Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IGNORE Hey guys. I tried searching this, but Im still kind of new to forums and I couldnt find an answer. please dont think Im a nood and/or a$$, but what model and year vehicle would be my best bet for a leaf sprung Dana 44? I dont care the bolt pattern, cause Im gonna swap eight lug on anyway. Ive read all the way through the God of leaf sprung SAS. and the other wright ups and didnt find a solid answer. Thanx for any and all help. IGNORE , already answered. thx

Transfercase is WAY loud so I drained the transfercase of its ATF and replaced It with 10-30. Its a lot quiter now, It was REALLY loud in low range. Anyone ever do this, Is it really gonna hurt my t-case. I figured yur supposed to use ATF cause of close tolerances, but from the gawdawful whine from mine I dont think there that close anymore. Its an 82, manual shift, manual hubs, auto tranny (C6?), and 9", with a 302. bought it for $200.oo running and driving.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
If your looking for a leaf spring D44 and you want a Ford axle chances are its already going to have 8 lug on it. There are 5 lug dana 44's but there very rare becuase they were only installed on F150 extended cabs which aren't very common, especially in 4 wheel drive.
Any year prior to 79 is OK, but the newer the better. Older ones are low pinion, and the older ones of those are closed nuckle and then some have drum brakes.
Best thing you can look for is like a 78 or 79 with a high pinion and open nuckles. Dont buy anything with closed nuckles. A low pinion is OK, but the high pinion is so much better if you are going to be putting a lift on it. Even if your not going to be lifting it its better anyways.
Also if you want to run a CV shaft on the front or you have a 203 T-case look for an axle that came from a truck with a 203 because it will have the proper pinion angle for the CV shaft

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
On the motor oil, I have not heard of anyone doing that, and personally I would not for the following reasons:

I just got finished rebuilding a manual shift one to replace my auto Tcase..

Issue 1) The pump assembly in there may have an issue pumping the thicker oil. This will eventually heat the internal shaft/plantetary, etc. and cause it to seize. T case would likely not be rebuildable at that point and it will leave you stranded.

2) the whole Tcase looked to me like it totally relied on the pump and splashing for lubrication, so I think viscosity of lubricant is critical. I'm not sure how well the thicker oil will be able to get up to lubricate the various bearings.

You mentioned whinging, it may be that your tcase is about to give out in any case. You really ought to pull it and rebuild before it lets go. How many miles on it? Are you aware of the internal oil pump locating arm issue?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IM still getting it to a roadworthy condition, the farthest ive driven it is 2 miles. I really dont care if it breaks, Ill just swap something else in. It sound 100% better though, so i dont think it has a problem with pumping climbing, or slinging. I was mainly concerned with comatability issues with seals and stuff. Ill just run it and keep ya posted.

BTW, for Chevy NP203, they recommend either ATF or 30w just depending on preferance.
I figured it cant be too bad. And yes, I do realize 203s dont have planetaries.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wheeled the bronco a bunch and driven it maybe 150 miles on the highway. No issues with running motor oil in tne transfer case yet, I think itll be fine.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
You could probably drain everything out of it and run it 150 miles without a problem.

I don't see why you want to run some kind of different oil in it when everything in that transfer case was designed for a different type

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MikE2 said:
You could probably drain everything out of it and run it 150 miles without a problem.

I don't see why you want to run some kind of different oil in it when everything in that transfer case was designed for a different type
Cause with GOOD ATF in it it sounds like a turbine engine spooling up.:toothless
Seariuosly is bad and this makes it quiter than my low mileage 98 GMC was.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
whine is caused by bearings going out.

best dana 44 high pinions were not the 78 79's but rather the ones from the f150 regular cabs previous to 78, they had far thicker tubes and welded on radius arm mounts. if your looking to leaf spring a d44 you can cut them off and weld on perches.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
It may have quieted it down, but be prepared to have to put a new T-case in there very soon. if the bearings were that noisy your just putting a quick band-aid on it

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
MikE2 said:
It may have quieted it down, but be prepared to have to put a new T-case in there very soon. if the bearings were that noisy your just putting a quick band-aid on it
Totally.

And yes, 150miles nothing. check back at 15k that's what I'm interested in. 150 miles can be a distance trip to a wheelin' place, that's nothing. And if it spills guts on the highway and you are screaming mad at the tow bill, be a man and own up to it to spare others. I can't imagine the oil pickup system was meant for this thick of fluid. Time will tell.:popc1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts