Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 w/302. I am swapping out the C-6 for a T-18 and changing the gears from 3:00 to 3:50. I plan on running 32 or 33 tires.

OK...Now for the question...I currently have a 600 cfm Holley. I am not real impressed with its reliability (floods out on start ups/cold blooded). Should I stick with the Holley 600 or look at the Edelbrock 500 or 600. What about the truck avenger and any others that are reliable.

Any Ideas would be great...

BroncoXpense

·
Registered
231 Posts
Edelbrock 600, and buy the off road needle and seat kit for an extra $15.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
i dunno about the off raod needle and seat for the edelbrocks, but normal edelbrocks suck off road, a stock replacement is better. Holley makes good off road carbs(some ford factory carbs. are holleys). Yours may just need a rebuild.

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
Ive got an Edelbrock 600 on mine, and it runs very well.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Gtndrty said:
I would stay away from Edelbrock. Either buy a Holley Truck Avenger or rebuild what you got.
yeah, thats basically what i was trying to say. Heck, even my street avenger did great, im gonna use it on my stroker till i go EFI

·
Registered
396 Posts
600 is too much for a 4.9. they recommend ~650 for a modded 400...

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
he has a 302, a 600cfm should be good for it

·
Bitchin.
1,871 Posts
i think a lot of these comments have brand loyalty attached to them, as well as the fact that sometimes they are great out of the box and other times they run like shit, but if you've ever seen any of my pictures, the edelbrock 600 holds up quite well under any situation. i put the off road needle and seat kit in as was said and its a great carb :thumbup. i can also vouch for its reliability on startup. drive it twice a week or so, and all i need to do it pump it a couple times and it turns right over.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My bronco has a edelbrock on it and my F-150 has a holley both are somewhat cold blooded. bronco acts up somewhat on startup but the F-150 2 pumps and will start no mater the temp i prefer holley or stock. have also used both for racing and prefer holley. i haven't ever tried the off road parts for either yet.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
84x4bronco said:
i think a lot of these comments have brand loyalty attached to them, as well as the fact that sometimes they are great out of the box and other times they run like shit, but if you've ever seen any of my pictures, the edelbrock 600 holds up quite well under any situation. i put the off road needle and seat kit in as was said and its a great carb :thumbup. i can also vouch for its reliability on startup. drive it twice a week or so, and all i need to do it pump it a couple times and it turns right over.
yes i am slightly biased towards holley :toothless

I think you have proved that the edelbrocks do run good with the off road needle and seat thou. Also, a edelbrock usually runs good out of the box with minimal tuning.

Holleys are know to be better off road out of the box, but they need some tuning usually, and most of the time make more power(usually not a concern on a bronco)

oh, and theres also the quadrajet....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Believe it or not I am also looking into a Quadrajet but will have to use a adapter and I am not a fan of those.

In my Blazer days...the Quadrajet was wonderful to say the least and would run up/down and sidewaze...It was great :thumbup

BroncoXpense

1 - 14 of 14 Posts