Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine bay wiring is a spag nightmare. Is there somewhere I can find out where all the grounds hook up to?

I'm thinking my charging problem might have something to do with a few wires that seem lost from their home...thanks to all the corrosion, and fell off. But i can't find out where they are supposed to go...

:whiteflag
Joe

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
if its a ground you can ground on any good solid area. there should be a bunch of them on your truck. make sure there is on between the frame and body to. you may need to clean them up.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i bookmarked this thread when i redid mine a couple months ago.

hope it helps.

http://broncozone.com/topic/21241-ground-battery-cable-wtf/

i think there is a cigar in your future....

i replaced the ground for the battery - terminal that went the the block and it had that strange connector on it...i didn't think much of it because it wasn't attached to anything...but looked like it could be attached to the frame...

holy crap if this is what was wrong with the truck i'm gonna go nuts. :popc1:

Hypothetically speaking...could the absense of a ground to the frame cause the battery to die/not charge?

·
was born with a
4,414 Posts
im no electrical guy,but im leaning with yes.

when my battery terminal touched my hood, it fried all my grounds. the body ground connector was completely charred and would only allow the truck to start with the auto start for some reason.

when i pulled them all out and replaced, havent had an issue since.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im no electrical guy,but im leaning with yes.

when my battery terminal touched my hood, it fried all my grounds. the body ground connector was completely charred and would only allow the truck to start with the auto start for some reason.

when i pulled them all out and replaced, havent had an issue since.
well tickle me pink...i was driving home *when it was driveable* and the battery kept hitting the frame and sparking...i didn't know it did anything besides spark...i of course moved it to a safer location and secured it down...but this is a big coincidence.

hmmmmmmmm sooo something i wanna try this weekend.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Did you get the 1982 EVTM yet? it lists all the grounds and their locations and pictures!
203 right front frame & engine block
701 firewall behind radio
801 left side of core suport
802 right side of core suport
804 behind left tailight
805 behind right tailight
751 behind left tailight

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
grounds are very important is all i know. 1st thing to check with any electric problems on vehicles

·
was born with a
4,414 Posts
well tickle me pink...i was driving home *when it was driveable* and the battery kept hitting the frame and sparking...i didn't know it did anything besides spark...i of course moved it to a safer location and secured it down...but this is a big coincidence.

hmmmmmmmm sooo something i wanna try this weekend.
i think it also killed my last alternator as well.

i have my battery down so tight now, i dont even want to think about taking it out.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you get the 1982 EVTM yet? it lists all the grounds and their locations and pictures!
203 right front frame & engine block
701 firewall behind radio
801 left side of core suport
802 right side of core suport
804 behind left tailight
805 behind right tailight
751 behind left tailight
I pick it up tomorrow. It shipped to my parents house :banghead

great to know there are pictures for this illiterate :toothless
grounds are very important is all i know. 1st thing to check with any electric problems on vehicles
:haha noted...:doh0715: never knew that was such a big deal...
i think it also killed my last alternator as well.

i have my battery down so tight now, i dont even want to think about taking it out.
yea...after this ordeal..my battery and it's support is gonna get a make over.

Luckily it wasn't able to touch anything while the new 3g alt was in :rockon i'd hate to have to buy another one of those. :twak

1 - 12 of 12 Posts