Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts would be appreciated on which F100 to use as the base for a rebuilt Big Bronco, as the 85/86 had a nice front end (no wraparound lights), manual hubs and 4wd shift, but no EFI (except EB), and permitted roof removal (couldn't on the 96 with the DOT regulations) but the 96 had a better interior and electrical system (figure I'll put a new motor and transmissions in anyway). Ideally I want to buy one as a base, then either update interior to 96 or replace front end with '86 sheet metal. I want to avoid electronic 4WD (but want a good shift in 4WD, my 85 always sounded like I was grinding clutches).

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 86s were efi.... When I was growing up my dad had an 86 XLT and I'm 99% sure it was efi. It was a 302 btw.

You can get a 92-96 in a 5spd, manual t-case and manual hubs. And manual hubs are cheap and easy to switch to. You still can remove the top on the 92-96 models, its just a little bit more involved. The bolts are security torx, there is the third brake light, and the seatbelts in the rear are attached to the top. What about the 87-91 models?

Also, I wouldn't swap a 80-86 clip on a 92-96 BS rig. It will look like ass. The body lines and rockers will not be even.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Yes, beginning in 85 EFI was an option (only EB in '85).
Good to know about the manual hub replacement.
Problem - while the 92-96 top can be removed, its not USDOT legal (because of the shoulder straps, unless you built a roll cage and affixed them there or replaced the belts).
Concur on the differences in sheet metal between the 80-86 and 92-96 body- will need to replace whole body. I prefer the front and center look of the 80-86 (miss my '85), but want the benefits of the 92-96 improvements in suspension, drivetrain and interior. Basically want to drop an 86 body around a 96 frame and interior. (Yes, to paraphrase Johnny Cash - a psycho-billy Bronco). I'm not keen on the 87-91 body lines, so not considering.
Trying to figure out if this is possible and what should be the core of this little project.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Not sure how strict the fuzz is in your neck of the woods, but im willing to bet that 99.9% of the police officers are aware that removing the top isnt USDOT approved. I never leave the top on any of my broncos and have never once recieved a ticket. There was someone here who added a 3rd break light to the center of the spare tire carrier....i think thats what most cops are worried about.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
I have yet to hear of any confirmed ticket or violation being issued for not having your top on a 92-96. Now it might fail a safety inspection IF the inspector is really up on his stuff, but I doubt anyone would get pulled over for this.

Real risk would be if you do have a wreck with someone in the back seat not properly secured which results in injury or death, then you would probably get sued by the victim's insurance company.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
If your building one up, than why not get a cage for it as well for the back part. I picked up a Nice cage from Bronco grave yard and had it linexed. Pics on my link below my post if you wana see how it came out. also the soft top that hefty now sells as well by softtoppers.come.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I meant which Bronco platform from the 1978-1996 years. My understanding is the full-size Bronco was built on an F-100 frame (at least the 78-79).

·
The "Dim"olitioner....
879 Posts
Shortened F100 frame is what I've always heard, until the F100 was discontinued in early-to-mid 1983 I believe the F100 and F150 frames are the same only difference in the 100 and 150 was the 150 was created in 1975 to get around emissions regulations, doesn't matter all parts interchange anyway, you should be able to bob a Shortbed F150 to spec of a Bronco frame and go from there if that's what your asking and trying to do..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts