Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a welder and wanted some input from the welders out there on a good model to get that will be a good first one. I've welded a little before, so it's not really my 'first one' but...

Doing graphic arts and signs, I've ALWAYS wanted a plasma cutter for doing sheet metal stuff, but I think I need to start small (unless they have one that does them both) muwahahaha...

I can slap this against google all day long, but I'd rather hear it from some fellow Bronco owners...yanno...

Mainly to be used on the Bronco and odds and ends...but I don't want something that I'll out grow TOO quickly...

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
If your on a budget go with the Craftsman welder. Works great for me.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
One- this topic has been discussed a million times...search noob:whip.

But having said that, I'm assuming that you're talking MIG. Don't even consider a 110V welder. The smallest 220V welder spanks the crap out of the biggest 110V one. You would probably be happy with any of the 175 amp class machines from Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart. As for myself, I bought a used 200 amp Lincoln MIG, mostly for the increased duty cycle over a 175 amp machine, and I've been very pleased with it. Yesterday I finally just finished off the 44 pound spool of wire that was in it when I bought the machine. Quality wise, I've always been of the opinion that Miller and Lincoln were pretty much the top of the heap, with Hobart being in a close second place.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
What type of welder? MIG or stick? For an unbeatable value in a stick welder, Miller's Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC cant be beat. I like the older models a bit more than the newer stuff. <better windings and less plastic > You can find them at pawn shops for a decent price. Also, Craigslist has them pop up from time to time.
As for MIG, again, Im partial to Miller. < Im sure Lincoln etc is just as good> For 1/4" material and less, on non structural weldments, you can get by with a 110 volt unit. If you're wanting to fab anything heavier, spend the extra cash and get a 220v class machine. Its more money but, you wont outgrow it either.
As far as a plasma, Ive got a Hypertherm 600. It'll cut up to 5/8" like butter but, its MONEY. A used oxy/acetylene setup will cost less than half and cut just as well if you practice.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I got used a lincoln arc welder for $50. It's a 220 volt and goes past 150 amps. I've never had issues with it and I've successfully welded two differentials (neither have failed).

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
There is alot of discussions on this subject, search to find many more reccomendations/experiences...

As for me, I have 2 Hobart 187's, hooked-up on gas, one at my shop and one at home. I haven't found the need to weld anything the 187 couldn't handle. However, the one at the shop gets to see more metal and every once in awhile I have to shut it down after welding for 25-35 minutes to let it cool down (not a problem though). I've had these welders for over a year and couldn't be happier. Even makes me wonder why I had a 110 welder prior to the 220's.

Now, the part that drives my buddies crazy, I found and bought both welders, two regulators, two used guns, and two new guns, at a garage sale for $150.00 (for everything). Thinking they might be stolen for that price, I asked the seller why he was selling them so cheap. He then showed me his shop where he had his brand-new 440 welder wired up. He said he was just cleaning up around the place...

If you find a good deal on the welder, then you'll have enough money for this bad boy, Parker Plasma-Tec50dv ($559.00). I bought the parker based on some threads at FSB. I have never had this much fun fabricating. The Parker is flat out bad assss. I can't directly speak of longevity, but the last four months that I've owned mine has been a blast, without a single problem (other than catching a few things on fire from the blow-off). Furthermore, it cuts through 3/4" like butter and severs 1" like butter.

That's my experience, hope it helps.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm currently looking at welders and such as well. I'm considering going with a Henrob, which is a gas torch that can be used to weld and cut much like a TIG and a plasma cutter. I'm on a budget as well, so I feel your pain. This might be an option for you.

Check it out here: Henrob 2000

·
yes
1,769 Posts
:stupid

Millermatic all the way. I have both the 180 Mig and the Syncrowave 180 Tig.

I would never buy anything else.
I take it you like that thing? I'm thinking about buying the 180...Any info that i might be interested in knowing before i buy it?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I take it you like that thing? I'm thinking about buying the 180...Any info that i might be interested in knowing before i buy it?
It has served me well for over 10 years. I've never had a problem with it, and it has done everything that I've ever needed to do.

I got the cart when I ordered mine. It's nice to be able to wheel it any where around the shop, but it's not too heavy in case you need to carry it any place.

I also ordered a bunch of spare tips and nozzles at the same time and a 30lb spool of .030 wire.

There is a place in New England that I found online that is very good to do business with. They had really good prices, and as you'll see they (as well as many others) will drop ship for free and save you the tax too.

If I can find out the name of the place I bought both of mine, I'll post it here.

One more thing: My friend works for an electrical supply house and he got me about 50' of 6/3 wire and a couple of 50 amp plugs. I can plug this thing in and reach every where in the shop and even outside if I have to.

·
Official FSB beer drinker
1,534 Posts
I like having options so I took into acount what welders my buddies had nearby. One has a 220V miller mig, one has a all in one therm-arc and another had a 110 lincoln. Knowing all that, I just barrow which ever I need to get the job done.

·
Puts it were it doesnt go
640 Posts
i got a lincon 125amp 110v and it does me just fine. if you know the right processes then you dont need massive amounts of amps. i can weld anything on the truck with my little machine and all it does is take a little more time than with fancy machines. granted one day i will upgrade to a 220v but its not in the budget

·
Cleaning the trails
935 Posts
I have a Millermatic 175 220v. I think they are now a 180. Made a cord to plug into the electric dryer receptacle. Welds anything I need to. If welding anything more than that would want a welder better than myself to do for the security factory.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.