Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my old big red jack is about finished (go figure) and its time for a new one. im not a mechanic or anything and dont need something to go through fires and hurricanes and shit but i do appreciate durability. i also know ill pay out the ass for anything made in the us so im getting a cheap one:toothless. right now harbor freight has a heavy duty jack for $100 (80 with my %20 off coupon)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34271

they also have an aluminum "racing" jack for like 60 with a coupon.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91039

i beleive my neighbor has the same heavy duty floor jack and i used it and liked the convenience but im a little worried about the 94 lbs weight since we have a motorcycle jack and it isnt easy to get out cause of shear weight:banghead. the aluminum jack is lighter and cheaper but ive never used one and dont want it to break on me:whiteflag. which one do you think i should get? keep in mind im in college and with all my toys being broken i dont have alot of extra money right now:banghead:whiteflag. thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
that shitty orange harbor freight jack is what i've been using.. there's more play in the handle than a nice jack, and sometimes it's hard to twist-unlock it.. and sometimes it bleeds off a little (did that worse when it was newer) but it works fine..... if i were to buy another, i'd probably get the same thing again. its just a jack and it does its job fine.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
I'll never buy a china-made jack again. I've had nothing but bad experience with them. Either the seals leak, or the metal parts rust like hell and fall apart. IMO/E, you'd be better off saving up and waiting to purchase an American-made regular old-style bottle jack, either hydraulic or screw (latter is more-reliable), and a set of jack stands.

Also, f*ck china.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Have you tried fixing the jack you own? You might be better off than buying a cheap one.
I use hyd/ floor jacks when I have to, but usually I use a ratchet jack:

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the one i own has a leak, the whole thing is crooked so it teeters on 2 wheels, one of the arms that keeps the lift point straight fell off and when i retract it the pin scrapes the side of the base and i have to kick it to go down all the way.

where the hell am i going to find an amaerican made jack, even craftsman jacks look like theyre chinese now.

i just looked at some bottle jacks and they may not be the most convenient but these weight ratings are rediculous for the size. hf has one for $12 thatll have more height and double the capacity of my current jack

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
where the hell am i going to find an amaerican made jack, even craftsman jacks look like theyre chinese now.
Look harder. They ARE out there, trust me. Just break out of the typical American mindset of, "well it's not at the local box store so I guess they don't exist." Saving this nation takes effort and a different way of thinking, and while this jack may seem trivial, the search will at least have you pointed in the right direction. And don't be afraid to say "NO!" to crap products! Call the store owner or management out on it, tell them it's bullshit, and that you want a product made HERE. They'll get the message as your wallet walks out the door.

A year or three ago, I had to scour the Earth for an American-made grease gun, but I tell you, it was worth every moment. My dad found one at an industrial tool supply shop. That thing will last me the rest of my life.

If you use the Internet, you're going to be disappointed because it's filled with shitbags like these. I'd talk to some of the guys at a local machine shop or auto repair garage. They don't buy shit that doesn't work and last a long time, and they know where to find good tools.

EDIT: Alemite is the maker of my grease gun. :rockon

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im guessing westward
is a good brand
what about otc
how about norco, all theirs say made in japan
damn this shits expensive

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I have yellow and black 3 ton from HF for $60. Works great.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
so my old big red jack is about finished (go figure) and its time for a new one. im not a mechanic or anything and dont need something to go through fires and hurricanes and shit but i do appreciate durability. i also know ill pay out the ass for anything made in the us so im getting a cheap one:toothless. right now harbor freight has a heavy duty jack for $100 (80 with my %20 off coupon)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34271
i inherited the very same jack from my FIL......works okay, of course i've only had it for a year.....:thumbup

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
But more than a 3K pound jack, thats only 1.5 tons. I bought the fancy Craftsman at sears, lifted my truck and pushed her around a bit to see if it would fall, i went inside to grab a beer and send an e-mail, by the time that i came back out side, the jack had gone down, and was bent. I learned my lesson that day!

·
the Broheim
3,994 Posts
Buy the aluminum HF jack and Invest in good quality jackstands and drive on ramps!!! As long as it gets it in the air a jack is a jack, they are not meant to hold weight for extended periods of time though! Seen way to many jack failures to not stress this point :thumbup

ramps

jackstands

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buy the aluminum HF jack and Invest in good quality jackstands and drive on ramps!!! As long as it gets it in the air a jack is a jack, they are not meant to hold weight for extended periods of time though! Seen way to many jack failures to not stress this point :thumbup

ramps

jackstands
thats what i was thinking, i have some 2 ton jack stands i always use to hold up the car. im starting to wonder if maybe i was just putting too much stress on the jack. when i tried to jack up under one of the ttb arms i would have to stand on the handle. im considering the heavy duty jack and maybe getting a bottle jack for portability. i dont need drive on ramps, at least not with the bronco.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
If you want a "quality" american made jack, you're cheapest bet would be to buy a used OTC or hein-warner and I'd go ahead and have the seals replaced and you'll probably be good for another 25 years.

I have an early 70's 2.5 ton Craftsman that was made in the USA that I inherited. Still going strong, never been rebuilt.

Also have a Michelin brand 3.5 ton unit that I bought from Sam's Club probably 10 years ago. Its treated me pretty damn well for the price. I've never seen another one (new) for sale though.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you want a "quality" american made jack, you're cheapest bet would be to buy a used OTC or hein-warner and I'd go ahead and have the seals replaced and you'll probably be good for another 25 years.

I have an early 70's 2.5 ton Craftsman that was made in the USA that I inherited. Still going strong, never been rebuilt.

Also have a Michelin brand 3.5 ton unit that I bought from Sam's Club probably 10 years ago. Its treated me pretty damn well for the price. I've never seen another one (new) for sale though.
like this one:?

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1500A-Stinger-Hydraulic-Service/dp/B000JFL8K2

$140 doesnt seem too bad for a jack and some jack stands thatll last me forever.

oh yeah, what do you guys think of this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94629

i remember reading somewhere on here that harbor freight has 3 levels of build quality for their tools, orange being the lowest, blue the medium and black/red the highest. at this point im thinking of getting just a bottle jack although that wouldnt be very convienient. one thing im wondering is if the hein-warner is the same design as the harbor freight heavy duty jack. if thats the case then couldnt i just get the hf jack and if the seals ever go out get some replacement ones made for a hein-warner?

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
i have a harbor freight tranny jack, used it one time for a clutch job on a grain truck. WONT DO THAT AGAIN!! its more of a fuel tank jack now.. and i didnt know anything bout the color making a difference, the price is what concerns me now!! Ive got a used tranny jack from snapon now. cost 500 but when life or limb depends on it what do you do?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Actually you might be suprised by my response but I work at a 76 service station and use a 3 Ton Heavy Duty NAPA Jack 5 days a week 20 times per day and it kicks ass. Every two years the main ram needs the seal replaced (only been here 1 year and 6 months but the tech told me so ) but it will lift anything. I lifted the rear of a F450 with a service body full of tools 6" off the ground from the center diff no problem.

One of the techs got on craigslist and found an old Snap-On 3 ton jack and got it for like 50 bucks and just ordered a seal replacement kit and was into a Nice Snap-On professional jack for 108 bucks in the end (needed some hard parts and red enamel spray paint)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Did you get the one with the screw-type saddle like I got?
I think so, they had other 3 ton on sale when Hollie went to pick it up for me, so i think they liked her and gave her the yellow and black one instead :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts