Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've done a lot of searching online, and I hear lots of people reccomending the MT/R tires. But I was doing some comparisons on TireRack and the Firestone Destination MT seems to rank a little higher, and costs a little less. (even though THE GY MT/R IS ON SPECIAL)

So I searched the forum for any mention of the Destination MT, and nobody seems to have heard of it.

Can anybody give me some input on these tires? The Firestone info is here and The GoodYear info is here

Thanks everyone.

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
what size you looking at getting and what is your plan for use.

i recommend BFG at's or muds

they have greta tread for an at that grides real well on the street

the muds are also really good on road and off. the prce is alos alot better than thoso goodyears

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Good year MTR's are the best ire for the money IMHO.
Ask Keith_L how he feels about anything BFG.
He has seen so many fail it is not even funny.

I used to like BFG's until he told me about some of the shit his friends have been through.

I have had many friends use the MTR's and not a single one has ever prematurely failed.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I expect this Bronco to get most of its miles on the road, but it is not my daily driver. I want it to be safe on the road, but I am willing to take it easy, and don't need it to handle like a sports car. (already have a Mustang)

There's not too much sand to worry about here in Maryland, but I do expect to find plenty of reasons to drive in mud and snow. I'm also a little concerned about how it is going to do on asphault in the rain.

Still, I wish I knew more about those Firestones...

·
Registered
98 Posts
My shop is right across the street from a firestone and I was checkin them out. They seem like they are made of really soft rubber. They are basicly bfg mt knock offs, except there lugs are almost 90* and they dont have stagerd lugs. I was considering trying them out but, desided against it. They had a sale buy 2 get 2 free ended up being like 400 installed with road hazard.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay guys, I've definitely decided to go with the MT/Rs. Now to decide on the size...

My bronco is stock, and I expect it to stay close to stock for a while.

The tire that came on it was 31X10.5 R15

Tire Rack says that the bronco should have a stock tire size of 235/75QR15

Now, I don't know very well how to convert between standard tire sizes to metric, so I really can't tell how these two sizes compare.

All I know is the 235/75QR15 costs $119 on "special", while the 31X10.50R15 costs $132 and does not say "special"

I mean I would assume that the 31X10.5 is bigger, but if it only costs $132, then what makes the $119 price of the (presumably smaller) 235/75 so "special"?

My head is about to pop!

In any case, thanks again for all of your help.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
31 is bigger. 235s were the stock tire, 31x10.50 were optional.

is the 235 P or LT. if its P thats the difference. P tires aren't as durable (P= passenger, T= Truck). something to do with more plies or something like that. i'm too lazy to find the exact info.

you can run up to 33x12.5s just fine.
265/75 are about what a 31x10.5 is
285/75 are about what a 33x10.5 is
305/75 are about what a 33x12.5 is

·
Registered
748 Posts
Tunedup said:
My shop is right across the street from a firestone and I was checkin them out. They seem like they are made of really soft rubber. They are basicly bfg mt knock offs, except there lugs are almost 90* and they dont have stagerd lugs. I was considering trying them out but, desided against it. They had a sale buy 2 get 2 free ended up being like 400 installed with road hazard.

The Firestone Destinations are based off of the Bridgestone Dueler, and there is also another tire with the same type of tread compound and that is Dayton which I think those are called Timberlines vs. Destination and Dueler. The B'stones are more expensive because they have more treadware tech in them than the other two brand names. There was a guy on MBB last year that got a set of the Dayton Timberlines (basically the same tire), however, I do not recall what that persons screen name was so I do not know how well those tires are doing for that person. The Goodyear MTRs are also of a soft compound and only expected to make 30K - 40K miles. The review I read of the person getting them to 40K miles I heard was a real stretch. I would look at how much on-roading vs. off-roading you do along with how many miles you drive before you put down the money for those MTRs which are quite expensive. The BFG's are suppose to last 50K - 60K miles for the A/Ts and M/Ts, and the B'Stones are suppose to last in the 50K mile range I hear. One of the big problems on Tire Rack is that they do not regulate how many miles a person can log on a set of tires before they can write a review for one. You get some of these folks that make these reviews that praise the tire, but yet only have less than 5,000 miles on that set of tires. I've seen some reviews that were written by the person and they only had 200 - 1,000 miles on the set of tires. In no way is that enough time to figure out all the characteristics a tire has. As far as horror stories go, I've heard a lot about Goodyear also...enough to know they're not the only tire on the planet.

·
Repo'd
1,570 Posts
Andy351 said:
every person i know who has MTRs will never run another tire again.
This goes for me to.
I had BFG's and put a little tree limb through the sidewall,
Can't remember the post but a while back someone posted
a BFG just seperating in their driveway.
As for the Firestones, they were overshadowed by the
MTR's if they just came out.

I run MTR's and prefur them over any other.
Quiet on the street, aggressive on the trail, and
a lot better than you woulk thing in the mud where
I spend most my time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts