery point. Kinda turns into a small cannon ball aimed at the nice guy at the other end.

These seem like a better choice, depending on the strength of your receiver hitch.

Here's some related links. 1 contains several links with "How To" recovery info. 2 has a "How To" video. 3, 4, & 5 have info on recovery points. 6 covers a list of gear to bring.
Recovery
1-VEHICLE RECOVERY Damager -Links in posts 1, 6, 12, & 13.
2-Using Kinetic Straps A Must View! bossind
3-Front End Tow Hook Installation Froggmann's site.
4-97-03 F-150 Factory Tow Hook install on an 88 Bronco. Clarko -Late in the thread they cover installation on accordion style frames as well.
5-getting ready to install front recovery points spaustin889

Trail Equipment/Fixes
6-REQUIRED TRAIL EQUIPMENT (az guys listen up) Dustin
7-Trail Fixes 101 Hefty
On my 90 I installed these tow loops from an expedition following the info in Clarko's link #4 above.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot for all the help. I just got my bronco 2 weeks ago and im trying to find to find out all the stuff i should know before i go mudding. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
This reminds me of a time a few years ago when this guy got his thunderbird stuck in a ditch. I said I would tow him out and gave him one end of a rope. (I hooked the other to my tow hook) I said hook it to something sturdy. He says to me "Well Ford did something right, they put a tow loop on the front of my car" I didnt look at it and gave him a yank. After a short pull and loud noise, I checked it out. He hooked it to the transmission cooler line. He didnt have anything nice to say about Ford then. LOL

On a side note, if you got a good ball on a reciever, you will distroy the truck before snaping it off.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
This reminds me of a time a few years ago when this guy got his thunderbird stuck in a ditch. I said I would tow him out and gave him one end of a rope. (I hooked the other to my tow hook) I said hook it to something sturdy. He says to me "Well Ford did something right, they put a tow loop on the front of my car" I didnt look at it and gave him a yank. After a short pull and loud noise, I checked it out. He hooked it to the transmission cooler line. He didnt have anything nice to say about Ford then. LOL

On a side note, if you got a good ball on a reciever, you will distroy the truck before snaping it off.

There's a local 4x4 club here where i live. they have one member less now, since they tried pulling a guy out by his ball hitch - the ball came loose, and somehow sprung back and hit the pull-out truck driver in the back of the head, killed him instantly.

i know it seems really unlikely, but it's just a bad idea. always, always hook to something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts