Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1992 bronco with a 6 inch lift and 36 inch tires on it. It has a 351w with an auto tranny. It has stock 3.50 gears and is low on power. What would be the best gears to run in it to get more power and still get good fuel mileage? Any body run this setup and what is the mpg I sould expect from it?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am going with 4.56 also. I have the lift and tires in the garage. Just waiting on gears and lockers of some type. 4.56 seems to be the most popular choice

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
4.11 or 4.56, same as far as gotta have a different carrier, but for my advice (and consider I am running 35" with 3.55) is to get a new carrier for both and go 4.56....

·
Registered
82 Posts
i have 3.73s stock in my 91nite and im only runnin 32s with the od trans and i can cruise no prob without winding out. i would deff say with your tires you shouldnt have a prob with 4.11s as far as highway.

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
I'm running 4.56's and 35's with the same tranny. It gives good power off road and I don't redline on the highway with OD. If you do more off-road than on, I might even look into 4.88's. But don't go below 4.56's, you won't notice a difference from your stock gears.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,064 Posts
4.56 gears, that's what I 'm going to run with 36's. If you're not going to be doing a lot of highway driving, like johnski said, you might want to consider the 4.88's.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just a side question, why does one need a different carrier for gears larger than say 3.73's? Do you need on for the the dana 44 and my 9"? I jsut put the 3.70's in but if were ever to upgrade, I just wanna know if I need new carriers or not? An lockers, do I need a different carrier if I put a quick spool in even now w/the gears in now?

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
yes you will, search this has been covered many times on this board. i think there is even a sticky about it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts