Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Its been awhile since ive been here. Used to be here every day untill i got married. lol Anyways i finially have permission to finish my bronco project.

Let me bring you up to speed. 86 bronco. converted to solid front axel with long travel suspension front and rear. i put a new stock 5.0 with an rv cam. (dont know the specs) Then converted my speed density to mass air. I used a 93 model a9m mustang computer to do so. Little did i know the mustang uses a HO cam with different firing orders on the injectors. I know some people say its fine the way it is. But it bugs me cuz the truck lopes a little hard and doesnt idle the way id hoped for.

So if i remember right (its been years since ive been here) My options are to either reprogram the computer to fix the firing order. Or get a new cam with the correct firing order.

Being my cam is kinda lopes a lot, and i hope to do alot of rock crawling i was thinking the cam swap would be the way to go. Am i right? If so i need some advice on the best HO cam to install.

86 Bronco
5.0 stock crate motor convereted to mustang maf.
stock transmission and transfercase.
4.88 gears front and back with lockers.
I would just like a smooth idle with decent power. Not looking to enter any speed races. I just want to drive it around town and go crawling when i feel the need.

Thanks, Bigguy

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just hoping for some suggestions from some fellow bronco users with experiance. I was hoping to order something tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Called comp cams today. He gave me 2 part numbers depending if i have a roller lifters or hydrolic flat tappet. Im not sure which is 1986 factory.

The Tappet cam is part number.... 35-255-5. Here is a link to the specs.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-35-255-5/

The Roller cam is part number.... 35-320-8
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-35-320-8/

It seem I remember reading in the archives that you can convert to a roller cam. And It seems to me the roller cam would be the best for my app.

Any suggestions?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
1. The mismatched injector/cam firing order is not the cause of your lope.

2. Stock 86 5.0 was Flat tappet cam with E6 "Fast Burn" Heads and flat top pistons (No valve reliefs) This combination means you must be very careful how much lift any cam you use has. (Aftermarket rebuilds may have valve relifes in the pistons)

3. You can convert from flat tappet lifters by using retrofit roller lifters.

4. A very popular cam right now for the 5.0 is the factory Mustang H.O. roller cam. Good low end torque and a broad power range.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,858 Posts
all you should have to do is change your injector order to match the cam and do the same of course with the plug wires.

do you have the specs on the cam you installed in there?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
all you should have to do is change your injector order to match the cam and do the same of course with the plug wires.

do you have the specs on the cam you installed in there?
that totally screws up the ECM. your flipping left side injectors for right side and the ECM reads each bank off of the O2's.

either leave it
change the cam to suit the mustang firing order
or get a chip/tuner to correct the firing order.

I personelly would get a better cam in there to suit the SEFI better. Just be careful as posted above on piston to valve clearance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts