Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the original E4OD in the Bronco is on its very last legs. I am getting ready to swap the original with an E4OD from a 94 F150 (only has 40k on it). My plan is to replace the front pump seal while the transmission is out and completely drain the tranny and TC and replace with good transmission fluid.

My question is:

Is there anything else anyone would recommend be done (seals, etc) while making this swap??

Also, as mentioned, the tranmission was from an F150. I understand that the may be an issue with the flange. Can anyone verify what I need to do to insure I have the proper parts for the swap?

Sorry for the noob type questions but this will be the first time I have done any of this type of transmission work....

Thanks guys and gals...

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Shift kit?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Would be a great time to put a bassani y-pipe in since you'll have to yank the y-pipe out anyway.:toothless

New O2 sensor maybe.:shrug It's a lot easier with the y-pipe laying on the ground.

When I changed my E4OD I had the T-case rebuilt well I had it out just for piece of mind.

Also, definetly do the rear main like need4racin said.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
New torque converter and stator shaft seal.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hows your rear main seal doing?
I was thinking of replacing the rear main seal. I dont think its leaking but its one of the "take advantage of it while you can" types of things. I just added it to the list... thanks.

What's the story with the donor? At only 40k was it in a wreck?
A guy had the F150 and a tree fell on it and crushed it. He took the tranny out and put it in his workshop for a project he was going to do and never got around to it. Says he has had it for quite a while and needed the cash. I can not verify the 40k, but he seemed legit. Bonus was that hes a tech at a local Ford Dealership and seemed to know his stuff... had an EB project that was pretty sweet sittin in his workshop.

Shift kit?
Thought about that but think I am gonna hold off on the shift kit for now. The plan is to run this trans for a while while I rebuild the unit thats currently in the truck. I will probly put a shift kit in that one.

Would be a great time to put a bassani y-pipe in since you'll have to yank the y-pipe out anyway.:toothless

New O2 sensor maybe.:shrug It's a lot easier with the y-pipe laying on the ground.

When I changed my E4OD I had the T-case rebuilt well I had it out just for piece of mind.

Would love to but dont have the cash for exhaust work right now. Gonna have to focus on whats needed for the transmission at this point. Good suggestions otherwise! (rear main is a go though).

New torque converter and stator shaft seal.
Sig, you think it needs a new TC? I was thinking about that to but the guy I bought it from said it was in great shape out of the truck with only 40k and that the TC in the trans would be just fine. I would rather try and avoid the additional cost but if its really needed, I will do it.

Stator shaft seal... done.

·
Super Moderator
29,084 Posts

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts

you do not in any way have to remove any of the exhuast when removing the trans and transfer case, ive taken the tranny out of both my f150s and my bronco without touching the exhuast, sure it makes getting to the top two pass bolts on the t-case alot harder but its not worht all the extra work and chance of breakin exhuast manifold studs

good suggestion on the t-case rebuild though i did mine while it was out too,

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Remember Ford changed the MLPS (both connector and pinout) between 94 and 95. Highly reccomend you get a new one.

·
Registered
577 Posts
you do not in any way have to remove any of the exhuast when removing the trans and transfer case, ive taken the tranny out of both my f150s and my bronco without touching the exhuast, sure it makes getting to the top two pass bolts on the t-case alot harder but its not worht all the extra work and chance of breakin exhuast manifold studs
I debated that when I did mine but it looked a lot easier if I did remove it. It wasn't THAT much extra work.

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
I'd put a new oil pan gasket on it and a rear main seal.

Its a Ford, its only time before they'll start to leak.

I'd probably throw a torque convertor on it for good measure, it will probably be a while before the transmission is out again.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All right... thanks so far guys. Before responding my list is:

Front Pump Seal
Rear Main Seal
Stator Shaft Seal
New Internal Filter and Pan Gasket
New Fluid

Now -

Also, be sure to flush out your cooler lines. I used a can of kooler kleen.
Good call. I was going to do that but couldnt remember the product. Add that to the list, thanks.

miesk5 - Thanks for all that info. I currently have the external add on filter (like Fireguy and countless others have done on their Broncos) and the trans has the internal magnet. Do you think I will need the additional filters? I also have the filter clip that holds the filter in, so I shouldnt need that magnet.

The harness connector seal kit... not sure on that. I couldnt get a feel for what that is for... is it for the solenoid pack connectors? The pic makes it look like a lot of internal seals and such. No??

Thanks for the tip on the TC leak test. I will probably have that done if I dont go with a new one. At least then I can put it in with some peace of mind.

you do not in any way have to remove any of the exhuast when removing the trans and transfer case good suggestion on the t-case rebuild though i did mine while it was out too,
Thanks yoomooman. I wasnt sure on that. I have read up on the removal process a couple of times. I will probly a few more before I do this.

Remember Ford changed the MLPS (both connector and pinout) between 94 and 95. Highly reccomend you get a new one.
Thanks WasACop... I have a brand new one on the trans I am taking out. Maybe I will switch it over.

I'd put a new oil pan gasket on it and a rear main seal. Its a Ford, its only time before they'll start to leak.
Hmmm oil pan gasket. How much more work is involved in that since the trans is out? I know mine seaps. Couldnt hurt to do it but its going to depend on how much additional work is involved. Dont you have to lift the engine to access it??

You don't need to touch the exhaust.

Rear main seal. It's quick, easy, and cheap.
Front pump seal is a good call
Update the MLPS
TC if funds allow it
Tranny cooler and external filter
U-joints
Thanks Stang. I got the external cooler and filter already. The second upgrade I ever did to the Bronco!! U joints is probly a good call!

So, the list is now:

Front Pump Seal
Rear Main Seal
Stator Shaft Seal
New Internal Filter and Pan Gasket
New Fluid
Lines and coolers cleaned
Move MLPS from current trans to new trans
Move Filter Clip from current trans to new trans

Possibles:
New TC
Inline filters beyond my current Wix external filter
Oil Pan Gasket
Harness Seal Kit

I also need a new solenoid pack harness.... anyone know where to get one of those (I am being lazy and not searching :brownbag)

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
Hmmm oil pan gasket. How much more work is involved in that since the trans is out? I know mine seaps. Couldnt hurt to do it but its going to depend on how much additional work is involved. Dont you have to lift the engine to access it??
When I did the pan on my 4.9, it made it much easier to remove the oil pan with the transmission out. If I had done it with the trans in place, I don't think I could have gotten the pan out without raising the motor up. It will also give you a chance to visually inspect the bottom end and depending on your miles, a new oil pump wouldn't be a terrible idea.

·
Super Moderator
29,084 Posts
Shane,
re: miesk5 - Thanks for all that info. I currently have the external add on filter (like Fireguy and countless others have done on their Broncos) and the trans has the internal magnet. Do you think I will need the additional filters? No, that filter you have will be aok

I also have the filter clip that holds the filter in, so I shouldnt need that magnet. Right

The harness connector seal kit... not sure on that. I couldnt get a feel for what that is for... is it for the solenoid pack connectors? Yes it's for the Solenoid Pack and you prob won't need it; mainly because it may take awhile to find one locally or @ Transtec since their on-line catalog search did not turn it up!. TransTec's part number for the seal is #32679.

Thanks for the tip on the TC leak test. I will probably have that done if I dont go with a new one. At least then I can put it in with some peace of mind. YW Shane and GL!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts