Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '96 with a 351 seems to have an oil leak going. I degrease underneath around the oil pan and up between tranny bell housing each time I change the oil. I noticed when the truck was setting level, I had some accumulation on the floor. In the driveway when parked (on a slope) I never see this. The problem I had on my old '94 with a straight six was a rear seal, but it coated the underside, tailgate and back window. I don't see any of this. Is it a possible rear seal issue? Any thoughts? I have been running synthetic oil in it since it was a baby. Thanks a bunch!:confused:

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
is your oil pan rusty, even a little, there is where my leak was. the piant looks good, but is a flaking of rusted paint, doesn teven look bad. but its a PIA to swap it out

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Oscar, I will check that. Bronco Bro, it was great seeing you, but I forgot to get the darn seal!! Too much sniping going on. The oil pan looks great, no rust. I did see that one bolt is missiing. Is it possible that the one bolt could cause this? When I look at it, it appears that the oil is making it's way done from the bell housing or somewhere. Again, maybe it comes down to the one bolt. Thanks for the info.:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine is leaking in exactly the same spot. My assumption is that its the rear main seal. I have a bolt missing from the bellhousing too but I don't think this is the issue. There shouldn't be any oil in the bellhousing to leak.

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
Can't remember who gave this advice before but it might have been Dustin or Damon, I'm pretty sure it started with a D, anyway look for the rubber plug near the front of your tranny, you should see it near the oil drain pan. pull this plug and feel around inside. If there is oil in there, then I'm told its a leaking rear main.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts