Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which one would you guys go for?

A 1990 Bronco with 180,000miles. Custom paint job-black down into red; 33in Thornbird tires with custom black wheels; V8 and manual tranny for $2800

or

A 1991 Bronco with 140,000 all black paint. 5.0L V8; Brush guard up front, automatic for $2300

from the pictures I have, both look good and no rust that I can see, I'm gonna check the '91 tonight and the '90 tommorow. I looked at about 10 today and only one was worthy, but it was a '91 for $3899

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
the 91 if your gunna wheel it. what tranny?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just got back from the '91, driver side fender has rust all the way through, so that one is out. The other '91 I saw early was good except for the rust in the tailgate, which can easily be repaired or replaced. So if the '90 falls through, I will most likely keep looking. The good '91 price is $3895, which is right on the edge of my spending limit. The '90 sounds prety good, and hopefully no rust on it. I'll just need to learn to drive a stick, which I have always wanted to anyway.

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
manual trannies are lots of fun, just dont know how much i would like one if you were doing trails and rocks and mud

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You didn't say what motor is in the 90?

At this age it's all about condition vs price and any particulars you are looking for like motor size, trans type etc.

I would look for manual transfercase, hubs are cheap to swap out oh and a 5.8 since they all consume about the same amount.

Good luck

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the '90 is a V8, not sure if it is the 5.0 or 5.8. The '91 is all stock, no extras, and they are $3895 firm, also, I did a carfax on the '91 and it was in one accident with another vehicle, so when/if I go back, I have to check everything twice.

I do eventually wanna go Wheelin', so the manual did concern me about that, but if the body is in good shape and it runs good, it will be a hard one to turn down with the custom paint and already havin 33"s. I don't know yet, we'll see.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

that is the '90 I'm gonna look at

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's a nice looking ride! like that paint job-but a stick out on the trail? just a matter of preference though.:drinkbud

b

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thats a perty wun on the outside

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,979 Posts
No 351 five speeds in the Bronco's or F150s. A 302 M5OD-R2 combo is a REAL fun truck. I love the 92 so much more than the 88 with everything else being equal.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there any serious disadvantage from the 302 to the 352? it is a PITA to find a 352 in decent condition, most of those have rust in the rear fender and I have no bodywork experiance or welding exp. Once I get the '90 checked out, I think that is what I will get.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You just opened a can of worms with that question.

302 does me just fine. Tows my 21 foot ski boat with no problem.

Standard tranny...had that in an old '85 I had...I was glad to get rid of that one.

Good luck.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
If you don't know how to drive a stick, buy the auto. Unless of course you like to replace clutches.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This guy has been real shady about the car and not telling me much straight info on it. So, I am beginning to want save some dough and buying a different Bronc, plus 180K is a decent amount of miles. Maybe I will get the '91 and buy a new tailgate, only 134Kmiles and $3895, might be able to talk the dealership down in price. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it worth a 2hour drive to find a good Bronco?

this '86 5.8L V8 4BBL HO OHV Auto is what I found when I expanded my search. From the picture, it looks solid and is going for $2495 with only 93,000miles. One original owner, looks like everything is still stock too. Is this too good to be true?? Also, from the carfax report, this thing is clean as whistle and also reported only one owner

·
Banned
443 Posts
just go look at it....if there is little to no rust..and the transmission type you want....

but, stay away from the rust....

a new tailgate is really no big deal...if you have other body rust you got major repair cost , unless this is just going to be for mudding in, then it doesn't matter......

that 86 for 2450.oo looks pretty clean...from the photo ...the fenders look good....you better look at that one.....you can always replace...carpet, seats, tailget....things like that

you can also run the vin # thru the ford sight to find out what is/was in it when released from the factory....ei...original equipment......

good luck.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts