Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1984 FORD BRONCO XLT 351 W HO
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have opened up a real can of worms this time? my bronco started stalling and idling poorly and stalling. 84 with a 351w 4bbl holly 4180 c the carb has been leaking from numerous places and is a 2006 re-man. replaced fuel pump, fuel line, fuel filter , spark plugs they were pretty rough, plug wires, dist cap and rotor, ignition coil, ignition module. checked for vacuum leaks and rebuilt carb. ran better for a half day then no idling and stalling again sooooo, the air /fuel adjust screws had little affect, and before tearing down the carb primary air/feul screw was almost bottomed out in base of carb the other one was about 2 turns out. so i have a new summit 600 cfm 4bbl with vacuum secondaries and it does have the ford trans kick down. what did i get my self into??? i do believe the old carb is shot, my question is this as the egr valve has been gone for a long time, a delete plate was installed and that vacuum line plugged, with no known issues should i mount the new carb ontop of the thick metal spacer that the egr connected to or do i remove that spacer plate as well? thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
661 Posts
Anytime you have a carb spacer it is usually a good practice to retain said spacer. Carb spacers keep the carb higher in the engine compartment, reducing heat to carb. Less chance of boiling fuel or vapor locking. Unless the spacer causes interference issues with the hood, keep it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anytime you have a carb spacer it is usually a good practice to retain said spacer. Carb spacers keep the carb higher in the engine compartment, reducing heat to carb. Less chance of boiling fuel or vapor locking. Unless the spacer causes interference issues with the hood, keep it.
thanks, any one know what the2 hoses are for that hook up to that spacer? thanks again

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do the hoses attach to? Do you have a pic or two?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
i just installed a new summit 600cfm 4bbl vacuum secondaries today, had to remove that egr spacer completely as it would not allow enough clearance for the back of the carb to sit flush on the spacer.so i used a edelbrock square 1.25 in tall spacer in its place, fit good. one of the hoses went from the egr plate to the pvc on the valve cover, so i ran that hose to the pvc port on the carb the other hose was buried under a lot of crap but seemed to go to a vac tee, so i plugged the other one for now. running better but still bad on idle gonna double check my plug wires and firing order to make sure its rite.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
If you have power brakes they usually plug in there too. Should be a 3/8" hose IIRC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have power brakes they usually plug in there too. Should be a 3/8" hose IIRC.

tracked down vacuum hose from power break booster and that connects directly to a port on the intake

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so new carb installed cant find any vacuum leaks, electric choke adjusted and working good , at fast idle around 1000-1100 rpms smooth above that very good pulls strong sounds healthy. as soon as i kick down to curb idle dies out fast under 900rpms? wont run on its own? any thoughts? thanks for listening .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
finally got the gremlins worked out of the bronco, and its running great! found the vacuum leak and got the new summit 4bbl dialed in nicely. the truck never ran this good even from the day i got it.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
1,080 Posts
great, you just went ahead and did it. well done Sir!!

Where was the leak? Usually you shall have another vac line to the transmission, in case its automatic....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The leak was a vacuum line that popped off A vac tee that was buried underneath a load of other crap, but it’s happy now lol

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
1,080 Posts
very good!
searching pays out.
Well done fella!!!

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
198 Posts
The leak was a vacuum line that popped off A vac tee that was buried underneath a load of other crap, but it’s happy now lol
It's amazing how much one small vacuum hose leak can affect an engine's drivability.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts