Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering who is using Valvoline Max Life or Castrol high mileage in there broncos/trucks? Ive been using Valvoline max life in mine since I bought it (had 103k, has 124k now). Seems like a good oil, but was thinking of possibly switching to Castrol next oil change, also probably using a heavier weight like 10w40. Any advantages to castrol? Or should I just stick with the valvoline since theyre both good oils? Ive heard switching brands isnt always a good idea... but seems like it wouldnt be that big of a deal to me. Thanks in advance :thumbup

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
I use motorcraft, buy when i get a new engine i think i am going to go synthetic, havent made my mind up yet. but with the new engine there will be monthly oil changes. i aint dealing with gunk anymore

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
Synthetic is a thin oil, its reduces friction alot better than dino oil. If you have leaks I wouldn't go to Fully synthetic because it is much thinner and there is a chance you will have more leaks than before. Since my truck's rearmain seal is starting to leak im going to start using supertech, I've read on alot of forums saying it was better or equal to the rest of the dino oils. I also been using supertech oil filters since they are pretty cheap (dollar something) and better than fram. I mainly use supertech dino because I have alot of time on my hands and change my oil at every 2000 miles and the dino oil is about 96 cents per quart.

If you don't have any leaks I would go with mobil1 fully synthetic and motorcraft filters.

I noticed walmart also has a synthetic blend for 2.00 something per quart I was wondering if this would expose any more leaks/make worse being a blend? Anyone try it before?

·
Registered
107 Posts
All i use is castrol and my dad uses the synthetic and he goes for like 5k before it is time 2 change it trust me it stays golden for awhile.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So have any one of you used either of the oils listed, or is this going to turn into another synthetic debate lol.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
lol

Well i have always used castrol, when comapring it to regular dino oil and Diesel oil i have found castrol to not break down and maintain slightly higher PSI in th elong run.

Now with Syn oil it holds alot better PSI when warm in all my case then dino oil. Also holds better PSI in long run. But if your seals are caked or drying out it will leak without a doubt

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My rear main is leaking and i have a bit of a pan leak, so id figured id stay with dino. Maybe once i rebuild it i might try out synthetic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use the castrol high mileage, my truck has been using a little less oil and is a little quieter now I have never used valvoline so I couldn't compare.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Ive switched to SuperTech oil and filter, a compleate change (6 qts & filter) is less than $9.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I use Valvoline Max Life synth. blend and haven't had any problems with it when I first got the BKO it used about a quart every 3000 miles and since switching it doesn't use any. I have used both Castrol and Valvoline and have had no problems with either, I just prefer the Valvoline for some reason.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
I use 5 qaurts of Mobile1 synthetic with 1 qaurt of Lucas Oil Stabilizer and a K&N filter.

I dont know I would do a 9 dollar oil change on my lawn mower....

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I've been using Mobil 5000. $1.78 a quart at wallyworld

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use Royal Purple and Amsoil Filter in both my Bronco and the wifes PT Cruiser. I noticed a difference about 2 for the PT in MPG's. I go about 3 months no matter what the milage. But that's me.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
Need4racin said:
Synthetic is a thin oil, its reduces friction alot better than dino oil. If you have leaks I wouldn't go to Fully synthetic because it is much thinner and there is a chance you will have more leaks than before. Since my truck's rearmain seal is starting to leak im going to start using supertech, I've read on alot of forums saying it was better or equal to the rest of the dino oils. I also been using supertech oil filters since they are pretty cheap (dollar something) and better than fram. I mainly use supertech dino because I have alot of time on my hands and change my oil at every 2000 miles and the dino oil is about 96 cents per quart.
this is exactly what i do. i use the supertech, i'd love to use synthetic for my truck, (only the best for my baby), but, it is too expensive for me, and yes, i know you can go longer between changes, but i can't leave it in there for 4-5k, i just cant do it.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Mr. Death said:
I was wondering who is using Valvoline Max Life or Castrol high mileage in there broncos/trucks? Ive been using Valvoline max life in mine since I bought it (had 103k, has 124k now). Seems like a good oil, but was thinking of possibly switching to Castrol next oil change, also probably using a heavier weight like 10w40. Any advantages to castrol? Or should I just stick with the valvoline since theyre both good oils? Ive heard switching brands isnt always a good idea... but seems like it wouldnt be that big of a deal to me. Thanks in advance :thumbup
I've run both but not in my Bronco, in a Chebbie K10 with a 3fiddie. I always ran 10w40. I didn't really notice a difference.

...on a side bar to all the other oil changing banter, I change the oil in my Bronco twice a year. Once in October and once in April. I only put about 7K on it in the past 3 years. As to oil and filters, I run Mobile 1 and a K&N filter. I only run the K&N because it has a 1" lug on the tip which makes for easy installation and removal.

...I actually end up changing my gear oil more often then that due to life's little trail happenings.:toothless

...but of course my Stupid Duty gets nu lube every 3500 - 4K and a total change every 25K. It's 175 bucks well spent.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts