Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Need a Bumper?
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was wondering about the 4140 vs. 4340 alloys. I was told today by a local 4x4 shop that superior and some others only heat treat the splines and stubs of their axles but that warn heat treats the entire shaft which is what gives it more durrability. It just seems to me that for warns costing around $750 for the front not including u joints compared to superiors for almost half of that, are the warns really worth the money?

· Need a Bumper?
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's where it becomes your decision.

I heard this, I heard that. I'm sure some of what is heard/written is certainly true. But in the end, warn shafts matched with quality alloy joints are going to be over $1000, probably closer to $1100 once shipped.

yukon joints and superjoints were $675 for me. I just could not cough up another $400 and was willing to try these. Same choice for you.

Aurorabusa just broke an ox joint after 3 years of use. While I have not wheeled my rig hard, so far what it's been used for I have had no issue with the axleshafts. Depending on what your wheeling setup (big block? low geared including manual tranny? Large tires, etc.) and style of driving are might help you decide.

Also, what do you plan to do with joints? Your front driveline to the wheels is only as strong as the weakest link. And if a Ujoint goes, so goes a shaft yoke or two (usually).
My initial thought was to stick with the yukon or moser axles and I was looking at both the ox and ctm joints. I liked that the moser max axles were built thicker around the ujoint (a common break point). I know that with running a mildly built 400, manual trans. and 4.56 gears, all on 38's I'm pushing the limits of the 44 and probably need to upgrade to a 60. However, that is just not in the budget right now so in the meantime I'm looking for something relatively affordable:doh0715: that I can run until I have the funds to do the 60 swap. Plans include: alloy shafts & ujoints, LS diff(not too much strain on the rest off the mess) and off course I have to replace the ball joints too. (definately gonna get the kingpin style 60) I've heard really good things about the Warn shafts but the extra 400 is a lot to swallow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.