Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the rear end in my '87 Eddie Bauer 302/aod. It has the rear anti-lock brakes, will this present a problem when I hit the boneyards?
I have been told that any rear end from a full size f-150 or other bronco is a direct bolt in. What options do I have? This Bronco is 90% street driven so that's my main concern. I notice that there is a sensor in the top of the current differential, I'm assuming that this is for the ABS. If I don't have that on the new rear will it cause driveability problems?
Greg

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
You have an 8.8, any 8.8 from the late 80s-96 from any F150 or Bronco will bolt right in, the ABS sensor will connect, and you'll be good to go.

What's wrong with your current one?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Front and rear pinion bearing went bad and the p.o. drove it that way for about a year, destroyed the ring and pinion, carrier bearings, and messed up the housing. Much cheaper to replace the whole thing.
Thanks for the replies.
Greg

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
87-96 f 150 and Bronco will have the 8.8, direct swap.

all 8.8's have the ABS/ VSS sensor your describing, so that wont be a problem

·
Registered
382 Posts
That sucks about your diff. Just a little gee-whiz when you're scouring the salvage yards for a suitable replacement--look for an H in the first digit of the axle column of the door tag. The letter says that it has a traction-loc rear diff. Mine says H9, which means that it came with 3.55s and a t-loc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts