Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Ford Bronco XLT 302/E4OD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The whining only starts around 45mph and stays until I go below 45mph again and it makes no difference when I'm on the throttle or not. The whining itself is pretty sudden, as in it doesn't start quiet and get louder. Not really sure where to even start with this one as there's a multitude of things it could be. The sound itself is fairly high pitched but it's not very loud (between wind noise and my music it can barely be heard on the highway). It whines no matter what gear I'm in and engine rpm makes no difference. I'd sure love some help figuring this out especially since it bugs the hell out of me on my drive to work and back

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,372 Posts
Hey @topkick, so you're saying it only whines when you're driving? If that's the case, it's definitely driveline related and possibly your passenger side bearing, although bearing will make more of a grinding noise when they're about to go..

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,622 Posts
Ok, I cant resist.....

Whining coming from front passenger side

Tell the wife she cant ride anymore!!!

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,622 Posts
One thing you could do is to put your truck on jack stands all the way around and test the drive line while you are under it. If it is subtle at lower speeds you should be able to hear it while in gear and you are under it.

I don't know how fast you should take it up to, the last thing you want is for it to start to shimmy while you are under it. If your wheels are out of balance it will shimmy and shake while there is no weight on the tires. Be careful doing that if you try it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey @topkick, so you're saying it only whines when you're driving? If that's the case, it's definitely driveline related and possibly your passenger side bearing, although bearing will make more of a grinding noise when they're about to go..
Yeah I've had vehicles with bad wheel bearings before and it doesn't sound like the whining

Ok, I cant resist.....

Whining coming from front passenger side

Tell the wife she cant ride anymore!!!
Lmao that's a good one

One thing you could do is to put your truck on jack stands all the way around and test the drive line while you are under it. If it is subtle at lower speeds you should be able to hear it while in gear and you are under it.

I don't know how fast you should take it up to, the last thing you want is for it to start to shimmy while you are under it. If your wheels are out of balance it will shimmy and shake while there is no weight on the tires. Be careful doing that if you try it.
Might just have to do that. Hopefully shouldn't shimmy since I just got new tires and an alignment not too long ago. I've got a two post lift I can use but I don't know if that's safer than jack stands in this situation

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So after driving around a bit it's not doing it consistently and when it does it stops every once in a while. I tried to get a sound clip of the noise but of course when I want it to whine it won't, but it's definitely coming from the front right

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think wheel bearing too. I had a wheel bearing whine on a Tahoe when it was bad.
Does it go away when turning in a certain direction?

·
Registered
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
200 Posts
My 1982 XLT Lariat will start to whine when I pull the transfer case into 4H. When I put it back into 2H the whining will not go away until I come to a complete stop. Still cannot find the cause of that either.
Good luck to you. I hope you find the cause and can get it fixed.
TB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think wheel bearing too. I had a wheel bearing whine on a Tahoe when it was bad.
Does it go away when turning in a certain direction?
@Scazz I haven't had a chance to test if it goes away when turning since it only does it when I'm going over 45mph but I might take a trip up the mountain when I get off work and see. I was finally able to record it. It's a little hard to hear

My 1982 XLT Lariat will start to whine when I pull the transfer case into 4H. When I put it back into 2H the whining will not go away until I come to a complete stop. Still cannot find the cause of that either.
Good luck to you. I hope you find the cause and can get it fixed.
TB
@tbrooks Thanks I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually. If had to guess I'd say it's a bad bearing in your t-case.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Your video made me remember an issue I had with my 96. The wheel bearing seal on the back of the hub would rub against the oil slinger (right word?). Turned out the the oil slinger was dry, possibly from brake dust / broken dust shield and rubbing on the metal lip of the bearing seal.

In the image, number 6 is what I mistakenly referred to as an oil slinger. It was rubbing on the wheel bearing seal (number 7).

I diagnosed it by lifting the trouble side of the vehicle up. Then, I slid bearing grease between those two parts using a butter knife.

In regards to whining wheel bearings and turning, my Tahoe’s bad bearing would whine changing lanes on the highway; it does not have to be a full turn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Scazz ah I never would have thought of that. Thanks I'll have to see if that's my issue. Hopefully that's all it is. In regards to turning it makes no difference in the whining

1 - 11 of 11 Posts