Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new replacement 1985 Bronco. The owner said it was a 302 that was swapped in. Sticker near my radiator says 5.8 and firing order is a 351W, 6 bolt valve and 12 bolt intake. I think this is a 351W any quick way to find out? I cant really see under the heads to look at the block height. Bye the way I still have my after market edlebrock intake, anyway to make a comparison?

·
Registered
371 Posts
The intake is wider on the 351w by 2''
302 is around 9'' and 351w 11''
You can check if you can remove the lower bolt on the thermostat housing with a socket.
You can do this on a 351 but not a 302
Marc

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Also, it could be a 5.0L HO. These were roller blocks and used the 351W firing order. Same motors used in the 5.0L Mustangs and T-Birds. This would explain why the guy said it was a 302, but, you say it has a 351W plug wire routing.

Eric

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried to measure

I've heard of the 11" thing but I get 11" width on my old 351W intake so I don't find that reliable.

This is the thermostat housing

This is a view of my thermostat looks like I can pull with a socket. The timing cover kind of gets in the way, but not really.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Overview of the motor

[/URL][/IMG]

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts
[/URL][/IMG]
Did you measure the intake? If you got 11" on your old 351W, then that method listed above should be reliable. Because a 302 intake is much shorter in width.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Look at the bottom of the heads near the top Water pump bolt on either side of the water pump. If the bottom of the head is even with the block then it is a 302. If there is an inch of block between the top of the bolt and bottom of the head then it is a 351.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This is why you have more room around the thermostat housing.
the 302 housing is ''behind'' the water pump.

·
Super Moderator
26,072 Posts
yo Jesse,
In addition to the info provided by the guys;
5.0 vs. 5.8 (EFI) Identification by Ryan M (Fireguy50)
See the pics
EXCERPTS;

EGR - They use different exhaust tubes to connect the EGR to the exhaust. The 5.0L gets exhaust from the lower intake, while the 5.8L gets exhaust from the passanger exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EGR on Passenger side

yo Jesse,
In addition to the info provided by the guys;
5.0 vs. 5.8 (EFI) Identification by Ryan M (Fireguy50)
See the pics
EXCERPTS;

EGR - They use different exhaust tubes to connect the EGR to the exhaust. The 5.0L gets exhaust from the lower intake, while the 5.8L gets exhaust from the passanger exhaust manifold.
My EGR is exactly like my old 351W on the Passengers side. Thanx!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts