Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I searched, but couldn't find anything helpful.

What size winch are you running? are you happy with it? Does it seem to have enough power? Do you wish you had purchased a bigger one? I'm looking into outfitting my Bronco with one, I just don't have money to buy more than I need. Would a 8,000 pounder do it? I'd sure buy a snatch block with it. Thanks

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
I think the rule of thumb is 1.5x the weight of your truck. So you could prob get away with an 8k, but if you get into some real bad stucks, I would go with at least a 9k or 9.5k.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I'm running a Warn XD9000i on my 78 and it works great. (I was stuck on a rock going uphill, the winch pulled the rear tires off the ground about 3 feet!!)
Slim

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
whats the most you could afford? the MM12K was $599 last year. more pulling power than anything in that price range no matter the debate on how good it is or what features it has or hasnt got. i would say thats the deal for raw pulling power, but if you want other features & less power you will be paying more. i think warns 8K is more than $599. you could save a little longer maybe?

·
Registered
918 Posts
I just ordered my milemarker 12K.It comes in tomorrow.As for the harbor freight winch,you get what you pay for.If i was in your position,i would buy a MM winch.There is a MM 12k on ebay right now for 599 shipped and out the door

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
I've got a MileMarker 9k hydraulic, overall I'm very pleased with it performance, strength and reliability. Four years of heavy use without any hint of problems or failure. It does everything I want it to and more...........money well spent.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Lonestar_Bronco said:
Actually (don't shoot me for saying this) I was thinking about this

8,000 pound winch
I've seen a few pics of your rig wheeling. Do yourself a favor and don't buy that winch. You will be happy you didn't. Don't be afraid of buying a used winch. Especially if you get it for the right price. If you have the $$ right now go with a MM. But if you have to have a winch right now,and the harbor Freight is all the budget will allow,than any winch is better than no winch..at least until it breaks.

Steve

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
the line can hold 8k lbs, but can a 1.8hp motor pull 8k lbs? not for very long. save your money for a MM or Warn.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
I have a warn 12K and love it other then I killed my batteries and the think pulls like 900 amps under full load.,

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
I've looked at that winch also. If you have a mostly stock truck it may do as long as you don't do any long pulls. I have a smaller winch and hate it. It never seems to work for me. When I get stuck I'm really stuck and need real power. I'm going with the milemarker hydraulic. It can run as long as you want with no load on the battery as long as the engine is running. The main problem with cheaper electrics is heat. Watch the heat build up and you might be ok.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am running the Warn HS9500 winch not any problems and it is the fastest winch you can get other than the Warn 8274

·
College User
2,018 Posts
I got the MM E12K is good but if the angle is wrong I have stalled it a bunch andBith times I had to use it for myself it did NOT get me out. But then again when got stuck it was bad. This was in my 91 approx 7000lbs...

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
wow. i wonder what the best way to feed an electric winch? dual batteries? triple batteries? convert it to 24v? i wonder what i would have to get for a p/s pump to run hydro assist and a hydraulic winch? will a beefed up saginaw work? i bet i would need a reservoir for extra fluid capacity.

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
The milemarker hydraulic doesn't need anything special. Just put it on your existing pump and go. It comes with everything you need. As for electric, 24v is the best.

·
College User
2,018 Posts
You can run an electric fine with the truck off and still start up. I dont have a red top or anything special either. And the winch is not going to be used a ton, and if you have an electric keep the engine running if possibe.

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
axaviere said:
I wonder what I would have to get for a p/s pump to run hydro assist and a hydraulic winch? will a beefed up saginaw work? i bet i would need a reservoir for extra fluid capacity.
That probably wouldn't be a half bad idea. A filter and cooler would probably be good ideas as well.

·
no ford trucks
721 Posts
you could buy my winch bumper and rep8000 ramsey for 78-79 Bronco for 750.00 and have a real good set up.

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I've already got a custom bumper. Also, I plan to utilize a "multi-mount" style system. That way, I can wire up the rear, build a good receiver hitch bumper, and use it either place. Thats the plan, anyway.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts