Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea what computer I should be using for this swap? The Quick Shift 4 is a standalone controller so I assume a 4.9/MT computer is the best choice, but does anyone have a PN or compatible Ford model/year(s) that I should be looking for in a donor vehicle?

Sent from my Hush-98 comlink

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I still believe that the demand will go down way more than the offer. After the initial panic buys by people that had the money to buy anyway, we will see the effect on the market of a lower demand from closed business, fired people and medical bills. Expect a flooded used market too. Production will go back up way faster than demand imho.
This doesn't address my question at all.

·
--------------
'96 XL EEC-V 347 E40D 1356 411 6" lift 35x12.50x15
4,795 Posts
What Transmission you going to run?

I was researching these a while back,
actually found the Installation Manual on their website with detailed instructions.
Including a questionaire on which types of connectors i needed.

with all that said, I would think you want the stock PCM.?

Quick 4 Stand-Alone Transmission Control

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What Transmission you going to run?

I was researching these a while back,
actually found the Installation Manual on their website with detailed instructions.
Including a questionaire on which types of connectors i needed.

with all that said, I would think you want the stock PCM.?

Quick 4 Stand-Alone Transmission Control
I'm running a 4R70W and Quick 4. I got a line on a '94/MT Bronco computer but I'm unsure whether that is sufficient or whether I need one from a '96 and/or California specific model.

·
--------------
'96 XL EEC-V 347 E40D 1356 411 6" lift 35x12.50x15
4,795 Posts
Cool,
My experience w/ 96' Parts -
VIN # is Important and as I understand it,
the last 5 numbers b-4 or after 12,000 denote obd-I vs obd-II.
Then there is the "Cali" connection (rules)
personally i would lean towards the Factory pcm. (depending on vin #)

Eitherway tho' it appears that only 3 of connections go to the pcm anyway.
(Ground, Power & TPS)

Here is the Manual for the 4R70W,
https://www.usshift.com/downloads/Q4-4R70WmanualG2.pdf

still have to I.D. the Transmission Connectors tho'.

I have been back & forth on this system for some time now,
Can't wait to hear your "real world" thoughts on this Upgrade.

Good Luck,
Dragon

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,339 Posts
the last 5 numbers b-4 or after 12,000 denote obd-I vs obd-II
This is very important. There were a number of OBD I (speed density) trucks built in 96. All federal emmisions F350 and F-superduty gas trucks were this way. Diesel were OBDII

My 96 OBD I 351w has a ECU code of HOB1 and is for C6 transimissions. This would likely be the best candidate for a standalone controller if you were running OBD I.

Reactions: White Dragon

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool,
the last 5 numbers b-4 or after 12,000 denote obd-I vs obd-II.
Then there is the "Cali" connection (rules)
personally i would lean towards the Factory pcm. (depending on vin #)

Eitherway tho' it appears that only 3 of connections go to the pcm anyway.
(Ground, Power & TPS)

Here is the Manual for the 4R70W,
https://www.usshift.com/downloads/Q4-4R70WmanualG2.pdf

still have to I.D. the Transmission Connectors tho'.

I have been back & forth on this system for some time now,
Can't wait to hear your "real world" thoughts on this Upgrade.

Good Luck,
Dragon
I've already identified the proper connectors and will be purchasing the controller with provision for the input shaft sensor - I'm considering TIG brazing an aluminum boss that's been machined and bored to accept that sensor onto the case, just to test my welding skills. If in the event that I don't go that route, the manufacturer says I can just plug the port and disable that in the tune on the computer.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is very important. There were a number of OBD I (speed density) trucks built in 96. All federal emmisions F350 and F-superduty gas trucks were this way. Diesel were OBDII

My 96 OBD I 351w has a ECU code of HOB1 and is for C6 transimissions. This would likely be the best candidate for a standalone controller if you were running OBD I.
Blue my '96 motor is MAF, but I'm curious to know why you would suggest an ECU for a C6 rather than MT?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,339 Posts
Blue my '96 motor is MAF, but I'm curious to know why you would suggest an ECU for a C6 rather than MT?

Well you wont likely find a C6/AOD computer for a MAF engine. My C6 was a special order for a municipality. But the reason being is there are slight differences in the engine tune for auto and manual transmissions. Since you are staying auto with the 4R70W, it may make slight improvements to drivability. I cant say how much improvement, and i bet its negligible.

I dont see a reason as to why or what is involved in the swap... Are you dropping a 96 300 and a 4r70w into a different bronco? Or just swapping transmissions?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well you wont likely find a C6/AOD computer for a MAF engine. My C6 was a special order for a municipality. But the reason being is there are slight differences in the engine tune for auto and manual transmissions. Since you are staying auto with the 4R70W, it may make slight improvements to drivability. I cant say how much improvement, and i bet its negligible.

I dont see a reason as to why or what is involved in the swap... Are you dropping a 96 300 and a 4r70w into a different bronco? Or just swapping transmissions?
My Bronco currently has a 351w/AOD and I'm swapping the 300/4R70W in. Remember: my name on fordsix is 66WarPony (haven't gotten it changed over yet).

·
Addicted to Junk
16,339 Posts
My Bronco currently has a 351w/AOD and I'm swapping the 300/4R70W in. Remember: my name on fordsix is 66WarPony (haven't gotten it changed over yet).

Yeah I know who ya are! Is it the 89 in your sig line?

I cant find any solid info if F350 4.9 in 97 went MAF. Though I had limited time to search.

Otherwise, any 4.9 MAF eec should work.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I know who ya are! Is it the 89 in your sig line?

I cant find any solid info if F350 4.9 in 97 went MAF. Though I had limited time to search.

Otherwise, any 4.9 MAF eec should work.
It is indeed the one in my signature. So are you saying there is no CA specific ECU?

·
Man of endless projects
9,793 Posts
you just need to find a 96 4.9 manual trans PCM. actually should not be that hard ive seen many at the junkyard

96 4.9 will be OBD-II EEC-V which is 104 pin connector. 95 and earlier use a OBD-I EEC-IV 60-pin connector so that will not work

96-97 heavy duty F250 and F350 still use OBD-I EEC-IV 60-pin. but these should not have used the 4.9 or 5.0. they used 5.8, 7.5 and 7.3 diesels. im not actually sure they made the light duty F250 in 96 but they would be OBD-II EEC-V and could have the 4.9, 5.0 and 5.8. the 97 light duty F250 went to the new body style which is completely different.

i asked on a tuning forum before about using a PCM for a 4R70W and tuning it for E4OD but never got a complete answer and was told there is something that makes it not easily done. so getting a 96 4.9 E4OD computer and tuning it for 4R70W usage might not work. possibly tho? the 4R70W has an OSS sensor the E4OD does not. but there are several 5.0 4R70W F150s as well as 5.0 E4OD F150. not sure if the computer uses the same PCM Hardware codes or not.

BUT it might be possible to use a 5.0 4R70W computer and tune it for use as the 4.9. not actually sure if you can simple tune the PCM to be a 6 cylidner and it to work fine or not. i know all the settings in the program are there to do it but i have no idea if it works. jsut like all the settings to change from E4OD to 4R70W are there but idk if it would work either. but it might be easier than using a standalone trans controller.

ill see if i can look into it more. the tuning 'strategy' for the 4.9 is the same as the 5.0 and 5.8. i might be able to look up more into the different tunes and find out more info into this. it might be easier to tune a 4.9 E4OD PCM into a 4R70W than i think

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you just need to find a 96 4.9 manual trans PCM. actually should not be that hard ive seen many at the junkyard

96 4.9 will be OBD-II EEC-V which is 104 pin connector. 95 and earlier use a OBD-I EEC-IV 60-pin connector so that will not work

96-97 heavy duty F250 and F350 still use OBD-I EEC-IV 60-pin. but these should not have used the 4.9 or 5.0. they used 5.8, 7.5 and 7.3 diesels. im not actually sure they made the light duty F250 in 96 but they would be OBD-II EEC-V and could have the 4.9, 5.0 and 5.8. the 97 light duty F250 went to the new body style which is completely different.

i asked on a tuning forum before about using a PCM for a 4R70W and tuning it for E4OD but never got a complete answer and was told there is something that makes it not easily done. so getting a 96 4.9 E4OD computer and tuning it for 4R70W usage might not work. possibly tho? the 4R70W has an OSS sensor the E4OD does not. but there are several 5.0 4R70W F150s as well as 5.0 E4OD F150. not sure if the computer uses the same PCM Hardware codes or not.

BUT it might be possible to use a 5.0 4R70W computer and tune it for use as the 4.9. not actually sure if you can simple tune the PCM to be a 6 cylidner and it to work fine or not. i know all the settings in the program are there to do it but i have no idea if it works. jsut like all the settings to change from E4OD to 4R70W are there but idk if it would work either. but it might be easier than using a standalone trans controller.

ill see if i can look into it more. the tuning 'strategy' for the 4.9 is the same as the 5.0 and 5.8. i might be able to look up more into the different tunes and find out more info into this. it might be easier to tune a 4.9 E4OD PCM into a 4R70W than i think
Thanks for the info... the Quick 4 is a standalone controller so I've been leaning towards a MT ECU so it will play nicely with minimal inputs. So are you saying that there is no CA specific computer?

·
Addicted to Junk
16,339 Posts
It is indeed the one in my signature. So are you saying there is no CA specific ECU?

That i have no idea about. Like i said, im not real computer savvy but i can tell my experiences.

If using a standalone controller for the trans, I think any ECU would technically work. But the manual might be the simplest.

·
Addicted to Junk
16,339 Posts
If thats a feasible route, why not find a 4.2L v6 that had a 4r70w behind it already? Though that would maybe require switching to EDIS. Not that that would be a bad thing.

Oh and im 100% certain you could still get a an F350 with 300 in 96. 97 im not as sure about.

·
Man of endless projects
9,793 Posts
im jsut going off my EVTMs but they dont show the 300 with the 97 F250HD/F350 trucks. only the 5.8 and bigger engines. F250LD using the newer engines and body style.

for 96 the EVTMs dont differentiate, its jsut called 'F-series' which covers F150 to F350. then the engine sections are labeled 'over/under GVWR'. it shows the 300 and 302 without the different GVWR options generally meaning it was not offered on F250HD/F350 because. so i assume they were not used in 96/97 F250HD/F350. i suppose they could have the 300 and still be MAF OBD-II EEC-V but the 5.8 and 7.5 (49-state) was not so i dont know why they would

Text Blue Font Line Number

PCMs have a 'Hardware Code' which identidies what it can physically do. aswell as the 'strategy' which is the base for the tune. so that kinda restricts options on what you can do. i mean you could probably use the 4.2l PCM and tune it to be similar running on a 300 but it would not be a simple Cope/Paste if they were using the same strategy/hardware and there is ALOT of settings to go through. the Strategy is not listed on the stickers but the catchcode and hardware ID are

on CoreTunings 'supported vehicles' list it shows majority 4.9 5.0 and 5.8 in 96 use the same Strategy so the tune could almost be copy and pasted from a 4.9 tune into a 5.0 PCM. on Tweecers list it actually shows Hardware IDs and many are the same but i dont have a way to identify what are the differences are. but in theory it could be done

www.coretuning.net/index.php/strategy
https://www.tweecer.com/ccode/

·
Addicted to Junk
16,339 Posts
im jsut going off my EVTMs but they dont show the 300 with the 97 F250HD/F350 trucks. only the 5.8 and bigger engines. F250LD using the newer engines and body style.

View attachment 165827

for 96 the EVTMs dont differentiate, its jsut called 'F-series' which covers F150 to F350. then the engine sections are labeled 'over/under GVWR'. it shows the 300 and 302 without the different GVWR options generally meaning it was not offered on F250HD/F350 because. so i assume they were not used in 96/97 F250HD/F350. i suppose they could have the 300 and still be MAF OBD-II EEC-V but the 5.8 and 7.5 (49-state) was not so i dont know why they would

View attachment 165826

PCMs have a 'Hardware Code' which identidies what it can physically do. aswell as the 'strategy' which is the base for the tune. so that kinda restricts options on what you can do. i mean you could probably use the 4.2l PCM and tune it to be similar running on a 300 but it would not be a simple Cope/Paste if they were using the same strategy/hardware and there is ALOT of settings to go through. the Strategy is not listed on the stickers but the catchcode and hardware ID are

on CoreTunings 'supported vehicles' list it shows majority 4.9 5.0 and 5.8 in 96 use the same Strategy so the tune could almost be copy and pasted from a 4.9 tune into a 5.0 PCM. on Tweecers list it actually shows Hardware IDs and many are the same but i dont have a way to identify what are the differences are. but in theory it could be done

www.coretuning.net/index.php/strategy
https://www.tweecer.com/ccode/
Right, never a 302 in a 350. Maybe they dropped the 300 after 96. And yeah, the 97 LD 250 was the new generation.

Most of the ECU stuff goes in one ear and out the other... I do know guys who have gone to EDIS on their 300s. But as far as the strategy the 4.2 uses vs 4.9, im lost! Lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts