Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm gonna slap a Quadrajet on my 460 until I have the funds to do the EFI swap. The Edelbrock Performer I'm running now sucks (offroad). Are there any particular models to look for best suited to this application? Any input or guidance is appreciated. While they are easy to find, I want to pick up whatever will work best (after a rebuild).

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oldyeller said:
Hey Jah, check out Summit racing, they've got Rebuilt Qjets in three different stages for any application, Let's see if I can find the link: Here you go, I think the Stage 3 is probably what you're looking for. Scroll down to find it.
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=Quadrajet&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp&x=40&y=6
Thanks for the link, but not looking to spend that much $$ on it, as it will only be temporary. Just gonna hit the boneyards and pick one up and rebuild it. Should be able to have it on the truck and running right for $50 or less.

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
Yeah they are cheap to rebuild yourself, I misunderstood what you were asking for, when you put it on make sure to mount it backwards, seems to be the only way to go these days. Far as I know they're all pretty much the same, maybe Ox knows if there were different models, but I only know of the one design. Got mine from a friend.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oldyeller said:
Yeah they are cheap to rebuild yourself, I misunderstood what you were asking for, when you put it on make sure to mount it backwards, seems to be the only way to go these days. Far as I know they're all pretty much the same, maybe Ox knows if there were different models, but I only know of the one design. Got mine from a friend.
Yeah thats the plan, just have to figure out how to work the throttle cable on that setup. There are several different part #'s for the different Q-Jets out there, and some came on small blocks, some on big blocks, etc etc. This is an area where I am relying on the good word of the community, as the only Q-Jet I ever worked with was on my 86 Camaro, and I really never messed with it much (although I did eventually change it out for an Edelbrock). Just want to gather as much info as possible and pick the right carb the first time (err, second if you count the Edelbrock thats coming off). :beer

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
I would stay away from the 80's models as they started to get like Ford carbs and tried to be elctronically controlled. You can also pick them up on Ebay cheap. The biggest one out there is a 850 but was on the Hi-po motors. It doesn't matter what CFM you get as it will only pull as much gas as you motor needs.

Just find a good core and rebuild it. Make sure there aren't any leaks around the throttle shaft bores. The secondaries are adjustable so if it bogs they can be onpened later or maybe the metering rods need to be adjusted. Use a vaccum gauge when setting it up to get the best setup

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I would have no benefit with a 750 CFM over say a 600? I don't quite understand ya on this one.. I wouldnt really worry about getting the fuel, but what about enough air intake?

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No matter, just grabbed this on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8025843091

Either 750 or 800 cfm, not sure, but either will work just fine, and it was tuned for a 472, so should work fairly well outta the box on my 460 (at least one would think). Being a Q-Jet, I'm sure it will need some fine tuning.

Thanks for the replies! :beer

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd look for a Qjet off of an early 80s truck 454. Should require minimal tuning after the rebuild since the engines are of similar displacement, and you'll get the electric choke. 1 wire hookup. BTW, you'll need a spreadbore to squarebore adapter for the qjet to fit your manifold.

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
Nice score Jah, it's already been rebuilt, and you got it for 90 bux? I wouldn't think the 472 tuning would even be noticeable on the 460, mine was tuned for a 350 and I run it on my 304 (built 304 of course) But if you need, I know a guy out here, search him on the net, his name is Bob Ream, he is a family friend, works at B&R automotive in Phoenix, but he could tell you what changes, if any, to make in adjusting that carb. Let me know,
Old Yeller

EDIT: If you don't find him on the web right away, bob is a master mechanic and he invented this: http://www.imagineinjection.com/
He's not a back alley expert, this guy knows his shit, and he's a family friend. I'm sure you know what you're doing, but if you hit a problem, this is my go to guy. Good luck

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info OldYeller :beer Don't all of the 80+ Q-Jets use an ECM to control Fuel/Air mixture though? Thats why I looked for an older one. Plus, I think there are kits to convert them to electric choke.

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
JahWarrior said:
Thanks for the info OldYeller :beer Don't all of the 80+ Q-Jets use an ECM to control Fuel/Air mixture though? Thats why I looked for an older one. Plus, I think there are kits to convert them to electric choke.
That was my understanding, here's what I found on it:

Quote from this website:http://www.garage-pak.com/pat-goss-corvette-corner/july-2001-corvette-corner.html

The Quote " own a 1981 Corvette. I’d like your opinion on modifications to the drive train. One basic piece of knowledge I lack is the impact of the Engine Control Module. If this were a 1980, I would have far fewer questions. I would just go with a good carburetor. As I’m sure you know, the 1981s were the first year with an ECM and the only year with the “electronic quadrajet”.
End Quote

I also found this site: http://members.optushome.com.au/ozfbody/info/q_jet/Carb_overview.html

That's all I've got for now,
It's 11 o clock, what more could you ask for.

Old Yeller

EDIT: I think the second link helps more with ECM carb identification

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
JahWarrior said:
So I would have no benefit with a 750 CFM over say a 600? I don't quite understand ya on this one.. I wouldnt really worry about getting the fuel, but what about enough air intake?
I was meaning more for people with smaller motors. I can't remem the formula to determine the exact requirements for your motor. But with a vaccum secondary carb and set up properly the motor wil only pull as much fuel as needed.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
85f150 said:
I was meaning more for people with smaller motors. I can't remem the formula to determine the exact requirements for your motor. But with a vaccum secondary carb and set up properly the motor wil only pull as much fuel as needed.
I did the formula last night (can't remember what it was, found it on a site), and it came to almost 800cfm. Obviously this only effects WOT, which I rarely use, but this one I ordered is either 750 or 800, so should be fine. Will know once it gets here :beer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts