Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After considering a S/C or turbo, many of you suggested to buy a good built 351 instead of going S/C.
Do you know a good source to buy a well built 351?
I like to keep my MPG to 10, 12 and a very reliable motor with lots of low end torque????
All suggestions are greatly apreciated.

Thank you

PS. I got a 92 5.8 with a custom expedition camper built on it.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
You might want to talk to some local machine shops and see what they can do for ya.

Also i know ford racing sells some crate 351w's too...... fordracing.com
And always checkout ebay.

Make sure it has a good warranty whatever you get

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
find something with a good warranty...any 351 will ahve good power...
? ... why dont you just improve your stock 5.8??? put a RV cam in it..replace the upper intake manifold which is very restrictive..headers plugs wires etc...

you can get plenty of power outta your 5.8 with out spending thousands on a new "built" 351

a cam(150-200 bux), intake(around 250), decent headers(200-400), and your ignition stuff(150 max)

your looking at less than a grand for the same power as a built one from online...

oh and if you want more power spend another grand on some decent heads for 50-75 more ft/lbs

just be very selective and pick parts the build power low in the rpm range..

DC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
replacing with RV cam, do I have to replace mass air? which intake and cam?

thank you all for your suggestions....
Ford tells me that if I replace the cam (with a RV cam), the whole mass air and wiring has to be changed and that it wont idle right....???
Ford Racing has a crate eng. with improved Induction System (Ford Racing Dual Plane) instead of the stock 2V Aluminum intake, it has 250 hp.
On ebay there is a 351 w lightning long block with gt40 heads for $2089, would this be a good solution? Will all the parts off the original 5.8 fit with no modifications, or do I have to do custom work and upgrade the whole computer and mass air, wireing....?
How about the ford racing with an improved RV cam? What else would I need that does not come off my stock engine.

Thank you

DcSkater602 said:
find something with a good warranty...any 351 will ahve good power...
? ... why dont you just improve your stock 5.8??? put a RV cam in it..replace the upper intake manifold which is very restrictive..headers plugs wires etc...

you can get plenty of power outta your 5.8 with out spending thousands on a new "built" 351

a cam(150-200 bux), intake(around 250), decent headers(200-400), and your ignition stuff(150 max)

your looking at less than a grand for the same power as a built one from online...

oh and if you want more power spend another grand on some decent heads for 50-75 more ft/lbs

just be very selective and pick parts the build power low in the rpm range..

DC

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
dolomiti said:
Ford tells me that if I replace the cam (with a RV cam), the whole mass air and wiring has to be changed and that it wont idle right....?
1. You dont have Mass-Air, you have Speed Density. So you wouldnt change it, you would convert to it.

2. You can do heads, exhaust intake and a S.D. freindly cam with no problems.

4. You will have problems with your S.D. system becouse of the cam in most crate engines. (not mmeant for S.D.)

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would start with other stuff (if you havent already) like headers, exhuast and intake. unless you have a blown up motor and I dunno what I would do then.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
You can search for a decent short block or long block or you can search on here and see what many of us have done and do it yourself. If you can't DIY you could still get all the specific parts you want, take the engine and parts to the machine shop and have them do it for you. Sounds like the Ford guy you talked to didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
I agree with the other posts. If your current block and heads are O.K., have them machined at a local machine shop. The shop will Magnaflux the head & block for any cracks, do the boring and deck work. All you have to supply is the internals, like pistons and crank, etc. If you want a crate engine that is fully assembled and ready to drop in, Ford or Jasper are what I would suggest. Look at $2500-$3000 for that package. Since you're efi, you prolly don't want a radical race motor. If you do, plan to spend $3K on the short block alone or look for a used racing motor. You may be able to find a used stock motor for $400-$500, and that may the best option if you have time. Research your options, as the stock EFI 351W only has about 210HP. which is only about 150HP at the rear wheels. IF you have the opportunity to install a Stroker 351W, that may be considered. Your stock ECM and drivetrain will need to be modified for any major HP increase, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts