Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a defrost grid? I slid/rolled down a hill yesterday and now need to replace my tailgate/rear window. I know t/gs from later Broncos will work, and a guy in my club offered my one from an 86. Does anyone know if this will have the defroster? I was thinking that it might depend on the trim/options installed? Also, can you tint those windows with a defroster? Thanks

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
I've had tinted rear windows in several daily drivers with rear defrost. No problems. The tint shop told me it actually allows the defrost to work better 'cause it kinda insulates it, I have no idea if that's true.

As for bubbling, I wonder if maybe it was a poor job and there were already air bubbles which then expanded when heated in an otherwise cold environment.

Bottom line, don't worry about it. My '90 has rear defrost and it's tinted, but I dont' think the rear defrost has worked as long as I've owned the truck

·
user title
2,211 Posts
If you have high quality tint you will have no problems. Lumar (or Llumar) is probably the best tint out there.

I have a buddy who is the best tint man I have ever seen...he is in KY so if you are in the area...

:beer
Bill

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
my opinion is that tinting the back glass would protect the heater lines better, from the tailgate felt

·
Banned
38,426 Posts
The problem with tinting ANY heated window is that the tint is trimmed ON the glass, so the tint guy runs the knife all around the edge of the glass. If he nicks the heating grid, he can create a hot spot that often shatters the window. As long as he's REALLY careful, it can be done, but most tint shops don't want to take the risk so they just say they can't be tinted.

You can buy a heated glass and have it installed in your t/g, and then just add the wiring to make it work. It's really a simple circuit, with the battery feeding the dash switch which passes 12V to the glass and then to ground.

You can pull almost any Ford defrost switch from the junkyard and use it - most have the same connector, and they all work the same way. I have a bunch in my junkpile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts