Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just started my hunt for a 90-96...plan to drive on the beach..no towing..which size engine would you get ?? like big but gas !! is there a big differentce in mpg ? is one engine have a better history ?? thanks :whiteflag

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
It depends on how it is driven and how it is geared. After you go about 35" tires, you start to lose milage. There are those here whith about 35s that have big blocks that get about 14 with OD. I was getting 14mpg in 4th gear, but with 33s and 3.50 gears. Keep it below 55mph and it would do 14. There was no telling what it would be over that. Much LOWER when I stood on it.

For sand, you are going to want lower gears so you don't bog your engine too low.

SWS

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would get a 351w, but I wouldn't let a 302 stop me from getting a nice Bronco for a nice price either. Mileage difference between all engines in these trucks is negligible in my experience.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd go with a 5.8 or a 'big six'. Personal preference totally. Seemes like the 302's are a unexpected dog in these heavy pigs. At least with the straight 6, I know it's going to be a dog, just with stump pulling power and GOOD reliability. I've only done the big 6's and 351's, so I cant say much on the personals of the 302 in a full size ford truck.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
351 I never had a 6 but heard they are good with a manual (ZF series) tranny. The 351 with small factory size truck tire before i ran into tranny issues (converter) I was getting 15 MPG to and from work fill it up and I could go a month without getting gas again but at 75-80 bux a pop to fill it up kinda kills me. I have owned a 89 with the 302 plenty of power to be had just takes work to get the performance you will see from the 351.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
Always go 351 because they seem to last longer in these heavy trucks. I've noticed that there is alot of people with high mileage 351 motors and alot of people with rebuilt 302 motors, This tells me that the extra 50 c.i. is needed.... especially at the beach and offroad.

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
Obviously biased, since it's what I have, but if you want a good all around engine and decent gas mileage, I'd recommend the 4.9 six. Lots of low end torque, and with proper gearing and trans, can get 20mpg. They're also renowned for going 300k+ miles without a rebuild.

·
Registered
105 Posts
yeah unless you got a high output 351, (i believe its high output because if its carbed, its four barrel but im not sure) ive heard its rumored to get around 8 mpg... :(((

·
Registered
232 Posts
yeah unless you got a high output 351, (i believe its high output because if its carbed, its four barrel but im not sure) ive heard its rumored to get around 8 mpg... :(((
HO due to the 4 barrel. You can actually achieve 10 mpg when it's in tune and you keep out the secondaries.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I get 13 mpg in city use with my 83 F150 4x4 with a fourspeed (no overdrive), 31's, and 3.55 gears pushed by a 351w. My mom is getting 17 mpg in a 4.9 2wd F150 with an e4od. My brother is getting about 15 with a 5.0 ext cab 2wd F150. My truck is in better tune and running condition than either of theirs, but none the less, I'll keep mine for that little difference lol.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Any engine would work, but if you're in the sand sometimes its nice to have a very broad RPM range in which case the 300 would be my last choice. Just "driving on the beach" it won't matter but if you plan to play with it on some dunes I'd get a 302 or 351.

·
Registered
668 Posts
i would say to try and grab one with a 351. My 94 bronco has a 4 inch lift with 33s over 200k miles on the 351 and i average 13 mpg in the city.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What size engine

My 84 is a 5.8 H.O., I tune it every 12,000 miles with plugs and rotor. I have a Holly 4V from the factory. I get 11 MPG with 32" tires and 3:50 gears. I live in NC and the area is mostly level to mild hills. When I go surf fishing on the coast, I can tell the difference in MPG there. But go with a 351 and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've got an 84 with the 351 4v HO. I average 11.5 per tank, 80% highway (tires and everything are stock except for the exhaust). There's LOTS of power, but I rarely use it.

If I had to do it again, I'd get the straight 6 (especially the EFI years, and more so with the nice 92-96 body/interior style). More reliability, more room in engine compartment to work, a little better mileage, a unique "cool factor" and it's all the engine I'd need in a daily driver.

Here's my breakdown:
-Straight 6 is good daily driver (torque, reliability, mileage, is just right for people who don't expect nascar performance out of a 6000lb shoe-box)
-302's a decent "all around" (higher rpm power curve than the 6, more readily-available hp upgrades than the 6, a modest but fun daily driver, somewhat less mileage than the 6)
-351's a power pig. (most torque/hp, wide rpm pwer range, decent reliability, possibly the most hp power upgrades, excellent for the "weekend warrior", makes the bronco feel and drive more like a fullsize truck, but SUUUKKKSSSS the gas when your foot is heavy...)

That be my .02 cents!

·
Registered
820 Posts
the 351 doesnt put out alot more hp or torque stock than a 302 so whatever you find thats nice, another option is the 300, they last forever

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
In the end, I would let the truck itself be the deciding factor. I don't think any domestic V8 can outlast a 302. But as has mentioned because it lacks the torque in such a heavy truck some are beat because people just put their foot in it more.

Mine has a 302 and 207,000 miles and runs GREAT with plenty of power, so I'm happy with it. If I could choose I'd pick either a 302 or I6 just because I'm going to try and squeeze as many MPG's out of it as I can.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got an 85 351W carbed with the full msd set up (this is my daily driver) on 35's and when everything is perfectly timed and i stay out of the secondaries I get around 9-10 mpg.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts