Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the Bronco it came with one key, ignition. It did not have the door keys or the key for the rear glass switch. I have since replaced the door cylinders but can't seem to find a replacement cylinder for the rear keyed switch. Any hints or suggestions? Is there a number somewhere on the truck that would tell a locksmith what key to make? Or at least a catalog that sells a replacement cylinder and key?

Thanks

·
OMF
2,930 Posts
Do you have an existing tailgate switch?
If so does your door key fit into the tailgate switch?
If you answered yes to these I would take the cylinder out of the tailgate, take it to an automotive locksmith and have it repined to match your door key. Had mine done for $15.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yea what Raleigh said... lol...

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have the same key for ignition switch ,tailgate and doors.
Its cheaper to have the lock repined than buying a new lock.
The tailgate lock cylinder is really easy to remove.
Marc

·
Forward Some Money
5,044 Posts
The original had one key for the ignition, doors, tailgate on a "square" headed key.
If your doors take an oval headed key (i.e. the ignition key won't enter the door/tailgate) then someone has probably replaced the doors and tailgate with a later model set.

In hindsight, it would have been easier 'n cheaper to pull a door lock and take it to a locksmith to make a key for the doors, which probably would have fit the tailgate also.

You basically have 2 options:

1) Since the doors are already swapped, you could just pull the tailgate lock to a locksmith repin it. You could replace it with a new lock, but then you'd have 2 oval headed keys.

2) Take one of the door locks (that where in it when you got it) to the locksmith and
have a key made for that lock. Hopefully, it will fit the other door lock AND the tailgate.
Then you could just put the "original" door locks back in and not need to screw with the tailgate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts