Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so basically where is the eec relay on a 1986 302? I have no power at the red wire at the fuel pump relay, which comes from the multiple "i assume splice" point which gets its power from the eec relay. (i'm going off the wiring diagram). I have zero spark, no fuel pump, no fuel even if i power the fuel pump seperately, etc. However, if i route power directly to the red wire at the fuel pump relay the truck STARTS and runs great. I am a little hesitant about this though as i am now supplying all the power down the rather small red wire at the fuel pump relay back to the splice of like 12 wires (as per the diagram). the wire doesn't get hot but id rather fix the problem at the source or at least route power directly to the big splice point. so if anyone knows where the splice point is or where the eec relay is please fill me in. my fuel pump relay is on the driver side fender but no eec relay??? i've also checked for power after all my fusible links at the solenoid, but unfortunately they all checked good. also of note, this is an older model that does not have the newer style power distribution box with all the relays. cant believe i cant find this stupid relay..:banghead

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
The relay is next to the EEC; up under the dash, to the right of the steering wheel, behind the little storage pocket thingy.
Ain't the thing circled in green the EEC relay on our 86's ?

I've had the EEC box out on mine and never noticed a relay under the dash ?

Sixlitre

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Ain't the thing circled in green the EEC relay on our 86's ?

Not on my 85, and I was pretty sure that the 86's are the same. I only have one relay where your green circle is, and it's for the fuel pump.

I've had the EEC box out on mine and never noticed a relay under the dash ?
Hmmm. wakeav8b did say his wasn't under the hood, so maybe some 86's had them there and some were under the dash? :shrug

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Not on my 85, and I was pretty sure that the 86's are the same. I only have one relay where your green circle is, and it's for the fuel pump.

Hmmm. wakeav8b did say his wasn't under the hood, so maybe some 86's had them there and some were under the dash? :shrug
Must be Broncoboy

My fuel pump relay(circled in blue) should be plugged into that relay holder behind the EEC relay (in fact I think I have since plugged it back in).

I assume the previous owner took it to some Chevy type mechanic who obviously couldn't figure out where it went so he screwed it on, wherever he could (imbecile).

Sixlitre

Sixlitre

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright guys HUGE thx for the help. in my case bronco boy was correct. i found the eec relay removed from its mount and stuffed up into the dash (previous owner did this for some reason i guess) right next to the computer. the relay has very low input power and thus low output power when it clicks. i hot wired the output power at the relay and poof the truck started right up. im suspecting a short on the wire but havn't checked yet. my battery was dead but its also been sitting quite a while on and off while doing my lift so i just assumed the battery was going to crap, maby not???

to six litre.. i do have a second relay next to my fuel pump relay but its not the eec relay, in fact i have no idea what it is. unfortunately the previous owner removed all the mounts and they are just zip tied to the fender so they don't match your picture.. i was studying that pic for quite a bit. Actually only 2 of the wires to my eec relay even match my haynes manual, but i know its the right one as it started my truck right up after hot wiring it .. odd. of course ill keep you 2 updated to what i find

also sweet truck mines blue and white just like yours :beer

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
also sweet truck mines blue and white just like yours :beer
Right back at ya wake

Our 80-86s sure do look good (Sixlitre patting himself on the back;)). Now you two have me wondering just WTF that second relay is :scratchhe(next to the fuel pump).

Maybe someone else knows ?

Sixlitre

1 - 9 of 9 Posts