Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just picked up my first Bronco...VERY excited. Only 78k original miles. But, the Carb is in need of repair. I'm not going to be doing an off roading and am just looking for the best most cost effective carb option for increased power, stability and MPG increase.

What is everyone's opinion?

Oh, almost forgot. I have a 351M, stock - nothing ever changed or upgraded. Still has the original wires/plugs.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,536 Posts
That engine came with a Motorcrap 2150-2V, stock. You can pick 'em up just about anywhere. If you want good MPG, stick with it. Not tremendously powerful, but economical. However, if you look to haul stuff around, tow a trailer, etc., the get a Rochester Q-jet or an Edelbrock 1406 and 4-BBL manifold; it'll give good mileage with the small primaries, but a real power boost when you open the secondaries. BTW, the engine's 18K overdue for the Big Enchilada tune-up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That engine came with a Motorcrap 2150-2V, stock. You can pick 'em up just about anywhere. If you want good MPG, stick with it. Not tremendously powerful, but economical. However, if you look to haul stuff around, tow a trailer, etc., the get a Rochester Q-jet or an Edelbrock 1406 and 4-BBL manifold; it'll give good mileage with the small primaries, but a real power boost when you open the secondaries. BTW, the engine's 18K overdue for the Big Enchilada tune-up.
Thanks for the info! Dumb question here...as am an idiot when it comes to cars and am learning on the fly. What do you mean by Big Enchilada tune-up? Is that just a normal tune up?

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,536 Posts
Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter and PCV valve; check all fluids' conditions and replace as needed (brake, trans, coolant, P/S); check all belts and adjust/replace as necessary.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Your stock motocraft 2150 is perfect for your application; it is a very reliable and easy to use carb. Run from anyone who says use a Q-Jet, never use one. Edelbrock 1406 will work as well for daily driving. Do a simple tune up, toss in some seafoam (search it) and you whould be good to go.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Ok, just picked up my first Bronco...VERY excited. Only 78k original miles. But, the Carb is in need of repair. I'm not going to be doing an off roading and am just looking for the best most cost effective carb option for increased power, stability and MPG increase.

What is everyone's opinion?

Oh, almost forgot. I have a 351M, stock - nothing ever changed or upgraded. Still has the original wires/plugs.
You shure that you have an M-block? 1982 should have a 351W with something called a Variable Venturi Carb. To be sure I always count the valve cover bolts. 8 = M-block, 6 = Wheezer.

If your carb looks like this then you have a Variable Venturi with EEC-III

http://www.carb-x.com/domestic-carb...er-engine/302ci-351ci/variable-venturi/23-981

1 - 6 of 6 Posts