Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Which auto locker?

2K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  hav24wheel 
#1 ·
#2 ·
From your picture it looks like you could use one. Plus, it sounds like a good price either way. I would use the Richmond because a buddy of mine has a Aussie in his Jeep and it makes too much noise for me. Putting one in the front will help pull you up and over rocks etc. so I would say go for it. Once I lock up the rear I'm going to look for something up front too! Great looking rig by the way. Looks like you do alot of research before you buy parts too from your Bronco info, I do the same....:thumbup -Kevin-

#17 ·
#3 ·
hey thanks man, ur looks great too, im always lookin to save a penny but u also get what u pay for, and the drive tran is not a good place to skimp on. i heard the lock right makes noise too but only in tight turns. and if putting one up front wont put that much stress on my front end then i might swap it in too ;)

#12 ·
Just a little warning, the pic in your sigline shows snow. If you do a lot of driving on snowy/icy roads, you may want to go with a selectable or a good LS.

Autolockers can be a bit squirly on snow/ice covered roads.

#19 ·
Because having both tires push instead of a pegleg does make it more squirrely, particularly in long sweeping corners where you have to get on the throttle.

#14 ·
I run a lockright in the back of my 8.8. I'm overall happy with it. As Gacknar has alluded, they can be interesting in the foul weather, but like everything else long as you know how to deal with it, you can overcome it.

In either lockers case, get a set of extra springs/pins, I've broken a few of the pins over the years, in a few different applications.

#20 ·
I have a lock-rite in front. It works fine when I need traction, but it works too good when I dont on dry pavment. Of course I shift it out of four wheel then. But if you break a driveshaft/u-joint and have to drive on the front diff, it's a PITA. I got the powertrax "soft locker" in the rear. Its much better on road and works great offroad to. But it cost more than a straight lock-rite.

#25 ·
Hell, I knew about the wheelbase part of it, I drove a spooled up 68 Bronco all through high school, that would want to slide around if you let off the gas too fast.

I suppose the sudden lockup of the locker *might* toss someone for a spin, but if you are pushing on the gas hard enough to lock trhe locker, you *should* be prepared for a slide if its slick out. I really don't notice the locker in my DD, unless I'm stomping on the gas.

Even when I let people barrow my pickup, they never comment on how it handles, they just tell me "your pickup clicks sometimes"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.